GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptop arrived today...but I'm fuming!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/06/04 at 16:29
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
My Toshiba Satellite A10 Pro arrived early this morning. Cracking little thing...apart from one little annoyance...

[URL]http://www.newslinks.co.uk/randomimages/fault1.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://www.newslinks.co.uk/randomimages/fault2.jpg[/URL]

And no, my background image doesn't have a line at the top on it...it's the stupid screen. >:(
Tue 29/06/04 at 23:26
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I installed TweakXP for my explorer, so it looks all purdy and
> non-fisher price.
>
> I'll screenshot it if anyone wants to see.

I run TweakXP Pro 3, Style XP 2.02 and the rest of my tweaks are done directly through "gpedit.msc"(XP Pro Only) Run a visual style called WinProNX (by Nexis), one of the smallest and prettiest VS's there is. Only 120k as opposed to Luna which is about 1.2MB! Use Foood's iCandy Jnr for all my icons.

Shame about the dead pixles. I ordered my PC online, but collected it as I don't trust carriers with anything larger than a CD! Had 1 dead pixle and and they were out within 24hours with a new TFT!
Tue 29/06/04 at 21:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I installed TweakXP for my explorer, so it looks all purdy and non-fisher price.

I'll screenshot it if anyone wants to see.
Tue 29/06/04 at 21:09
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
How much was your newer laptop UA?
Tue 29/06/04 at 18:09
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Well, after initially thinking I would simply get a different one off the internet, I decided I'd learn from my lesson now instead of later, and bought one from town - from a well-known PC retailer.

What amazed me was the fact that it wasn't much more money at all - an extra £80 has got me a 2.7ghz celeron (as opposed to 2.5ghz), a DVD/CD-RW drive (was a DVD drive) as well as a few other suble differences.

Oh, and most importantly, no lines or dead pixels!

Also, nicely surprised at how efficiently the online retailer I bought the first laptop off is dealing with it - have already arranged a day and time for the laptop to be collected from my home, and a refund will be given!

It's all been a lot of hassle, but at the end of the day, Toshiba is to blame for the screen issue, so I'll still be using said online retailer as much as ever in the future! :) (He says before refund has been given).

EDIT: Now just trying to get ICS going. :(
Tue 29/06/04 at 08:45
Regular
I gutted my XP Pro, turned everything off, used the Black Viper guide to Msconfig to turn all un-wanted background programs off as well as a few other tweaks ;)

Tis a bummer with the Laptop though, my TFT had the same thing at weekend, thankfully I took it back and they swapped it straight away. It's one of the reasons I don't get stuff like Monitors online, if there is a problem they are a ba*tard to send back.
Mon 28/06/04 at 22:04
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Thanks for the comments chaps.

Can't stand the XP scheme (or whatever you call it) - much prefer the classic style - easier on the eye and simpler to use. And also, not so gutsy on the system requirements I'm sure - I'd rather save my memory for my apps, rather than a Fisher Price-style GUI.

Aww, don't say Ebuyer are crap for returns...that's all I need! I'll be sending it back tomorrow, and have asked for a refund, as I've found another Toshiba laptop on a different website (P4 2.8ghz, 512mb, etc) for only £80 extra, so I'll go for that me thinks. :)
Mon 28/06/04 at 20:46
Regular
Yeh ebuyer are pretty cruddy when it comes to returning stuff but that the price you pay for buying online.

Colin
Mon 28/06/04 at 20:44
Regular
"Freeola Support"
If you have a powerful machine why not get rid of the explorer shell and get a prettier looking shell.
Mon 28/06/04 at 19:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you have the power, what's wrong with prettiness? As a heavy computer user, I welcome pleasing aesthetics as an enhancement to my work.
Mon 28/06/04 at 19:05
Regular
"you've got a beard"
i'd just like to commend you for running windows XP and resisting the temptation to use the "pretty but pointless" start menu, etc...

well done you! :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.