GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer Games Kill....Again!!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/07/04 at 13:41
Regular
"Insert Gently"
Front of the Daily Mail I was reading an article about a lad obsessed with Manhunt, so much so he lured one of his best friends out and killed him with a hammer and knife. Then the idiot got caught by walking around wearing blood-stained clothes and a knapsack full of weapons.

The mother of the victim is now sueing Rockstar Games over Manhunt, which would render Manhunt to be banned in the UK. Manhunt is already banned in New Zealand and a few other countries. This is not the first time the Daily Mail has 'slated' Rockstar for its games, last year they called for Vice City to be banned due to its violent nature.

I think that it takes a certain person to go out after playing Manhunt or Vice City, and go killing them in the same nature. After playing Vice City solid i didn't want to kill people with a chainsaw or become a mob boss. The same goes for Manhunt and other violent games, after finishing Manhunt I didn't feel the need to slaughter one one my mates by stalking them and killing them with a Sainsbury's bag or a glass shard.

Although I thought was this lad had done was evil and horrible, I think it is yet another witch hunt against the games industry becuase the Daily Mail needs someone to point the finger at, because not everyone reacts in a way to this.
Thu 29/07/04 at 22:15
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I heard this on the radio today. It does seem as though a game is being used as a scapegoat again, but I can understand how angry the victims mother must be. If this psychotic boy hadn't played Manhunt then there is a possibility that the victim may still be alive today, of course the boy shouldn't have been playing Manhunt in the first place, but obviously age ratings make no difference whatsoever, kids still get hold of them.

Dixons, Curries and PC World have withdrawn games from their shelves, although all stores are owned by the same company, so that's just one store that has taken action. Probably because that's where the yound lad bought the game in the first place, illegaly.

Nonetheless there's no doubt that the game did influence the killing, you just have to look at the way the kid was killed to see the link. What's more important; playing a game, or insuring that the game doesn't influence any more killings? There's more important things in life than games, if it gets banned then it ain't the end of the world for us, but unfortunetly it's too late for the lad that got killed.
Thu 29/07/04 at 21:55
"Majestic"
I sense that Manhunt will go back up in the charts.
They could even put on the front cover "as seen on TV"
Thu 29/07/04 at 19:05
"period drama"
Like that bit in Vice City.
"In life, there is no reset button."
And all the stuff before + after I can't remember.

Wonderful.
Thu 29/07/04 at 19:01
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Forget not letting them play Manhunt, don't let them out in public if they're mentally deranged.

Of course the lawyer for the kid who got sent down will capitalise on this publicity about the game being the cause, probably go for diminished responsibility, or some mental reason.

"My client believe he was playing the game m'lord and was most shocked when the victim collapsed in a pile covered in blood, he tried to reset and go to an earlier save but the memory card was missing. My client is also a fan of EA's sports games and believes in the "In The Game" slogan, he believed he was in the game because Rockstar games are similar to EA's - they both afterall use a control pad - hence my client was not responsible."
Thu 29/07/04 at 18:54
"period drama"
As always, painful scapegoating.
Everyone should be held responsible for their own actions, unless they're mentally dereanged or something - in which case, they shouldn't be playing game like Manhunt.

Simple.
Thu 29/07/04 at 18:38
Regular
"^_^"
Well, this was on my local TV News. And it was amusing to me. As they had an expert on, and he said something along the liens of ...

"Well lets think about what would be happening if these kids weren't playing these violent video games. Many kids, when asked, said that they would annoy the cat or go out on the streets with their friends. Now we know and can strongly associate this social gathering behind bus stops with young childrens to crime and young offenders. So maybe parents should look upon these games as a way of keeping their youngsters out of trouble..."
Thu 29/07/04 at 17:29
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Hedfix wrote:
> Sorry Bell but if paedophilia exists then so do snuff movies.

I'm simply saying that no law enforcement agency has ever found proof of true snuff movies ever existing. FBI even ran a special investigation back in the early 90's and found nothing after going at it, with co-operation of other law agencies, after three years of work.
Thu 29/07/04 at 17:26
"Long time no see"
Anonymous wrote:

> Marilyn Manson was blamed for the shootings, was the Matrix even out
> then?

I was right, it came out in the US the same week as the shootings, and there were many links made, even by survivors of the shootings, they did dress like the film folk in the morpheous rescue scene.

(Thats why the style of clothing was altred in the sequels. Alledgedly)
Thu 29/07/04 at 17:08
Regular
"8==="
Sorry Bell but if paedophilia exists then so do snuff movies.
Thu 29/07/04 at 17:05
Regular
"\\"
I can't believe i forgot about this.

[URL]http://www.pwned.nl[/URL]

Watch it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.