GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer Help Needed!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/07/04 at 00:54
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
Hey, anybody know much aout fixing computers? My Drivers for my two CD-ROM drives broke or something, but they aren't working. My friend who works on computers said to delete the driver, shut down the computer, then un-plug the drives. Start it back up, then shut it down and plug them back in then start it up, and he said it would find them and re-install it. I tried this, but after I remove the drivers the computer freezes and when I start it up, the drivers are still there. Anybody know how to fix this? Or do I need a new computer?
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:06
Anialater wrote:
> It is the Hard Disk controller. But it controlles my CD-ROMs too

WTF.

You um, wha?
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:08
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
Okay, its the Hard Disk controller, it makes my CD-ROMs work, but it isn't working right, so I try un-installing them, but the computer freezes and it doesn't un-install them.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:23
I got lost at HDD controller.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:23
"I love yo... lamp."
So someone who apparently made £400 over the holidays repairing computers doesn't even realise that we're talking about an IDE controller here? Ri-ight.

Anialater, open up the computer (with it switched off of course), pull out the power cable to the drive and the IDE cable, that being the big ribbon cable. Turn on the computer. Let it boot up and do whatever it needs to. Then turn off and reattach the cables.

That should trigger it recognising the drives.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:24
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
You'd have to look at in person.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:26
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
I will try that, the power cable is the wide skiny gray wire, isn't it?
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:26
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> So someone who apparently made £400 over the holidays repairing
> computers doesn't even realise that we're talking about an IDE
> controller here? Ri-ight.

Why didn't he just say IDE cable rather then HDD controller thing which makes no sense.

It's like saying that fan thingym that could be the system fan, fan and heat sink, power pack.

Prrft.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:27
Anialater wrote:
> I will try that, the power cable is the wide skiny gray wire, isn't
> it?

IDE cables are the bigger ones, either round or about 4cm across, power cables are black, red,yello etc.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:27
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
I couldn't find that word, you know, I had a brain fart you could say.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:28
Anyways i'm off to watch my family (the program :P )

Hop you get it sorted m8.

Ciao.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.