GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer Help Needed!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/07/04 at 00:54
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
Hey, anybody know much aout fixing computers? My Drivers for my two CD-ROM drives broke or something, but they aren't working. My friend who works on computers said to delete the driver, shut down the computer, then un-plug the drives. Start it back up, then shut it down and plug them back in then start it up, and he said it would find them and re-install it. I tried this, but after I remove the drivers the computer freezes and when I start it up, the drivers are still there. Anybody know how to fix this? Or do I need a new computer?
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:28
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
Ok, i found it, its the one with the red, black and yellow wires, the other plugs into the motherboard.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:29
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
ÈL ® ö B ì Ñ wrote:
> Anyways i'm off to watch my family (the program :P )
>
> Hop you get it sorted m8.
>
> Ciao.

Thanks for the help.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:30
"I love yo... lamp."
ÈL ® ö B ì Ñ wrote:
> Why didn't he just say IDE cable rather then HDD controller thing
> which makes no sense.
>
> It's like saying that fan thingym that could be the system fan, fan
> and heat sink, power pack.
>
> Prrft.

An IDE controller is part of the chipset on the motherboard and deals with handling the data for all IDE devices. It is not to do with anything other than IDE devices. If the driver for it screws up then you have problems. If his hard drive is working then I think he might be able to get away without reinstalling the driver if he can find it.

It isn't a cable.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:31
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
I unpluged the pwer and am booting it up, i'll look for the exact name of the driver.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:32
"I love yo... lamp."
Anialater wrote:
> Ok, i found it, its the one with the red, black and yellow wires, the
> other plugs into the motherboard.

Unplug both. Sometimes there is a third wire, that either plugs into the motherboard or the sound card. It's for audio. Don't worry about it just now.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:35
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
Ok, they are the Primary and Secondary IDE controllers. Both of them say This device is either not present or not working properly.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:39
"I love yo... lamp."
I take it this is viewing through the device manager? If you look at the properties for the IDE controllers then there will probably be a button to update driver on the Driver tab.

In other words, control panel > system > hardware > device manager > driver > update driver and then follow the wizard.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:41
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
Yes, it said the best driver is the one I am currently using.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:42
Regular
What the hell did you do with them?
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:43
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
I wish I knew what happened.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.