GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Short Poem Competition"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/07/04 at 20:04
"Majestic"
I really don’t know why we don’t have one of these in the Life forum, so this is why I’ve decided to create one. For a while now, I’ve being following the SSC and I was hoping to have a go myself – but when I tried to put my thoughts on paper I wasn’t going to happen. Then I decided to make a poem – something I really enjoy, and something that I excelled at in my scholar youth. So hopefully, those creative people who write SSC may want to have a pop at the new and exciting SPC too.

We can use similar rules to the SSC; the winner gets to pick a subject, a closing date and gets to judge the entries – as well as adding their own personals rule, if applicable.
I think 300 words would be enough to compose a decent poem – my Tramp poem may look long, but in actual fact its only about 230 words. But we will have to see about the word limit, expectations may be made. And remember, its not quantity – its quality !

I will try and organize some sort of SPC website – or I’ll talk to Ashman about the situation, seem as he has made a good job of the SSC site – but we will have to see if this takes off first.

So then, onto the Poem!
This Poems topic should be based around a Horse it doesn’t sound like anything exciting, but rest assured if you think about it you could come up with some interesting things – make your own title and post it in this thread. The closing date will be two weeks from Today – The 7th of august giving most people a good chance to get their entries in.

I really do hope that this can catch on, but if it doesn’t then no hard feelings – its just something that I’ve had on my mind for some time. Please give the Short Poem Competition a chance!

===================================================

We have a winner!

I read through them all last night, I couldn’t really decide – because most of them were quite good. Although I think that Paradoxes poem took the biscuit. It wasn’t really about a horse – but he mentioned the word hoarse, I didn’t say it had to be about a horse.

I really liked his rhyming style – although it was short it was defiantly sweet. Like a small chocolate killer cake from Thornton’s. I’d rather have a small cake from there, than a big cake from somewhere like Tesco. Enough of my cake fantasies though.

So I here by crown Paradox the winner, for bringing a smile to my face with his unique poem. If you would, please start a new topic ; Short Poem Competition 2 and explain your set of rules – a closing date – and the topic… And please, try to choose a better topic than I did!

Ok, well I have to go – thanks to everybody who entered. And sorry I’m sorry that judged late ; I hope you can find it in your hoarse heart to forgive me.
Wed 11/08/04 at 21:36
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
ok, i have started a new poem contest for those interested, just as DiscoDexy asked for...
Wed 11/08/04 at 20:05
Regular
"(Armed communist)"
I know exactly where you are coming from Paradox. I'm currently under premoderation at the BBC i.e. all my messages, peoms and stories are checked by the busybodies. This ofter involves **** and it annoys the **** out of me. But it is a necessary evil (like the Daily Mail).
Wed 11/08/04 at 19:44
Regular
"SOUP!"
KieranJay wrote:

> I must add that wufter is non PC and would be deemed as unaceptable
> on the BBC website.

Thats why we don't post on the BBC forums. We dont like out lexis being policed by busybodies.
Wed 11/08/04 at 17:54
Regular
"(Armed communist)"
hmmmm the plot thickens.

I agree that a game is a ruddy good prize. I'd sooner have a game than be read on Radio 4 or Radio Kent or whatever. The BBC prizes are more in line with the needs of an aspiring writer e.g. two day residential creative writing courses. I don't play many games these days but I must admit that I did finish both PS2 GTA games with 100% totality (my secret is out- the poets at the BBC will now shun me).

Anyway, I'm still a little confused. Everyone loves this site- great. I can't say that I'm a new media expert so I'll have to ask you to expand on that and tell me why it's the best. I agree that smilie are annoying but many arty types live but them and I can understand it in some circumstances e.g. to convey sarcasm.

And who is a wufter and why?

I must add that wufter is non PC and would be deemed as unaceptable on the BBC website.

And I do like smaller communities; that's why I'd never live in London.

Best Regards

KJ
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:53
Regular
"girlyfeet"
I think you might be a bit of a wufter, what say you?
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:49
"Majestic"
Yeah, pretty much what Ashman said really - the beauty of these forums are that everybody knows each other in a scary internet kind of way - it may be small, but you can relate with most people on here.
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:47
"Majestic"
KieranJay wrote:
>Then again not everyone is bothered about recognition or
>professional reviews or prizes.

Ah, thats where your wrong. Good efforts often get rewarded with prizes - any game of thier choice - and thats a ruddy good prize if you ask me.
Wed 11/08/04 at 15:46
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
KieranJay wrote:
> This site is a great place to muse and
> chat but it's not great if you want contructive critism on your poems
> or short stories. Then again not everyone is bothered about
> recognition or professional reviews or prizes. As long as everyone is
> having a jolly good time then great.

I beg to differ, not only do most stories get numerous feedback posts which highlight the strong/weak points of the story, but people with talent ARE recognised.

Whether it by winning the SSC/SPC competition, winning a Gameaday for their efforts at a story/chat forum post/review/walkthrough or generally just being told that what they've contributed is high in standard by other members, its always nice. To be honest, this is the best forum I've ever posted at, I don't post anywhere else, and as for smilies - well, they just plain annoy a lot of people.
Wed 11/08/04 at 14:07
Regular
"(Armed communist)"
I will be giving my opinion to the powers that be privatly. That makes me sound far more important than I actually am; I'm just an ordinary service user just like everyone else.

So, in answer to ST's question: this is unofficial research (on behalf of relative). On first imprssions I'd say there is much room for improvement on both chat forum sites. The BBC chat forums are much larger and hence it can be tricky to navigate and find like minded people. The ukchatforums are varied and interesting but it can be difficult to find information on other users (e.g. conversational history) and there are less quirks (Like smilies). Also, I think you're better going elsewhere if you particularly enjoy poetry and if you take writing seriously. This site is a great place to muse and chat but it's not great if you want contructive critism on your poems or short stories. Then again not everyone is bothered about recognition or professional reviews or prizes. As long as everyone is having a jolly good time then great.

KJ
Wed 11/08/04 at 11:20
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
KieranJay wrote:
> Currently I'm heavily involved with the bbc.co.uk domain but I have
> an important contact at Inter Mediates Ltd who recently appraoched me
> and asked to coment on the functionality of the site. When I looked
> up ukchatforums I was expecting computer game type nerdy
> conversation. The last thing I thought I'd find was poetry
> competitions and right wing press related satire. This is what I'm
> familiar with on BBCi (www.bbc.co.uk/dna/getwriting).

So will you be writing a review of the site that will be published later on the BBC? Or is this some research into how the BBC websites can be improved / developed?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.