GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer Games Kill....Again!!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/07/04 at 13:41
Regular
"Insert Gently"
Front of the Daily Mail I was reading an article about a lad obsessed with Manhunt, so much so he lured one of his best friends out and killed him with a hammer and knife. Then the idiot got caught by walking around wearing blood-stained clothes and a knapsack full of weapons.

The mother of the victim is now sueing Rockstar Games over Manhunt, which would render Manhunt to be banned in the UK. Manhunt is already banned in New Zealand and a few other countries. This is not the first time the Daily Mail has 'slated' Rockstar for its games, last year they called for Vice City to be banned due to its violent nature.

I think that it takes a certain person to go out after playing Manhunt or Vice City, and go killing them in the same nature. After playing Vice City solid i didn't want to kill people with a chainsaw or become a mob boss. The same goes for Manhunt and other violent games, after finishing Manhunt I didn't feel the need to slaughter one one my mates by stalking them and killing them with a Sainsbury's bag or a glass shard.

Although I thought was this lad had done was evil and horrible, I think it is yet another witch hunt against the games industry becuase the Daily Mail needs someone to point the finger at, because not everyone reacts in a way to this.
Thu 29/07/04 at 16:11
"Long time no see"
This happens from time to time. Violent game/film gets released, violent crime occurs - game/film takes the blame. It's ridiculous. It seems to be a way of shifting blame. The parents or relatives of the victim and/or the guilty party simply can't accept that this kind of violence can exist in a world that can actually touch them.

If you look back just a few years it's happened time and time again. A couple of kids shoot school mates and or teachers to death and not once has the blaim been firmly attributed to the guilty party. It's either "This child listened to Judas Priest backwards and it told him to do it." or "My child watched Child's Play 3, which corrupted him/her."

More recently the music has been Eminem or Marilyn Manson that they've blaimed. Or the Columbine shootings were the Matrix took some of the blame. The parents are never to blaim, occasionally the sadistic youth or youths will actually recieve some blame as will the messed up society.

The scary thing is that the games that are widely complained about i.e. Most of Rockstars back catalogue, are based (all be it loosely at times) on reality.
GTA - Crime, street crime, drug trafficing, car theft, mugging, etc... all regular activities all over the world.
It's nothing new, its just people are used to identifying with the myth of hero. They're used to seeing a one man army triumph over actual evils of the world. Ironically, this guy doesn't exist. Ever.

The thing with Manhunt is that it taps into an area of society that people like to think doesn't exist. It dares to face the topic of the underworld snuff movie makers - not only that but it puts you in the role of a "star" of the show.

The thing the papers forget is that Rockstar just taps into the nastier side of reality.

If you ask me, they should be sueing the messed up world that inspired Rockstar in the first place - if they're going to sue for someone influencing someone else, they may as well sue the game buying public for happily buying the game and giving Rockstar the idea that it was ok to supply the demand.

But that would mean blaiming individuals who purchased the game rather than the game itself.... so it'll never happen.

Weird no?
Thu 29/07/04 at 15:31
Regular
"\\"
*doesn't invent the lightsabre*
Thu 29/07/04 at 15:09
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
Well it's having an impact, Dixons have taken it off their shelves, and many other high street shops are now thinking about it!

Personally think it's stupid myself, he was underage and obviously weak minded if he's gonna blame it on a computer game! I've been playing computer games well over 15 years and never wanted to kill anyone, (although clouting someone with a lightsaber would be fun! :) ) Arrgggg somebody stop me!!!
Thu 29/07/04 at 14:39
"slightlyshortertagl"
You read the Daily Mail?

:|
Thu 29/07/04 at 14:29
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
DiscoDexy wrote:
> Puddleface wrote:
> We arnt allowed to eat white bread now because the daily mail...
>
> Its actually Brown Bread that is the culpret - tricks people into
> thinking that its healthy, when really it contains more k-kals and
> grams of Fat than white bread does! Tasty though.

Yes, does that mean I can eat Warburtons tastey white bread again!,yippppeeeeeeeeeeee
Thu 29/07/04 at 14:28
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
Dont u think its the actual 17 year old kids fault and not Manhunt. After all it was the 17 year old kid who killed the boy with his own will. The only way Manhhunt would be responsible for his death is if he used the games packaging as a weapon.

The parents are doing a much worser job blaming it on games, which will inturn entice more people to play Manhunt because of the media exposure.I wouldnt be surprised if there was a sudden surge of retail interest in Manhunt again.

Also films are much worse than videogames, mainly because they are actually "real" and not set in a virtual world. I think people have to accpet that these sort of things happen, and only happen rarely. The parents of that deranged kid should have been more responsible, its the parents who directly influence a childs behaviour.
Thu 29/07/04 at 14:14
"Majestic"
He probably downloaded the game too... Thus making the situation even more illegal!
Thu 29/07/04 at 14:12
"Majestic"
Puddleface wrote:
> We arnt allowed to eat white bread now because the daily mail...

Its actually Brown Bread that is the culpret - tricks people into thinking that its healthy, when really it contains more k-kals and grams of Fat than white bread does! Tasty though.
Thu 29/07/04 at 14:11
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I hope Sony sue The Scum (Sun) for defamation, i believe the game is also available on X-box and wasn't made by Sony, plus they've used the Playstation logo.
Now as for the subject, blame the kid, he is clearly deranged and he shouldn't have been playing it in the first place as he is UNDER-AGE(what a surprise) i wondered how long it would take before someone who owned or had played Manhunt killed someone, how many copies did it sell ?
Thu 29/07/04 at 14:09
Regular
Surely it should be the parents who are sued for letting their retarded little son get his hands on such a violent game in the first place?

In the words of Scream..

"Films/Video games don't make a killer, they just make them more inventive"

If anyone's to blame it's the f***ed up society that we live in and the parents, not a stupid computer game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.