GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP or DS?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/02/05 at 13:17
Regular
"Steady, Go!"
I know there have probably been similar posts to this, but which one? At the moment i'm leaning towards the PSP, should I be?
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:55
Regular
"Bicycle"
nova prospekt wrote:
> I do admit the graphics on the DS cannot compete with the PSP but the
> DS was never meant to, it is menat to fill the gap until the release
> of the GBA 2.

That's tripe man, utter tripe. The DS isn't a filler...
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:37
Regular
A main reason for me not buying a PSP apart from the price and poor battery life, is sonys opinion on the effect on gameplay with dead pixels. Personally i hate them passionately, sony on the other hand dont seem to mind them.
At least 5 dead pixels before replacement? heh
Nintendo on the other hand are quite considerate the the plight of LCD screens. A friend has recently purchased a DS off the official nintendo site but when it came it had a dead pixel in the middle of the bottom screen. He sent it back and has now got a replacement, and its perfect.
I do admit the graphics on the DS cannot compete with the PSP but the DS was never meant to, it is menat to fill the gap until the release of the GBA 2.
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:02
Regular
The PSP beats the DS at games designed for home consoles, because the PSP is more like a home console. The PSP is THE Mini PS2 (except it's stuck with silly UMD's instead of letting you play your DVDs).

The DS is the true handheld machine though.
From the battery life to the quirkyness of the games.
I can see Pictochat being potentially big... although whether it actually catches on is another thing altogether.

Tellah, I was going to give a word of warning over a customs tax (that you get charged on delivery) if you ordered it outside the UK but videogamesplus.ca are good for that*. They disguise it as something less valuable! ;-D

*Based on reports of the many DS importers in the Nintendo forum.
Tue 22/02/05 at 11:25
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Videogamesplus.ca have stopped taking preorders on the US unit. They only have the imported Jap machines now. I'm sure they'll get more units allocated soon enough though.

I managed to get in there early enough (couple of weeks back) and bagged the following:

PSP Value Pack - £129
Ridge Racers - £30
P&P to UK - £25

Now all that for £185! Considering the UK value pack ALONE is up for preorder at £180, I'd recommend people import as soon as they get more stock.

Regarding PSP vs. DS...
I think this quote I read in a magazine about Ridge Racers on both systems sums up my feelings...

'Ridge Racers on the DS is an approximation of the Ridge Racer experience.. Ridge Racers on the PSP IS the Ridge Racer experience'.
Mon 21/02/05 at 20:54
"Tesco value"
The Winster wrote:
> ßulle†† wrote:
> The Winster wrote:
> Atleast, you could have the control over selecting your
> tracks/scenes...
>
> ? You have control over tracks/scenes with any media player.
>
>
> Nope. There are many media players that don't support FF, rewind
> etc....
>
> Anyways; what I meant by that was, in the case of UMDs; you would
> need to take a whole UMD of an artist/film for a single track/some
> scenes. While on the other hand; when DS gets the video playback
> support as written on uknds.com - it'd be you who transfers the video
> files from your PC/DVD to the NDS memory source. So, you could make
> your very own compilation on the NDS unlike the PSP. But as you said,
> PSP already supports that. But then, there is no need for all those
> big-talks of UMDs

along similar lines, you can transfer your movie to the memory stick DUO for the PSP, you can get up to a gig, which as the UMD can hold 1.6 gig, is quite comparable!
I watch movies on my phone at work without any problems, I dont know what the read/write rate for a DUO is, so the video and speech may lag, but I might be proved wrong. and as it's reading from the memory card, with no moving parts, the batter would last longer.

like the idea of having slide shows on the PSP as it charges, would look great on that screen of it.

now, onto videogamesplus.ca.
thanks Bullett!
Mon 21/02/05 at 18:48
I think psp it looks amazing
Mon 21/02/05 at 17:42
Regular
"Always the winner?"
ßullett wrote:
> > TheWinster Wrote: -
> > 2.) Earlier release
> Well, a week after you guys have opened your
> shiny new DS's, I'll be opening my shiny new PSP.

With an earlier release, I meant that the NDS would mature quickly than the PSP in terms of the catalogue...
Mon 21/02/05 at 17:37
Regular
"Always the winner?"
ßulle†† wrote:
> > The Winster wrote:
> > Atleast, you could have the control over selecting your
> > tracks/scenes...
>
> ? You have control over tracks/scenes with any media player.

Nope. There are many media players that don't support FF, rewind etc....

Anyways; what I meant by that was, in the case of UMDs; you would need to take a whole UMD of an artist/film for a single track/some scenes. While on the other hand; when DS gets the video playback support as written on uknds.com - it'd be you who transfers the video files from your PC/DVD to the NDS memory source. So, you could make your very own compilation on the NDS unlike the PSP. But as you said, PSP already supports that. But then, there is no need for all those big-talks of UMDs
Mon 21/02/05 at 07:26
Regular
Try videogamesplus.ca.

I thought you weren't going ahead until you new for sure you'd get a Samsung-component one?

Just over a Month to go...
Mon 21/02/05 at 07:19
"Tesco value"
IM wont take my Visa card, I cant pay any other way!

I'll have to wait till the get some USA ones on ebay

:'-(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.