GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web design standards."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/08/04 at 15:00
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
OK, I've taken a bit of a ribbing lately because I went headlong into HTML years and years ago, learnt what I thought was everything, then moved onto more complicated scripting languages, forgetting some of the most basic HTML things, like putting the tag in the proper place. I know where it goes, but my mind puts it there because I've done it so often. Anyway, enough of my problems, this is the place to list all your web design standards that you think every site should comform to.

Take it away, Tyla...
Mon 30/08/04 at 18:38
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Bright red backgrounds and the default blue links, because that makes life nice and easy for colour blind people to see them.

Uncompressed thumbnails are always fun, especially when the prevent the rest of the site from working.

99% of Javascript scripts, as they have no benefit to anyone.

[URL]http://webdeveloper.earthweb.com/repository/javascripts/2004/08/568371/OOCntrl.htm[/URL]
[URL]http://www.javascript-fx.com/submitscripts/fireworks/[/URL]

There's just so much annoying stuff...

Ooooooh, another, MIDI background music, how annoying do you want to be!?!

Adverts that are 'in your face.' Ones that fly across the screen in front of the text and try to trick you into thinking the grey cross in the image will close it. The Flash ones are more annoying, you can't close a lot of them until they've finished which can be over a minute some times.

Talking adverts! It's bad enough when it just sits there and flashes at you, but when an advert has a voice to it, it just makes me angry.
Mon 30/08/04 at 18:23
Regular
Thought of another one! Javascript stuff that pop ups and welcomes you to the site in one of those grey Windows boxes!

I forgot about Comic Sans too, well remembered. All the text has to be in Comic Sans.
Mon 30/08/04 at 10:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Turbonutter wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> PHP is so well documented and supported, it's perfect for most user
> needs, and it's easy to get to grips with.
>
> Not to mention the fact that it does so much out of the box.

Aye matey. Gyaaaaaargh.
Mon 30/08/04 at 09:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
monkey_man wrote:
> PHP is so well documented and supported, it's perfect for most user
> needs, and it's easy to get to grips with.

Not to mention the fact that it does so much out of the box.
Mon 30/08/04 at 00:17
Regular
Yes, we have an optional module on ASP next year. Guess it's a cert then.
Mon 30/08/04 at 00:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
PHP is so well documented and supported, it's perfect for most user needs, and it's easy to get to grips with.
Mon 30/08/04 at 00:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Mmm Microsoft are plugging ASP at the source - University Degrees. Of course this also means that in general, ASP qualified programmers get a lot more Wonga, which only serves to make it more popular, etc etc etc. On the other hand, there's no question at all in my mind, whatsoever, that PHP is better.
Sun 29/08/04 at 21:39
Regular
Never used ASP in my life. Getting more common now, I see.
Sun 29/08/04 at 11:39
Regular
I've just done 5 weeks work experience at a Software engineering company that works along side with a package called "SuperOffice" (some customer-relationship-management thing), they code "add-ons" for it.

While I was there, I was given the task of creating a Web application in ASP.NET and C#, creating an application that retrieves and edits a database (that can be used in SuperOffice) which contains product information and the like.

The amount of code just to CONNECT to the database and query it was ridicoulous.

ASP.Net = thumbs down.
Sun 29/08/04 at 10:25
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Monkey_man love PHP.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.