GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Whole New World"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/04/01 at 09:38
Regular
*Stops singing Disney's Aladdin songs...*

Oh, Hi there...

This isn't really a Gameaday post, just a general chatty thing. I just felt I might talk about the Dreamcast I am getting this week. So, Here goes...

...Yahoooooooooooo!

On a more serious note...

...Yes!

Okay, okay, enough of that...but I really am quite excited, well, that might not be the right word to use but I am quite looking forward to this Saturday, I mean, I used to see Dreamcast games in a different light. I know it sounds strange but I used to almost think that Sega were making games for the sheer fun of it!

I have had a N64 for about 3-4 years now and I am very happy with it, games like Conker and Banjo make it all worth it. But just recently, with the realisation of getting a Dreamcast I will actually be able to play games like Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue.

"Whoopie Doo" You might say, but this IS a good thing. Of course, everyone is used to their own console but when you get a new one, especially one with such a strong, diverse range of titles like the Dreamcast, you are opened up to a whole new world of games, ones that maybe you wouldn't have thought you'd have owned before or that you'd be able to play until your heart's content.

I always, kinda took the Dreamcast for granted, I haven't got one....yet, but when ever I would go into Comet or the like to play on the consoles, I would go to the Nintendo selection....'Full'...Damn. so the I might move on to the PS2 section, (as it was the next one along) 'Full' Blast!, Okay, last chance...The Dreamcast section. I don't know why I left it til last, I mean with games like Skies of Arcadia (Best RPG Ever...) how can the Dreamcast be bad...

I have just come to realise that there isn't really anything bad about the Dreamcast... 4 Controller Ports...Internet Access.....Great Games.....128 Bit....Plenty of Handy peripherals. The PS2 may not have many titles and the N64 might not have the best FMV's ever...(What FMV's?!) But really the Dreamcast doesn't fall short in any areas...Okay it doesn't have Mario or and Rare games, but you don't see Solid Snake on Nintendo either...everyone console has its exclusive charachter, mascot or not. Dreamcast doesn't have to be any different.

I think that the full effect of the Dreamcast is only just coming into play. The DC was way ahead of its time...If released now, it could easily compete with the Playstation 2, at a lower price even @ £199. I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure how the DC would fare if released today, and frankly I don't care...All I care about is the FUTURE of Sega and the games that we play.

Sony fans might never accept Nintendo Systems and Nintendo Fans will probably NEVER accept Sony systems...true fans anyway, but have you ever noticed, that both of these fans have a mutual respect for Sega and the Dreamcast? I wonder why that is...It might be that the DC is dying...Nah, I think not....With games like CT2 and Shenmue 2 how can It be. Maybe, just maybe, it is because there are loads of Quality games for the console that have provided endless fun through the likes of Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure and JSR. I have always thought that most N64 games were good but there weren't too many of them and that PSX games weren't brilliant but there were loads. I do think that the DC has the best of both worlds here, as there are loads of great games and even more games that come above average.

All in all I can't wait to be playing Crazy Taxi...Skies of Arcadia...you many not realise this but having the oppostitions console is a good thing...you get all the good games...all the different genres...and now I can play the best platformers on my N64, hop into the othe rooms and play some of the best RPG's and Racers in history...

Yeah....!

Now, how to get a PS2 with £125...:D
Mon 30/04/01 at 09:38
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
*Stops singing Disney's Aladdin songs...*

Oh, Hi there...

This isn't really a Gameaday post, just a general chatty thing. I just felt I might talk about the Dreamcast I am getting this week. So, Here goes...

...Yahoooooooooooo!

On a more serious note...

...Yes!

Okay, okay, enough of that...but I really am quite excited, well, that might not be the right word to use but I am quite looking forward to this Saturday, I mean, I used to see Dreamcast games in a different light. I know it sounds strange but I used to almost think that Sega were making games for the sheer fun of it!

I have had a N64 for about 3-4 years now and I am very happy with it, games like Conker and Banjo make it all worth it. But just recently, with the realisation of getting a Dreamcast I will actually be able to play games like Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue.

"Whoopie Doo" You might say, but this IS a good thing. Of course, everyone is used to their own console but when you get a new one, especially one with such a strong, diverse range of titles like the Dreamcast, you are opened up to a whole new world of games, ones that maybe you wouldn't have thought you'd have owned before or that you'd be able to play until your heart's content.

I always, kinda took the Dreamcast for granted, I haven't got one....yet, but when ever I would go into Comet or the like to play on the consoles, I would go to the Nintendo selection....'Full'...Damn. so the I might move on to the PS2 section, (as it was the next one along) 'Full' Blast!, Okay, last chance...The Dreamcast section. I don't know why I left it til last, I mean with games like Skies of Arcadia (Best RPG Ever...) how can the Dreamcast be bad...

I have just come to realise that there isn't really anything bad about the Dreamcast... 4 Controller Ports...Internet Access.....Great Games.....128 Bit....Plenty of Handy peripherals. The PS2 may not have many titles and the N64 might not have the best FMV's ever...(What FMV's?!) But really the Dreamcast doesn't fall short in any areas...Okay it doesn't have Mario or and Rare games, but you don't see Solid Snake on Nintendo either...everyone console has its exclusive charachter, mascot or not. Dreamcast doesn't have to be any different.

I think that the full effect of the Dreamcast is only just coming into play. The DC was way ahead of its time...If released now, it could easily compete with the Playstation 2, at a lower price even @ £199. I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure how the DC would fare if released today, and frankly I don't care...All I care about is the FUTURE of Sega and the games that we play.

Sony fans might never accept Nintendo Systems and Nintendo Fans will probably NEVER accept Sony systems...true fans anyway, but have you ever noticed, that both of these fans have a mutual respect for Sega and the Dreamcast? I wonder why that is...It might be that the DC is dying...Nah, I think not....With games like CT2 and Shenmue 2 how can It be. Maybe, just maybe, it is because there are loads of Quality games for the console that have provided endless fun through the likes of Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure and JSR. I have always thought that most N64 games were good but there weren't too many of them and that PSX games weren't brilliant but there were loads. I do think that the DC has the best of both worlds here, as there are loads of great games and even more games that come above average.

All in all I can't wait to be playing Crazy Taxi...Skies of Arcadia...you many not realise this but having the oppostitions console is a good thing...you get all the good games...all the different genres...and now I can play the best platformers on my N64, hop into the othe rooms and play some of the best RPG's and Racers in history...

Yeah....!

Now, how to get a PS2 with £125...:D
Mon 30/04/01 at 11:55
Here's an interesting one:

RPG.

What does it mean? Role Playing Game of course and we all know that. But what does it mean? Well, I suppose the best definition would be "a game in which you create a character and take him/her/it through the game making choices based on how your character would act and gaining experience so that you can increase your skills and abilities". That might do. So why is Zelda an RPG? You are given a character, Link, you don't get to choose any stats he will have, there are no real character interaction decisions and he gains no experience and cannot choose any skills (though some are forced upon you). Why do some people still say it's an RPG? It's not even a semi-RPG such as Diablo (character development but little interaction with other characters).

Well anyway, you say Arcadia is the best RPG ever...
You haven't played it though? How do you know?
Have you played Fallout (1 and 2) and Baldur's Gate (1 and 2)? Now those are great true RPGs. They bring the pen and paper roots of RPG to your computer. Now I haven't played Arcadia but I have a funny feeling that it's either going to be the kind of RPG like Final Fantasy (fun, but not quite great RPG work) or something with so few actual choices that it's not really an RPG. This tends to be the problem with console RPGs, can they really be as good as the PC competition? I doubt it, with all the resources at the PCs disposal console RPGs may be left behind.
I haven't heard that much about this Arcadia I must admit but what I have heard really could go either way.
I think that it will be some time before a console RPG can really match a PC one.

Anyway, now... I've said it before and i'll say it again. Crazy Taxi is just a slightly less violent version of the very old game Quarantine. So just so you know, it's not original (not that you said it was, if it's fun play it just make sure you know it's been done before).

The main point of your post, I think ,was that the competition of consoles means that you get every type of game and plenty of choice. So why not just get a PC? There are tons of developers working for the PC who make loads of original, great and above all fun games. And is having to pay about £500 or so for all three consoles and then paying on average about £50-60 a game really worth it? Then you will have to get the new consoles when they stop making games for the old ones. A PC would maybe cost the same basic (£500) but it will most likely last longer and the games cost about half that of console games. Plus there are so many games availiable for the PC (because of the many developers concentrating on it) that you will never be short of choices.

Well I was just saying, tell me what you think (if you can understand all this, I know I can't).
Mon 30/04/01 at 14:02
Regular
I can't agreee with what you've said Gronti.

Yes, there are, lots of great games on PC's, but for pure games, consoles are the best bet. At the moment anyway, this situation may well change in the future.

I have a PC and a DC, and I play far more games on the DC. Titles like MSR, Virtua Tennis, PSO, along the with the ones you've already mentioned, wouldn't be released on a PC. If they were, I don't think they would be as good.

There's just something about playing console games. You dont have to sit at a desk for a start, you can relax when playing. The game is set up for the controller you're using, so the controls are well arranged (normally anyway). Also you dont have to make sure you have up to date drivers for everything, a problem i had with B&W recently.

But the best thing about consoles, especially the N64 and the DC, is the four-mates-around-a-telly multiplayer frantic action. It just can't be beaten.
Mon 30/04/01 at 17:01
Regular
What games are you going to get first?
Mon 30/04/01 at 17:03
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
If I got one, Sould calibur and MSR! Probably Shenmue too

Darkness
Mon 30/04/01 at 17:20
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I don't know if you're asking me that question Grix but the game I should get are...

Skies of Arcadia - Graphics, Best RPG since Secret of Mana in my book.

PSO - How can any DC owner be without it.

Crazy Taxi - Enough said!

Sonic Adventure - Preparation for playing the best Sonic game ever, whats better practice the playing the games predecessor?!

Sega Bass Fishing - My mate likes it....:P

Game
Mon 30/04/01 at 17:23
Regular
Get MSR and Virtua Tennis as soon as you can.

They are both amazing!
Mon 30/04/01 at 17:28
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I have Mario Tennis. I have no need for Virtua Tennis. Mario Tennis is better. So there.

I might get it when SR sell it for about £15->£20 but I wouldn't pay anymore for it.

I was in Dixons today and they had buy one get one free on all DC games....shame the offer ended about a month ago after 2 weeks of starting up!

SR is best, I am just biding my time, waiting for the raptu.....I mean uh... the Dreamcast Software sale.

Game
Mon 30/04/01 at 17:57
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
The Game wrote:
PSO - How can any DC owner be without
> it.

I don't have it :O

I also do not have MSR, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, any tennis games...should I be spanked for this? ;-)

Mon 30/04/01 at 18:02
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
maybe by Wilmaaaaa or devo, but I'm not into that sort of thing......

:P

The Game

(Just Kidding....about Wilmaaaa and Devo, not about the 'not being into that sort of thing' thing.)

Ha!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.