GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are Games Becoming Too Violent?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/02/05 at 20:54
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
We have a lot of wonderful games on the Xbox (or the lesser of our species have them on PS2 or GameCube) happy games - something to cheer you up, excite you or calm you- but don't you think that things are getting out of hand with the more adult, violent games?

OK, it's adult, 18+, but the advertisers show in game images, magazines and websites show in game images of decapated humans, people mutilating each other and in the case of The Punisher, heads being drilled or sawn (or fed to piranahs etc.). I find it distressing to see but I've grown hardened to it, but what about kids or unstable people - do we want them to see it?

OK, we have the likes of Halo and GTA, but the worse you get to see is a bit of blood and a scream. Not humiliating disembodying. I mean you must be seriously disturbed to want to invent these kinds of game - let alone want to play them. What happened to the time where you could turn on your computer and relax by kicking a ball around, racing in cars, playing as a comical dragon or bandicoot? Just tell me your opinions. I'm not anti-violence, just I think game designers/developers have taken the violence too far.
Sun 27/02/05 at 13:44
Regular
I dont have a problem with personally I hear what you say... wake up to reallity, but thats where I a have a problem with it in a sense as its far from reallity really, I mean only yesterday my youngest was saying as we drove along the road to slam the car in reverse to get away from the traffic cop chasing us I mean in reallity that just does not work! good idea though lol its knowing when reallity kicks in that some have a problem with not all just some, I think the age restrictions are just a guide? parents would know how best their kids could cope with these games
Sun 27/02/05 at 02:55
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yer, blood and violence makes it more believable.

Its part of life, and if you cannot see that you need to stop resting your head on that fluffy pillow and wake up to reality.

So there.

:oP
Sat 26/02/05 at 22:13
Regular
"Thriller Killer"
That's just it mate. It's a game. Yeah things are getting more violent but I think society today is getting more violent anyway. I mean if we didn't want to play these types of games there wouldn't be so many different ones. I think the key to a good scary video game is all about getting you involved and hooking you. A bit of gore does that. It's sad but true.
Sat 26/02/05 at 08:36
Regular
Yes they play a game smash a car up and walk away from it? nothing like real life, the drive down roads mowing down folk and walk away from it at tea time? all better now? Nope some games are sick, that said its pear pressuure that make kids want them and parents get pressured in to letting kids have the games "all my friends have it" its parents who are as much to blame, I hold my head in shame I am guilty my youngest has an 18 game yet he is not 18 what a bad example I am, that said I have no idea why its an 18.

Rhysio wrote:
> I think that children have to see these bloody things as it gets them
> used to all the violence that goes on. if they dont then they will be
> even more socked when they see it in real life.
>
> Peace.
Fri 25/02/05 at 19:19
Regular
"8==="
SC3's going to get gorified apparently, along with Oblivion.

Quality. :)
Fri 25/02/05 at 00:13
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Are they becoming too violent?

No.

And if you think they are, stop playing them.

Nuff said.
Thu 24/02/05 at 23:49
Regular
Games aren't violent enough. I want hell on earth. I want babies to leave their mothers womb already knowing how to do someone in with a plastic bag.

Games aren't crammed down peoples throats like films and tv are, those that don't like them should perhaps consider steering clear.
Mon 21/02/05 at 20:49
Regular
Most games allow gamers to turn off the gore content, and they don't tell people about this when they report violence in the news - so with options like turning off blood - no.
Mon 21/02/05 at 20:46
Regular
"Ruddie1"
Hedfix wrote:
> I have it on good authority that Mario was responsible for the
> crusades.
LOL thats funny
Mon 21/02/05 at 20:41
Regular
"member of dogg poun"
hippyman wrote:
> We have a lot of wonderful games on the Xbox (or the lesser of our
> species have them on PS2 or GameCube) happy games - something to
> cheer you up, excite you or calm you- but don't you think that things
> are getting out of hand with the more adult, violent games?
>
> OK, it's adult, 18+, but the advertisers show in game images,
> magazines and websites show in game images of decapated humans,
> people mutilating each other and in the case of The Punisher, heads
> being drilled or sawn (or fed to piranahs etc.). I find it
> distressing to see but I've grown hardened to it, but what about kids
> or unstable people - do we want them to see it?
>
> OK, we have the likes of Halo and GTA, but the worse you get to see
> is a bit of blood and a scream. Not humiliating disembodying. I
> mean you must be seriously disturbed to want to invent these kinds of
> game - let alone want to play them. What happened to the time where
> you could turn on your computer and relax by kicking a ball around,
> racing in cars, playing as a comical dragon or bandicoot? Just tell
> me your opinions. I'm not anti-violence, just I think game
> designers/developers have taken the violence too far.

Violence CAN be taken too far but i don't feel many of the games are too violent, i feel the language is worse. You can't play a 15 rated game or and 18 in front of your mum because of the language! never mind the violence!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.