GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web design standards."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/08/04 at 15:00
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
OK, I've taken a bit of a ribbing lately because I went headlong into HTML years and years ago, learnt what I thought was everything, then moved onto more complicated scripting languages, forgetting some of the most basic HTML things, like putting the tag in the proper place. I know where it goes, but my mind puts it there because I've done it so often. Anyway, enough of my problems, this is the place to list all your web design standards that you think every site should comform to.

Take it away, Tyla...
Fri 27/08/04 at 15:00
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
OK, I've taken a bit of a ribbing lately because I went headlong into HTML years and years ago, learnt what I thought was everything, then moved onto more complicated scripting languages, forgetting some of the most basic HTML things, like putting the tag in the proper place. I know where it goes, but my mind puts it there because I've done it so often. Anyway, enough of my problems, this is the place to list all your web design standards that you think every site should comform to.

Take it away, Tyla...
Fri 27/08/04 at 15:07
Regular
"SR's Nintendo Mania"
Navigation should be in the same place on every site!
Fri 27/08/04 at 15:14
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Current standards, and ones I work too:

XHTML 1.0 Strict or Transitional
CSS 1 & 2
XML 1.0
WAI AA
Section 508 if required
Basic HCI Principles
RNIB Guidelines
USEIT Usability Reccomendations
Fri 27/08/04 at 15:19
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Nutey Cubey wrote:
> Navigation should be in the same place on every site!

Not so easy... What if your lefthanded? Japanese? Physically impaired?

Standards are more about the delivery of the site and the function behind it and what goes into making it. Things like nav location comes under client needs as well as usability and accessibility. there's a difference
Fri 27/08/04 at 19:48
Regular
"Freeola Support"
HTML 4.0 at least although it will have to change to a mixture of XHTML 1 or 1.1 with CSS
Fri 27/08/04 at 20:23
Regular
Really BIG marquee text that scrolls across the screen REALLY fast!

Oh, and massive mouse pointers that leave a big trail of letters spelling out the name of the website when you move them.

But those are just the essentials really, I'll think of more.
Fri 27/08/04 at 20:25
Regular
Animated GIF's
No right-click scripts
Background that changes color every few seconds

The list is endless Grix, and will boost your websites appeal in seconds!
Fri 27/08/04 at 21:08
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Nutey Cubey wrote:
> Navigation should be in the same place on every site!

Did you perhaps mean place the navigation in the same place on every web page within the same web site?

This is something that is generally used as:

a) Users get used to the web site quickly, and can find what it is they want.
b) Its also easier on the web designer / coder.

Afternoon wrote:
> HTML 4.0 at least although it will have to change to a mixture of
> XHTML 1 or 1.1 with CSS

I'd say bump on up to xHTML 1.0 Transitional for now, as it's practically HTML 4 anyway. It'll save doing it later on, and make the bump up to xHTML 1.0 Strict far easier. I'm not sure that there is any need to worry about xHTML 1.1, as the difference is minimal, and xHTML 1.x (as far as I know) isn't being developed any further. While xHTML 2 shares the same brand, it'll apparently be something completely different (though Tyla would know a lot more about that that I would).

monkey_man wrote:
> Anyway, enough of my problems, this is the place to list all your web
> design standards that you think every site should comform to.

Get the structure right. Put your tags in the correct places, and things will be made a lot easier when coding your CSS. Use the W3C's online validator ([URL]http://validator.w3.org/[/URL]) to check if your mark-up is done correctly. Don't use style HTML tags (such as ,
or ) as that's what style sheets are for. Once you've nailed the structure, styling the page should become a lot easier, and you can also validate your CSS from the W3C's web site ([URL]http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/[/URL]).
Fri 27/08/04 at 21:41
"Are you sure?"
More important than 'standards' is making sure your site always displays up to date and correct information!

Don't [URL]http://www.digital-prozac.co.uk[/URL]
Fri 27/08/04 at 23:42
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Hmmm... wrote:
> More important than 'standards' is making sure your site always
> displays up to date and correct information!
>
> Don't [URL]http://www.digital-prozac.co.uk[/URL]

lol, I really should change that...

One of the downfalls of being a website designer. Your too busy workingon other projects to get wround to finishing your own site.

Currently I'm working on 18 sites which leaves me very little time to bother with my own. FWIW, it should look like this:

[URL]http://digital-prozac.users.digital-crocus.com[/URL]

And then changed to this

[URL]http://dev.digital-prozac.co.uk[/URL]

They're just playgrounds for me to experiment with, never really decided what I was going to do with the space.

One day I'll finish it, but unfortunatly Sony, 3Com, Cisco and HP have to come first

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.