GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion's AI"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion'.
Thu 27/01/05 at 09:01
Regular
"8==="
"In fact, one of the interesting problems that the team has had to face came about precisely because the AI is so good. According to Howard, the AI has caused guards to decide to eat and go hunting deer, only to get themselves arrested for attacking something. When they fight back against the arresting guard, the other guards see a fight and try to join in.

In not too much time, every guard in the town was involved in the scuffle, which left the rest of the town open to thievery by other NPCs, resulting in empty stores. Much of the team's current effort is going into putting sensible governors on the AI's behavior to avoid situations like empty stores that would result in situations that wouldn't be fun for the player."
Sat 29/01/05 at 21:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I know what you mean - I wish I'd got it on PC so I could've had some mods that added some life into the surroundings.

But still, I got immersed.

Tis strange, the player 'rewards' (i.e, like in Zelda, you get some awesome new place to explore or weapon to use etc) are tiny in Morrowind - some money, or some crappy rank, due to the size of the game. Yet I couldn't stop doing the quests!
Sat 29/01/05 at 19:18
Regular
It wasn't the stats that really bothered me with the previous game.

It was the combat and the pages and pages of beardy text. Go to talk to someone and you're presented by an essay about god knows what, it hurt my eyes just looking at it.

Oh and the surrounding were a bit lifeless really, sure there was a lot of stuff to explore. But I didn't feel compelled too for the simple reason that it didn't look very intresting, the whole world was drawn with a pallet of brown, green, black and darker brown. It just seemed insanely dull to me.
Sat 29/01/05 at 18:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hedfix wrote:
> There's more gore and they're sorting out the combat.
>
> It'll have a wider appeal.

And yet it'll still be beardy stats, mega uber aimless world and whole initiaitve on the player.

So, I'll like it, but dawgs like Tiltawhirl will get bored.

Not saying he's shallow or anything.

:)

;)
Sat 29/01/05 at 13:16
Regular
"8==="
It hasn't got a confirmed release at all

It's Xbox 2 possibly (read most likely)
Sat 29/01/05 at 11:39
Regular
Has this got a confirmed Xbox release then?
Fri 28/01/05 at 21:40
Regular
"8==="
There's more gore and they're sorting out the combat.

It'll have a wider appeal.
Fri 28/01/05 at 16:55
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> That sounds kinda cool.
>
> Might even be a purchase if they tone down the really beardy stuff.

Fat chance.

I reckon if you loved/hated Morrowind, the same'll apply here.
Fri 28/01/05 at 06:23
Regular
As long as they don't tone down the AI too much, I might check it out.
Thu 27/01/05 at 23:52
Regular
That sounds kinda cool.

Might even be a purchase if they tone down the really beardy stuff.
Thu 27/01/05 at 23:10
Regular
"Selected"
It'd be fun to see a whole town rioting.

I'd really crack some skulls.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.