GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Whole New World"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/04/01 at 09:38
Regular
*Stops singing Disney's Aladdin songs...*

Oh, Hi there...

This isn't really a Gameaday post, just a general chatty thing. I just felt I might talk about the Dreamcast I am getting this week. So, Here goes...

...Yahoooooooooooo!

On a more serious note...

...Yes!

Okay, okay, enough of that...but I really am quite excited, well, that might not be the right word to use but I am quite looking forward to this Saturday, I mean, I used to see Dreamcast games in a different light. I know it sounds strange but I used to almost think that Sega were making games for the sheer fun of it!

I have had a N64 for about 3-4 years now and I am very happy with it, games like Conker and Banjo make it all worth it. But just recently, with the realisation of getting a Dreamcast I will actually be able to play games like Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue.

"Whoopie Doo" You might say, but this IS a good thing. Of course, everyone is used to their own console but when you get a new one, especially one with such a strong, diverse range of titles like the Dreamcast, you are opened up to a whole new world of games, ones that maybe you wouldn't have thought you'd have owned before or that you'd be able to play until your heart's content.

I always, kinda took the Dreamcast for granted, I haven't got one....yet, but when ever I would go into Comet or the like to play on the consoles, I would go to the Nintendo selection....'Full'...Damn. so the I might move on to the PS2 section, (as it was the next one along) 'Full' Blast!, Okay, last chance...The Dreamcast section. I don't know why I left it til last, I mean with games like Skies of Arcadia (Best RPG Ever...) how can the Dreamcast be bad...

I have just come to realise that there isn't really anything bad about the Dreamcast... 4 Controller Ports...Internet Access.....Great Games.....128 Bit....Plenty of Handy peripherals. The PS2 may not have many titles and the N64 might not have the best FMV's ever...(What FMV's?!) But really the Dreamcast doesn't fall short in any areas...Okay it doesn't have Mario or and Rare games, but you don't see Solid Snake on Nintendo either...everyone console has its exclusive charachter, mascot or not. Dreamcast doesn't have to be any different.

I think that the full effect of the Dreamcast is only just coming into play. The DC was way ahead of its time...If released now, it could easily compete with the Playstation 2, at a lower price even @ £199. I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure how the DC would fare if released today, and frankly I don't care...All I care about is the FUTURE of Sega and the games that we play.

Sony fans might never accept Nintendo Systems and Nintendo Fans will probably NEVER accept Sony systems...true fans anyway, but have you ever noticed, that both of these fans have a mutual respect for Sega and the Dreamcast? I wonder why that is...It might be that the DC is dying...Nah, I think not....With games like CT2 and Shenmue 2 how can It be. Maybe, just maybe, it is because there are loads of Quality games for the console that have provided endless fun through the likes of Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure and JSR. I have always thought that most N64 games were good but there weren't too many of them and that PSX games weren't brilliant but there were loads. I do think that the DC has the best of both worlds here, as there are loads of great games and even more games that come above average.

All in all I can't wait to be playing Crazy Taxi...Skies of Arcadia...you many not realise this but having the oppostitions console is a good thing...you get all the good games...all the different genres...and now I can play the best platformers on my N64, hop into the othe rooms and play some of the best RPG's and Racers in history...

Yeah....!

Now, how to get a PS2 with £125...:D
Tue 01/05/01 at 12:51
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Congrats Gronti!... Top post man! :)
Tue 01/05/01 at 12:47
Regular
To everyone who is going on about Micrsoft Operating systems, the DC uses one. Windows CE.

To start with not many of the games actually use it, they use a standalone system on the GD ROM.

Secondly the CE version of windows is a cut down, reliable version of windows. Has anyone here had their DC crash? I havent.

The reason that windows crashes is simple. Each to time you install stuff onto your PC, it changes the OS so that it will work better with the installed software. After you've installed loads of things the OS is changed so much its no longer stable.

If you want your PC to be stable and crash free, dont install too much stuff on it. Think when you're installing stuff, if you dont really need it, then dont bother putting it on your PC, it will save you a lot of hassle in the future.
Tue 01/05/01 at 12:42
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
gronti's post is in yellow becuase he has won GAD. Nice touch. Since when has this feature been going?
Tue 01/05/01 at 10:20
It's true that Microsoft have dodgy operating systems (I'm talking about you ME!... Uhh, Millenium Edition that is) but overall they work to an acceptable standard. Anyway, the consoles with their Operating Systems coming some time in the not too distant future will probably get them from Microsoft (so that they're a bit dodgy) or from some other smaller company (who don't have the funds to afford a department dedicated to putting the bugs in which make you want to upgrade)... Anyway the result is that you'll probably get a dodgy OS regardless.
Still, you can't blame the PC itself for the evil dictator Microsoft having full control of all Operating Systems. So overall the PC is great and has great games, plus the OS isn't really that bad.
Tue 01/05/01 at 01:41
don't do it man, dreamcasts are being dis-continued and sega are becoming soely a games developing company. get a ps2.
oh dear don't write in capitals it might be seen as shouting and god forbid that.
Tue 01/05/01 at 00:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
VenomByte wrote:

Consoles will never use dodgy microsoft operating systems.

^^^^^^^^^^I found it, I found it!^^^^^^^^^^

*Dances with joy* Or was it *Dances with Volvos* or *Dances with Wolves*

Hmmmm....Anyhoo...I found it....

Yeah....
Mon 30/04/01 at 23:34
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Buy a console. Consoles will never use dodgy microsoft operating systems. Stay away from microsoft, get a console, not a PC.

*Spot the deliberate error above*
Mon 30/04/01 at 20:36
Sure, why not?

umm... Repeat that... *fzzzzzfz* N*ff*GA*ffzzzzzzzz* (Smash) Gr*fffff* *Bzzt*.

Uhh, I think they told us to kill the intruder... Set phasers to sing!
Mon 30/04/01 at 20:15
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
A Grontosaurus. Is it real. It's been a long time since they found the last one in the Lake of Pistue, far region, sector 7
Mon 30/04/01 at 20:12
Perhaps... (that's replying a bit further down)... But there are other advantages to the PC. Patches for example if there are any problems at all with a game they can generally be fixed with a patch, of course this could be considered a disadvantage because some games actually need them. Another advantage would be mods and various other upgrades, it's things like this that made Half-Life great and that keep FPS multi-player on-line games going and you just can't get that for a console. There are the huge on-line communities, which the consoles are only just going into but generally with slow modems while PCs are minimum 56k nowadays and can get cable connections with super speeds. There are an awful lot of games for the PC that a console couldn't nearly do as well for example any RTS (they don't have the control systems) and well as you say B&W. Many games are good for the consoles that maybe wouldn't port over to PC well but they don't have to really because there are so many good PC games.

Now, I must say that I own a console and think that it is great as a back-up to my PC or even if I've only got 15 minutes to play something in but generally I find the PC to be a better platform overall. The thing is that with all the competition in consoles to get a large choice of great games you really should own more than one, whereas a PC has a huge range of games which will all work on it.

One of my favorite games is WWF:No Mercy on the N64 (that sounds like the sort of excuse racists use... "Some of my best friends are black") but it may be a good sign as to what I mean. I'm referring of course to the major bug in it which resulted in all copies (eventually) having to be replaced. Sure I've got a fixed version now but it took months to fix. If it had been for the PC I could have downloaded a patch (or obtained one from a magazine cover CD) and had it fixed within days most probably. It's also out of date for the music and characters, now had it been a PC game I could maybe have downloaded new music and things to try and keep the characters up to date. Okay, I'm not saying that the PC would have better wrestling games because wrestling games and beat em ups are generally better on a console due to the compatibility of the control system... But then there are no (or almost no) wrestling games or beat em ups on the PC.

That's another point really, you can get some great wrestling games etc. on a console but other than that the PC can match or beat anything the consoles have. Plus PCs are really the only platform for flight sims and RTSs and are generally better for RPGs due to the space requirements of the larger ones (eg. Baldur's Gate). Freespace 2 is one of the best games ever and there is no way that a console version or a console flight sim could ever be as good unless they let you use a keyboard and joystick or other control mechanism which has several buttons. Black & White (as we've already mentioned) may never have been created if they couldn't have made it for the PC. Of course It's possible that they could convert it to console but without a mouse it just wouldn't be as good and they may have to reduce the quality of the game in other ways.

Really, what's happening with consoles it seems is that they are slowly becoming mini-PCs, they get internet connections, they'll be getting operating systems, they'll be getting (more) upgradability and soon enough it'll be difficult to distinguish between the two. If the prices keep increasing as they are it may be that they end up more expensive than PCs even! The X-Box has so many PC elements they may as well just call it a console/PC hybrid and have done with it.

One day, perhaps the PC will be the only games machine... Who knows?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.