GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PUPPEH"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/07/04 at 16:23
Regular
I really want a puppeh, heh. And up until now my mother was all like "nooo our house is too small, we can't afford it" etc.

But now our next door neighbours have 2 she is more open in the fact that our house is a good size. So the point of this is I need some help with things to say to convince her to let me get one.

I said I’d pay to get pet insurance with my allowance from the sixth form weekly pay. So that turned her vote from "NO FRIGGIN WAY" to "HMM MAYBE"

also I want a brown lab, heh they rock or a Springer spaniel, my mate has 2 they are so funny. What dogs are decent but yet not pricey. Although the pet rescue is a good spot to look *strokes chin* hmmm.

Anyway I need some advice in convincing her (plus my farther who will no doubt be like "NEVAH!! MOOHAHAHAHA")

Spank you.
Thu 15/07/04 at 21:45
"Majestic"
I ment to include that, between 30 and 50 for both depending on the vet. You pay upfront so when you go back you don't have to pay anything!

If you don't get a puppy now i've wasted an hour of my time! So get one got!

[URL]http://www.adtrader.co.uk/[/URL]
Put your postcode in, and search for any type of puppy. You'll find one - closer than you think.
Thu 15/07/04 at 21:40
Regular
Whoa. Thanks man, really appreciate it.

How much are jabs?
Thu 15/07/04 at 21:31
"Majestic"
Creepy, look at my last post if you haven’t done already - then take a look at these things I’ve just typed up:

Breeds
If your getting a collie, get a male - as I said below. The other breeds should be female however; be warned. Females will 'bleed' on your mothers new carpet - and may run away to fulfill their 'needs' Obviously you can get it 'snipped' but this costs a lot more than a 'snip' would in a male, as females have more complex 'organs' . But generally females have better attitude - but as I keep on saying in collies it doesn’t matter what sex you buy.

Money
Chocolate Labs also cost a lot of money, so if you’re on a budget I wouldn’t bother. Collies are probably the cheapest of the 3 breeds you have mentioned – and indeed the most obedient.

Cage
Buy a Cage, so your puppy can go in there when it’s tired, or needs to retreat - also use the cage for night-times. Do not use the cage as punishment though, or they won't enjoy going in there. If the cage is used correctly the dog will see the cage as its home, so it WILL NOT toilet there.

Training
Training is 10 times easier with a Collie - so keep this in mind. You must train it not to pee in the house, lay down newspapers near the front door. When it does wee on the carpet pick it up, put it on the papers and say Be Clean eventually the dog will go to the door on the papers. When you catch it near the door, slap its lead on and take it outside to pee - using the words Be Clean every time.

Collar and Lead
Buy a collar and put it on your dog as soon as you buy it. It’s important it gets used to a collar straight away, a dog is no use if it doesn’t like a collar - it can make walking the dog a nightmare. Buy a Long, free roaming lead to your puppy can explore in the garden – they cost 6 – 12 pounds depending. Don’t take it out of your garden until its Jabbed.

Vets & Jabs
It’s important that you book in at your vet for a check up and for some Jabs. Your vet will check out your dog, and shower you in freebies. You might get a book, with 101 tips in, wormers (worms are common in Pups) and a flea treatment that lasts for a couple of months. You may even get free food! Your Puppy will get its first Jab on that day, and two weeks later you'll have to go back for another. Once it’s had two Jabs you can take him anywhere - just don’t let it sniff poop for at least a week after the second Jab.

Chewy Chew
Your Dog needs something to Chew - you can buy a lot of chews, that are normally made out of rawhide - these last ages, and will discourage your pup from chewing the curtains!

Toy with them
Fetch is always a good game to play, and a great trick to learn. Try not to play tug of war with a puppy though, because in later life the dog may think he can have anything if he simply tugs it. Smash, crash, rip, etc.

Food
Try to avoid 'pedigree' foods, and go for stuff with low protein - 18-22% maximum for protein. Anything above this and you are asking for trouble. If you want to do yourself a favor, feed your puppy on dry food from day one - then it will come out like chunks of wood, instead of brown chocolate ice-cream. Also, use dry food as treats when it does something you like - try to avoid buying rich treats.

Praise
Every time you issue a treat its important you say Good dog later on you wont have to give it treats, all you'll have to do is say Good dog, and it will know its done well.

Bad Dog
A Firm no should suffice, and you shouldn’t really slap them on the end of the nose. A better method would be a small squirt from a 99p water pistol - but hopefully your dog will understand no without any fuss. Make no a load sound. I don't know if this is true, but if your dog stares at you then you should stare right back at it. When he looks away you've won, thus you’re the boss. It works for me, but other people might tell you otherwise. Do not rub its nose in its 'Indoor mess' - or don't say NO either. Just ignore it, and praise it when it does it in the right place.

Good Night
For the 1st few nights expect noise - try to put the dog in its cage when its tired - ideally when it falls asleep next to you. Pick it up, and put it in its cage. In the morning greet him with plenty of strokes, and maybe a treat. This will reassure the dog that you’re coming back - and that he’s not the new star of a pet rescue advert.

[I] Maybe I should be a vet! Following these tips should really help you along the way, I’ll post more if I can think of them, but remember your going to have to give 150% for the first couple of months - you cant really leave them unattended at that age. It’s a lot of responsibility - and it’s for life, not just for summer.

a Discodexy Tips Creation™
Thu 15/07/04 at 20:45
Regular
Thanks for the help guys.

I've decided (If I’m aloud) to ether get a brown lab or collie or Springer spaniel. (mainly the brown lab)

Any help of convincing and help of what needs to be thought about/purchased would be much appreciated.
Thu 15/07/04 at 16:48
"Majestic"
I Cannot Stand Labs - as they are too common and they’re associated with toilet paper. And Spaniels seem too ugly, with fleshy flaps and drooling gobtissue. However Cocker Spaniels do make great family pets, but they cost an arm and a leg ranging from 300-600 pounds depending.

I recently got a Border Collie – a unusual brown and white one. I saw its father, but unfortunately the mother got squashed – or so they told us. The father looked like a lion, really big, and really really hairy, it looked like it had a lions mane. Two weeks down the line my Collie has grown dramatically – and he has learnt lots. Apparently Collies possess great intelligence, which clearly shows in my pup. Sit down, stay there, lie down and come here is pretty impressive for two weeks. It’s extremely obedient and will follow you to the earths end – it also sits down prior to feeding it, and when you are crossing a road, which is great. You really can’t go wrong with these dogs – and they rarely get anything wrong with them – no genetic defects whatsoever. Its probably worth mentioning that you’ll have to drown this pup in attention – collies will need 2 or more hours exercise a day, and on most occasions you’ll be tired before he his. If your going to get a collie I’d be inclined to chose a dog (male) as females tend to be more dominant – where as males make loyal companions.

On the other hand, if you’re looking for a smaller dog with character go down the Russell path. Jack Russell’s have extreme character and they wouldn’t look out of place wearing sun glasses. If you do decide to get a Russell make sure it’s a female) – males can be very unruly.

Option 3 is to get a good cross breed – good cross breeds normally take both strengths from both dogs and ditch all the weaknesses. Not only that – you’ll have a unique dog too. Pet insurance is a lot cheaper with cross breads.

:D iscodexy
Thu 15/07/04 at 12:46
Regular
"i am the b#tch"
i don't mean kiss like that i mean like lick wierdo
Thu 15/07/04 at 12:44
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Creepy wrote:
:^)

o_O
Wed 14/07/04 at 23:29
Regular
hahaha, niiiice.
Wed 14/07/04 at 23:26
Regular
Creepy wrote:
> Oh a problem. I do have a cat…

A mate of mine has both a dog and a cat and they get along great. They follow each other everywhere and both stick up for each other. One time the cat decided to start a fight with another cat in his back garden and the dog chased straight after the other cat until it escaped over the fence. Meanwhile me and my mate were laughin and cheering the dog on :P
Wed 14/07/04 at 22:40
Regular
:^)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.