GetDotted Domains

At GetDotted, a 1 year .co.uk, .uk, .me.uk or .org.uk registration is now just £1.95 ex VAT.

Search Domains Now

Viewing Thread:
"What constitutes a life sentence?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/08/04 at 20:14
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Posts: 14,499
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3556304.stm[/URL]

Convicted rapist wins 7 million whilst on day release from his life sentence of...7 years? Doesn't sound much like a life sentence to me, but I'm sketchy on the law of this. Lucky bloke though - 7 year holiday, then gets a massive bundle of cash right near the end!

What are the chances, meh, meeeeeeh!?!
Tue 17/08/04 at 19:45
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Posts: 2,339
Foszy wrote:
> Well its only vry recently that Norwegians dont have compulsary
> conscription.

Yes, the difference being that the Norwegians probably didn't treat the average soldier worse than most animals are treated.

Recruits in the USSR's army were drawn from all over the state, so you'd have a mix of languages, if you didn't speak russian then you'd get the worst jobs from an already crap job. Recruits would, over their 2-3 year conscription, be bullied for at least 1 year of that by older recruits, suicide rates were well past those of any western army and that's just going on what was actually recorded. Not to mention the fact that you're estimated survival in any actual war - and this is conventional and not nuclear - was less than one day. Those lucky enough to have an APC were happy in the knowledge that they were sometimes called "cookers" by NATO, with reference to the fact that the exposed fuel tanks and hard to exit hatches...
Tue 17/08/04 at 17:24
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Posts: 2,085
Belldandy wrote:
> Foszy wrote:
> Must have been a great time to live...
>
> If you were in the top level of equality sure...but 95% were not...
> and "everyone" (who was male anyway) had the fun of being
> conscripted for a couple of years. Which must have been a barrel of
> laughs, unless you were really clever in which case you got recruited
> for the missile forces.

Well its only vry recently that Norwegians dont have compulsary conscription.
Tue 17/08/04 at 15:37
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Posts: 4,884
Belldandy wrote:

> If you were in the top level of equality sure...but 95% were not...

Hey, that's almost as bad as in America, where 2% of the population control 75% of the wealth. Wow...under your logic, people really were better off under communism. Does that mean when you insinuated that the anti war protests were ran by commies, you were actually praising them? Are you actually anti war and I've misunderstood you all this time? Or are you just a dumbassed fat boy who doesn't think before posting?

> and "everyone" (who was male anyway) had the fun of being
> conscripted for a couple of years.

Not like in America or Europe eh? Where there was...the draft. Oh, and National Service. Umm...
Tue 17/08/04 at 15:24
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Posts: 2,339
Foszy wrote:
> Must have been a great time to live...

If you were in the top level of equality sure...but 95% were not... and "everyone" (who was male anyway) had the fun of being conscripted for a couple of years. Which must have been a barrel of laughs, unless you were really clever in which case you got recruited for the missile forces.
Tue 17/08/04 at 12:54
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Posts: 4,884
maddmun wrote:

> It happens all the time,


Huh? You got any figures to back that up?
Tue 17/08/04 at 12:53
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Posts: 4,884
Belldandy wrote:

> Put it this way, Light's been on about piracy

Y'know, I can get you some help in understanding the definition of "Ignore" if you like?

> (ironically at the one
> person who did buy it instead of those who say they didn't) in
> another forum and him and Goatboy both repeat the line that software
> piracy is linked to terrorism/crime etc.

Heh. You really do think irony is a descriptive term for metal don't you?

I think you'll find that we were having a pop at you for your illegal downloading when you spend so much time saluting Justice. You only started talking about having bought it after that. So in other words, you're lying. Again.


Oh, and everyone sharing everything in a communal fasion is indeed called communism. Hence the common root of the two words (commune; do you see?). However, I think what you're trying, in your ill-informed and self-important "look at me, aren't I clever and you're so dumb" kind of way to say, is that when applied to politics there are many different types of communism (trots, marxist-leninists, stalinists, etc etc).

It's SO funny that you can't even bear to admit to being less than 100% perfect on a little dig at you about your "Communists are evil" past...
Sun 15/08/04 at 23:55
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Posts: 2,085
Belldandy wrote:
> No you can't call it Russian either....*sighs* What the USSR had was
> the idea where all are equal, but some were more important so there
> were levels of equality, in other words Communism with a Russian
> stamp on it.

Must have been a great time to live...
Sun 15/08/04 at 23:49
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
Posts: 7,914
maddmun wrote:
> Nah, you can plead for temporary insanity at that moment, hence why
> you caused death.
> It happens all the time, a mans wife is raped, so he picks up a
> knife/gun and kills the rapist (if he happens to know him). He pleads
> guilty, but also pleads temporary insanity at the time, which can
> lessen the severity of a sentence.
> All you need is proof of what caused it, and like, no history of
> insanity whatsoever.

I'm not sure your right there. In 1843, the M'Naughten case laid down the law for insanity. To you insanity as a defence it has to be proved that at the time of the crime he suffered from a disease of the mind. The defendant also needs to be suffering from an illness that (a) disturbed his mind so much he didn't know what he was doing, or (b) prevented him from realising what he was doing was wrong.

I don't think that in the court of law, the judge and jury would see the fact that someones wife had been raped as a disease of the mind.

However, in your senario, where a man kills his wifes rapist, he would be able to plead diminished responsibility. Even then it would be up to the jury to decide if it was enough to 'impaire his mental responsibility for his acts'.

The thing about using insanity as a defense, is that if it is successful, and you are not imprisioned, you may be placed under the Mental Health Act and put into a secure hospital which is harder to get out of than prision is!
Fri 13/08/04 at 23:17
Regular
Posts: 20,776
Belldandy wrote:
> If it can be dreamnt of then it is possible, who knows how, but it is
> possible.

I disagree. Everyone has a different idea of a perfect society. To some it is everyone being equal, no-one wanting for anything, everyone fed, clothed and has access to medicine.

To others this is their idea of hell. They want to rise above others, to become significantly more advanced, either financially, through love, possessions or achievements. Those who cannot attain this same level may become jealous. It stands to reason that these people may go outside the boundaries of the law to attain what they crave.

One of our greatest strengths as humans is the desire to constantly better ourselves. If bettering ourselves 'steps on other peoples toes' to use a metaphor, it's going to cause un-rest, either trivially or seriously. Trivially it would be an arguement, seriously it would involve crime or war.

It just won't work. People will break the law no matter how easy you make it for them to stay within it. Everyone is different, and everyone has their own ideas about what is morally right and wrong. And if someones morals conflict with the law, it's more likely they will stick to their morals.
Fri 13/08/04 at 22:58
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Posts: 2,339
No you can't call it Russian either....*sighs* What the USSR had was the idea where all are equal, but some were more important so there were levels of equality, in other words Communism with a Russian stamp on it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.