GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP or DS?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/02/05 at 13:17
Regular
"Steady, Go!"
I know there have probably been similar posts to this, but which one? At the moment i'm leaning towards the PSP, should I be?
Mon 21/02/05 at 06:52
Regular
The Winster wrote:
> Then; there is the problem of Audio CDs & UMDs. It would have
> been better if some offcial PSP accessory let you rip an audio-cd
> onto the PSP memory stick (or something similar) in a propreitary
> format. Same should have been with DVDs...

It's possible to do both already.

> Atleast, you could have the control over selecting your
> tracks/scenes...

? You have control over tracks/scenes with any media player.

> So, if you tell me to choose between a DS/PSP as a gaming hand-held;
> I'll choose the DS. Reasons: -
>
> 1.) Backward compatibility with GBA
Fair enough.

> 2.) Earlier release
Well, a week after you guys have opened your shiny new DS's, I'll be opening my shiny new PSP.

> 3.) More support...
I'd safely bet on Sony doing something about that...
Mon 21/02/05 at 00:44
Regular
"Always the winner?"
Drexyl wrote:
> I think the prices accurately reflect the uses of the machine.
> £100 for a DS and you're getting a sole gaming machine.
> £200 for a PSP and you're getting a machine that can play
> games, play movies, play music etc. Both of them are worth what is
> being charged. Personally I would go for a DS because the games look
> better and I think the price is more reasonable.

that is true. But I just don't like the iea of buying a UMD & DVD of the same movie; although I'll never do that. I know you can qatch whatever is going on the PSP screen through your TV; but the UMD movies are surely not comparable to DVD movies.

Then; there is the problem of Audio CDs & UMDs. It would have been better if some offcial PSP accessory let you rip an audio-cd onto the PSP memory stick (or something similar) in a propreitary format. Same should have been with DVDs...

Atleast, you could have the control over selecting your tracks/scenes...

So, if you tell me to choose between a DS/PSP as a gaming hand-held; I'll choose the DS. Reasons: -

1.) Backward compatibility with GBA
2.) Earlier release
3.) More support...
Sun 20/02/05 at 18:41
"Tesco value"
got the DS, and I will getting the PSP, the touch screen does work surprising well. It's limited to what can be played on it, so driving games let you use it, but I think it's pretty awful for that.

The Metroid hunters which came with it work very well as a FPS on a console, definatly the way to play them, similar to using the mouse on a PC.

I will get the PSP but only when the battery life is improved, trouble is, no games really grab me on it at the moment. I know many developers are working on it, but I think their games need a bit more premoting to get people interested. I'm still not sure what the graphics are like on it. I know they are comparable to the PS2, but wheres the proof?
Sun 20/02/05 at 16:40
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Drexyl wrote:
> I think the prices accurately reflect the uses of the machine.
> £100 for a DS and you're getting a sole gaming machine.
> £200 for a PSP and you're getting a machine that can play
> games, play movies, play music etc. Both of them are worth what is
> being charged. Personally I would go for a DS because the games look
> better and I think the price is more reasonable.

Actually you can get the value pack for £140 now. Be it an american one.
Sun 20/02/05 at 15:46
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I think the prices accurately reflect the uses of the machine. £100 for a DS and you're getting a sole gaming machine. £200 for a PSP and you're getting a machine that can play games, play movies, play music etc. Both of them are worth what is being charged. Personally I would go for a DS because the games look better and I think the price is more reasonable.
Sun 20/02/05 at 15:42
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Ready wrote:
> I thought so. The DS looks more like a personal organiser with that
> touch stick thing! The PSP looks like a real gaming machine, the only
> good thing I can think of about the DS is the price!

Hahah.

PSP is a gaming machine and the DS isn't? Riiiiiight.
Sun 20/02/05 at 15:00
"\(^_-)/ yea i win"
PSP
Sun 20/02/05 at 14:33
"Retarded List"
My thoughts exactly.

While the touch-screen is a good idea, I can't imagine holding the DS and prodding it with the stylus. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me.
Sun 20/02/05 at 13:40
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I'll be getting a PSP for sure, however I'm still undecided about the DS. I just think the novelty of the touch screen will wear off quickly, and I really can't be bothered with Mario and friends, and no doubt they'll dominate the release schedule.
Sun 20/02/05 at 13:33
Regular
"Steady, Go!"
Emitime wrote:
I really don't see
why'd you'd want a portable console for more than simple
entertainment.

That's what a gaming console is all about! Anyway, on the PSP you can watch movies and play music so...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.