GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why does PS2 have no decent games?!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/05/01 at 17:56
Regular
I bought my PS2 soon after release and it only serves to bring continual disappointment. Games come in dibs and drabs with very few titles worth buying (SSX, Timesplitters).
Magazines only ever seem to FEATURE the next generation of must-have titles as the release dates just get put further and further back. So in the meantime, developers (crappy and reputable) put out average to awful games in order to exploit us, the consumers who are desparate for games. I do concede that some games are of a good standard. But I have bought a next generation console. I dont want good, I want the best!!!
I was most hopefull for Zone of the Enders, but just turned out to be an incredibly tedious blaster so I returned it (after playing the MGS2 demo to death!)

I bought my PS2 to play games on and treated the DVD as an extra. As it stands, it is completely the other way around.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Mon 07/05/01 at 09:45
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
PS2 doesnt do 85 million Polygons a second. There have been rumors of 75 million and 66 million but I dont think 85 million. I think it could do about 20 million with all the effects e.t.c As they only quote the polygons a second with no effects at all, just basic polygons which arent really used in games as they have no texture and look rubbish.
Mon 07/05/01 at 09:50
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
From the Offical PS2 mag the first every one it says.

Maximum Polygon rate = 75 million polygon/second
3D CG Geometric Transformation = 66 million polygon/second

Mon 07/05/01 at 09:52
Regular
Adrian, that was a value for the number of untextured poly's. The actual number you get on your screen is a lot lower, around 20 million i think.
Mon 07/05/01 at 10:01
Wha? OH! You mean TV... I got a 14-inch one, but it is new and clear as a bell. High definition too.
Mon 07/05/01 at 10:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Your Honour wrote:
> Adrian, that was a value for the number of untextured poly's. The
> actual number you get on your screen is a lot lower, around 20
> million i think.

If you have read a previous post I said it as around 20 million with all the effects. I was just posting the maximum amount it could generate as somebody thought it could 85 million but It cant. The figures I posted were untextured like I had said in a previous post, which arent really used in games.
Mon 07/05/01 at 10:45
Regular
Yeah i realsied that after i'd already posted.

I was hoping no-one would notice....

:-)
Mon 07/05/01 at 10:46
Yeppers!
Mon 07/05/01 at 11:31
Regular
I`m sure that there were rumours it would surpass the 20 million mark and reach 25.
Mon 07/05/01 at 13:25
"High polygon count"
GT3 is allegedly pushing 20 million polys/sec now. I'm sure it will improve as techniques are further developed.

I wouldn't like to say by how much by, but looking at the PS1's history, it could be substantial. If you could go back in time to PlayStation's launch and show someone footage of the original GT, they'd probably never believe you when you said it was the same machine.
Mon 07/05/01 at 13:28
Regular
Exactly, if they can do the same they did with the PSone, then we will see some really high polygon counts.

I tell you what though, I`ll give them a quick count myself if I get GT3, and let you know.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.