GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In the next notable election...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/07/04 at 22:19
Regular
"Selected"
We should be able to vote a Notable OUT. Out on his ass I say. Let's face it, half of them hardly appear on the board as much as they did when they were first voted in. They were given their status because they make the forum a "fun place to come and visit" as the Notable definition says, but the majority of them hardly visit themselves, let alone make it fun for others. As such, we should be able to vote them off and give them a good old fashioned booing, like some sort of forum pantomime.

What say you regular folk?
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:08
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
If you vote someone a Notable, they get the title for good, whether the quality of their posts go up or down. It's not Big Brother and it's not a symbol of how many posts you've submitted recently. For example, Meka isn't half as prevalent as he was a year or so ago, but still posts quality stuff.

Besides, I can see whoever losing their title going like this...

*shrug*

And everyone who voted them off going like this...

*shrug*
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:25
Regular
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> *shrug*

To be honest with you, i didnt even know there was a notable election until i saw timmargh's name in a different colour yesterday.
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:33
Regular
"Twenty quid."
My name's a different colour?!?

*looks*

Oh yeah!
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:43
Regular
How about we get retired notable status?

We can get a free GAD pass, a special forum so we can have commitee meetings... then we can moan to ourselves, say how good the forums used to be. Can we have a lock on the forum? I don't like half these regulars, they hang around my topics after nine at night, I bet you they're selling drugs or something.
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:45
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
*Opens jacket*

"See anything you like?"

Am I dealing, selling stolen goods or a pervert? You decide.
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:54
Regular
perhaps you should make it once every 6 months. Whoever came up with this election thing really had no idea.

If they were going to start rewarding people with a different status for their contribution to the forum, then it really shouldnt be a popularity contest that's voted publicly and easily rigged. If you were truly sad and desperate just for a notable status it wouldnt be too hard to ask people to join the forum, contribute a little and then just ask them to vote for you. Or better yet, just do small favours for regulars in exchange for a vote. Timmargh won with 18 votes even though he only needed 11 of those to win.

What they should have done is realise that this wouldnt have worked and would probably cause a lot of problems and instead give out notable status themselves.

Now what kind of people would SR want to give such an honour to? Well people who are nice, perhaps helpful and contribute well to the forums. So can't you find those sort of people with a popularity contest? No, because even jerks have friends and seeing as it's a public election it's easily rigged.

So instead while, staffies monitor all the posts in the forums, they start to notice the posters. Whatshisname he seems to be very helpful, offering advice with problems and question, it looks like he'd make a good notable, lets make him one. Oh and whatshername, she's friendly, chatty and contribute really well to the forum, she'd be a good notable.

So if you want to be a notable, kissing up to people and asking regulars who have already left SR to come and vote for you - wont work. Instead you'll have to be a model poster - which I assume is being nice, friendly, helpful and contributing a fair bit towards the forum. So Staff favourite Forest Fan would be an ideal candidate seeing as he can be helpful and he does post a lot of cheats, hints and reviews.

That way no more public voting, no more jealousy, no more "hey why didnt you vote for me?" no more "Umm who the hell is Timmargh?" no more "why's he a notable I havent seen him post at all" and no more lots of other stuff that is usually bad.

Not all the people who deserve a notable status will get one because maybe they dont want to go out of their way to be friends with everyone or crack jokes and act silly half the time for a cheap laugh or to be noticed. Yet they still deserve one, especially if their advice saved me £100 or helped fix my brothers computer. Or their story made me laugh or I go out of my way to read their insightful posts.

Who was it that introduced this notable thing anyway? If it was you Snuggly, perhaps when you arent a Temporary Staff member anymore, along with the new staff and the changes that came perhap they should adopt this new notable award system and do it the right way :) So your "notable for life" thing goes out the window and instead those good notables such as Meka Dragon can deserve his notable status, not because he's been around a couple of years, but because his contribution, though small still means something to the forum.

Its kinda like the Victoria Cross, those who deserve it usually dont think they to. Though I think atleast this way of awarding it, you're likely to get a lot more good out of it with people trying their best to be good little boys and girls :) And you wont end up with 50 notables in couple of years at the rate this is going.
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:56
Regular
"Insert Gently"
POKE FOR NOTABLE !!!
Sun 11/07/04 at 00:02
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Notables are like our teachers, we dont like them much, but they teach us the right things.

:P joking, i like you all.
Sun 11/07/04 at 00:07
Regular
as someone who's lectured on ecommerce I can see no benefit of notable elections to SR, infact it does the opposite. However my suggestion in can be a benefit.

It's like the whole user mod thing. Having used forums and chatrooms for 9 years I know for a fact that they cause sooo many problems it's incredible. The best solution is to have anonymous mods, you have no idea who they are, they have no opinion, they say nothing, all they do is just mod whatever needs modding and bingo everyones happy, no more condescending attitudes, no more "Ummm yeah I'm getting the last word in here so I win, you lose. THREAD CLOSED!!!", and the whole "why is that guy a mod!?! I dont like him" oh and the sucking up.

So yeah it's a good thing this place doesnt have user mods, though outside office hours it can get out of hand and then we all suffer.
Sun 11/07/04 at 00:10
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Besides, I can see whoever losing their title going like this...
>
> *shrug*
>
> And everyone who voted them off going like this...
>
> *shrug*

Not truer words have you spoken. Apart from, "My game idea will kick ass!!111".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.