GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PLAYSTATION 2 What has it going for it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/04/01 at 21:08
Regular
Right lets get this over and done with shall we?

Where are all the AAA titles we where promised for the PS2??
After all the machine has had so much hype that you would expect something decent to appear by now!

Look at the number of developers creating games for it, with that rate you would expect to see TOP QUALITY games. Not Cheap rushed efforts, 3DO Take note, ie 'No more Army Men games'.
And dont say that Sega's games are a blessing either. Because you only have to look at the games screenshots to come to the conclusion, that they look no-better than the Dreamcast Versions.

And, yes I know, Metal Gear 2 and GTA 3 are being released, but is that it?
Is that all the Playstation 2 has going for it?
What now would give me and so many other gamers a reason to buy a Playstation 2?
With the dawn of the Gamecube on the horizon and even the X-BOX, Sony will probably get the kick up the back side that it so deserves.

Roll on E3, it could change everything.

Tue 24/04/01 at 10:51
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Your Honour wrote:
Yes but what games are out NOW?!?!

Approximatly 30 - 40 titles including:

TTT, Timesplitters, ZOE, Starfighter, SSX, Quake 3, Unreal Tournement (can I spell?) etc etc Not to mention the various EA sports games: FIFA, NFL etc
Tue 24/04/01 at 10:35
Regular
mattyboy wrote:
Over 300 games
> currently in development, 100's more rummored, many PC classics
> being translated also

Yes but what games are out NOW?!?!

BTW Wookiee, MSR is set to appear on X-Box, but it's not going to be called MSR, it will be named something else.
Tue 24/04/01 at 10:27
Regular
"Complete Banker"
The range and quality of PS2 games will improve. Yoyr bound to get the odd lemon on any system (Superman 64!?), but the PS2 is not even 6 months old in the UK and already there are about 10 really good games (Eg TTT, Timesplitters, ZOE, Starfighter, Quake 3, SSX etc etc)
and over the next 6 months that raft of top titles is bound to appear, games already mentioned such as The Getaway and Dropship are groundbreaking new titles, both made by Sony Studios.....
The ps2 has a lot going for it!
Tue 24/04/01 at 07:47
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
pS2 needs 2 improve it's range of games.Gotta go 4 scholl now.C ya l8r
Tue 24/04/01 at 00:37
Regular
the 64 only had one donkey kong game, and only one or two pokemon games. and both were poor. and i dont think GC will be avalaunched with those sorts of games. already there is a huge variety of games set to be released for GC and it looks very exciting. sure there will be a banjo game here and a Mario game there, but without them it wouldnt be Nintendo would it! most of the sega games coming to PS2 will also be on GC with a few announced last week.

Nintendo have kept it all very secretive, footage wise though, i think they want the E3 event to be huge for GC so they are saving everything for that.
Tue 24/04/01 at 00:25
"High polygon count"
TheMorrigan wrote:
> Did anyone get my point I was trying to make here?
> I have only
> heard a couple games which I would rate AAA Titles.

Maybe that's just because they don't appeal to your tastes?

There are plenty of very good games out on PS2 - SSX, Madden 2001, DoA2, ZOE (is actually very good), NHL 2001, Tekken Tag Starfighter, and more. I have 11 games for my PS2 and don't consider any of them to be poor; if I did, I wouldn't have bought them!

Tomb Raider Chronicles, by the way, is a PS1 game!

> They arent something new, creative and original and
> neither is Crazi Taxi-it is a DC port after all and
> Winback is an N64 Port.

They are new to the PS2, though. Do these games suddenly become poor because they're on PS2? Personally, neither Winback or Crazy Taxi appeal to me - Winback has received average reviews, and Crazy Taxi - well, IMHO it's Driver, but with less depth.

I'm glad that Sega are producing for PS2, but to be honest, most of their games don't appeal to me; if they did, I'd have bought a Dreamcast. There's only one game that I personally would be interested in if it ever got ported, and that's MSR. However, that's not a Sega game!

> Compare the Playstation 'Greats' to say what the N64 had
> to offer.

I did - that's why I bought a PlayStation! ;-)

As I've said many times, I'm keeping an eye on GameCube - but if it gets buried under another avalanche of Mario-this, Donkey Kong-that and Pokemon the other, I'll skip it, thanks.
Mon 23/04/01 at 23:55
Regular
liked mario kart. but not the other two. However now, the n64 has loads of quality games and in time the PS2 will also. i have over 20 top games for my 64 and love all of them.
Mon 23/04/01 at 23:46
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
I take it you didnt like Pilot Wings, Mario Kart or Waverace?
Mon 23/04/01 at 23:38
Regular
i have to say i am a Nintendo fan, but 6 games aint enough. Turok was s***e, however Mario was a classic.
Mon 23/04/01 at 23:33
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
I would have to say those '6' games contained more AAA titles than what the PS2 has going for it now. That's the difference.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.