GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mercenaries"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mercenaries'.
Thu 17/02/05 at 22:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Anybody getting it?
Anybody played the demo?
Gets excellent reviews across the board but I haven't seen that much blurb about it or hype.
Page:
Thu 10/03/05 at 22:22
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I love the helicopters, feels exactly like an updated version of
> Desert Strike.

> Didn't suprise me when I read on IGN that apparently Mercenaries
> started out as a Strike game. But a fall out out with EA and a few
> game play changes later we have Mercenaries.

It does feel like a Strike game when you're in the helicopter, that was my first thought as well. I was going to buy Ace Combat for the PS2, but I didn't bother as this was fun enough.

:)
Thu 10/03/05 at 17:09
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I'm into the North area now, it feels a lot bigger. I've only done two missions but already I have almost got the complete bottom row of the hearts, they seem very easy to find. But it's still great. I took all my new airstrikes to the NK Chemical Factory and levelled most of it. :-)
Thu 10/03/05 at 11:33
Regular
"8==="
Just found out the dollar signs mean extra timed missions. Thought they meant you had to buy the vehicles from the mafia to use them. That'll teach me to read the manual. :)

Found 7/14 clubs easily to be able to get at the ace. Trouble is all the other faction's missions have gone and I want to track down all the other 7 clubs. Took me ages to find the 8th then I found the 9th shortly after. I was starting to think I HAD to do the ace because it was available and that the game had stopped me from going after the other 7. That's not the case they're just nicely hidden away.

6 and a bit hours in now. Quality stuff.
Thu 10/03/05 at 08:58
Regular
"8==="
True, when playing in a copter I did think ' this would make a quality game if it was just this'. It's that good.
Thu 10/03/05 at 08:49
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
Don't forget Desert strike! Once you get a decent chopper, you'll see what i mean.
Thu 10/03/05 at 07:04
Regular
"8==="
Started playing it today and after 3/4 hours I decided to take a break.

FANTASTIC GAME.

All the best bits from Hitman 2, Freedom Fighters and GTA + many other games are all in there in a superb sandbox that's absolutely packed with things to do, find, collect and destroy.

Cycloon stop mopeing about whether to get it or not and just buy it, if you don't like this you're braindead. :P
Tue 08/03/05 at 07:55
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I'm on the Ace of Diamonds contract now after successfully capturing all of the other diamonds. Last night I had almost completed it by surrounding the Ace, so I got out of my tank and had to cross a road to get the Ace, only to be run over by a FROG missile truck. Ah well the mission is fun. :D
Tue 08/03/05 at 00:18
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
And there you have it folks, a real Cinderella story - was supposed to be some skank EA smelly rush job, but escaped their clutches and became a classic. ;-)

Got it today on the way to work and its the nuts. Decided that I'm gonna side with the Chinese. Already had some cool moments and even spotted the four of clubs while on my way to assassinate some Russian targets. So I made a little detour and hurled him into a chopper before moving on. ;-)

The Chinese love me, the Koreans hate my guts. Sod the Koreans - Chinese love brings me plenty of nice nasty vehicles. Had much fun in the APC.
Mon 07/03/05 at 22:43
Regular
I love the helicopters, feels exactly like an updated version of Desert Strike. Specially when you get some of the really beefy choppers (*barfs*) from the Northern territory.

Didn't suprise me when I read on IGN that apparently Mercenaries started out as a Strike game. But a fall out out with EA and a few game play changes later we have Mercenaries.
Mon 07/03/05 at 19:49
Regular
It really is a classic. I wasn't impressed at first, but the level of destruction and realism is excellent. I love the way you can either sneak through a base picking off unwary soldiers, or call in an artillery bombardment and level the entire place. And when you level a base, you level a base.

The helicopters aren't nearly as fun as the tanks, especially when you're surrounded by hundreds of idiots armed only with machine guns, just asking for a shell in the face.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.