GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Choose my future"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/06/04 at 17:22
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm not one to seek advice from strangers but I really need some help making up my mind here.

I'm not sure what course to do at university - I can take one of two routes, which are:

1. Journalism

2. Creative writing / Script writing

I feel more inclined towards the second category as I feel I woudld enjoy it more, though I think it is probably a harder area to get into and harder to find work in, whilst journalism can apply to papers, magazines and e-zines, all which pay decent wages.

I know everything isnt about money, though I'd like to have the security of knowing a job would be easily availible.

Give me some advice, please.
Fri 25/06/04 at 12:50
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Heh. Can someone explain the difference between Journalism and Creative Writing?

It's a tough on Paradox; do what feels best. I took a degree geared toward my career and loathed it. On the other hand, it taught me an awful lot about using didactic reasoning and logic. Each degree has it's advantage.
Fri 25/06/04 at 10:33
Regular
"SOUP!"
I have found the name of a course I really like the sound of

"Journalism with criminology"

sounds special. I'm getting more info on it, sounds great though.
Thu 24/06/04 at 21:48
Regular
I'd say do Creative Writing because it's what you enjoy.

But that's probably just me. :-)

Anysway, I think you could still get a journalistic job with a creative writing degree, because they're not so a million miles from each other...
You'd just be more geared for creative writing than journalism.
Thu 24/06/04 at 18:39
Regular
"SOUP!"
It sounds brilliant, more or less exactly what I'm looking for - though I'd like to find a course a bit closer to home I think. If I cant find one then I'll be joining you - you'd like that, wouldn't you.

(thanks for link)
Thu 24/06/04 at 16:38
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Paradox: wrote:
> Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Paradox: wrote:
> "Journalism and Print Media" sounds fairly good and
> suitable-ish
>
> Do that, that's what I'm doing, and I rule - I work for the UK's
> 'biggest' games company.
>
> At the "University of East London" ? That was the only one
> of the UCAS website I saw that did the course. There wasnt an awful
> lot of information about the course given though; if you know much
> about what the course entails I'd like to hear a bit more.

As if by magic...
[URL]http://www.uel.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/undergraduate-J.htm#[/URL]

Clicky the link
Thu 24/06/04 at 13:57
Regular
"SOUP!"
Deathskitten wrote:
> Paradox which uni are u thinking of going to?
> i think that u should do some thing u enjoy but something that is
> likely to get u a decent job at the end of it. you can always write
> in ur sparetime.

I dont know which university I'd like to go to, it depends on which course I settle on to be honest. I've not decided if I want to up and leave and go somewhere far away, or stay relatively close to home (leeds).
Thu 24/06/04 at 13:55
Regular
"SOUP!"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Paradox: wrote:
> "Journalism and Print Media" sounds fairly good and
> suitable-ish
>
> Do that, that's what I'm doing, and I rule - I work for the UK's
> 'biggest' games company.

At the "University of East London" ? That was the only one of the UCAS website I saw that did the course. There wasnt an awful lot of information about the course given though; if you know much about what the course entails I'd like to hear a bit more.
Thu 24/06/04 at 13:01
Regular
"but i am a sheep..."
kyle you could always become a hooker... you'd only have to work nights which would leave you with the day to express your creative side! ;-)
Thu 24/06/04 at 11:13
Regular
"but i am a sheep..."
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Come on, seriously now. You can write a few short stories and that's
> about it. Hardly anyone likes them, they're not even that good.

wow thats harsh!
i like them and i don't think that they are crap!
Thu 24/06/04 at 11:11
Regular
"but i am a sheep..."
Paradox which uni are u thinking of going to?
i think that u should do some thing u enjoy but something that is likely to get u a decent job at the end of it. you can always write in ur sparetime.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.