GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Winners and Losers of Euro 2004"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/06/04 at 22:24
Regular
"The Red Shift"
So Far:

TEAMS:

Winners:

Portugal- They're through and how. A dashing win against their national neighbours has sent them flying through on a high and best of all the home nation are still in.

Greece- Played well for their qualifications and were "outsiders" for going through to the quarters.

Czech Republic- A thrilling game against Holland turned up a win for the Eastern European side who are through to the quarters with a game in hand.

Croatia- Still got a chance with the final group game fast approaching. A bunch of no hopers have jumped on the big boy beating band wagon (well almost) with a draw merited (perhaps only by a second half performance) against a disorientated french side.

Latvia- Haven't been crushed in the group of death. An accomplishment on its own, but they could go through aswell, if the profits back them against a less than smooth dutch team.

Sweden- Perrenial tournament steadies, and haven't dissapointed this year.

Losers:

Russia- Out after 2 games and a poor disciplinary record to boot. Ambiguity over their entry to the finals and that didn't stop a few months ago. A reasonable win against a qualified Greece team, doesn't really mask a poor tournament on and off the pitch.

Bulgaria- Out and seemed like a sunday league team at times. "Anyone for a pint" must have rung in the players ears too many times.

Switzerland- Biggest defeat of the tournament so far and little to be seen from some much built up players. Better book ya plain tickets lads.

Holland- Well it's not really a failure for them (that came in the form of failure to qualify for a recent world cup) as they never seem to "click". It would take some hard work and some good football to see them getting a second place.

Players:

Winners:

Wayne Rooney- The chaotic english media are actually half right about the amount of praise given out this time. He may only be able to do it at international level so far, but the best in the england shirt without doubt. Surely performances only rise a summer buying price?

Zinedine Zidane- The flair has paid off so far. A shining beacon of a meandering France. Captaincy, penalties and free-kicks are all taken in his stride. "No, he doesn't have a bald spot" is surely the angle of the hair cut, but it's the man who plays underneath it that's grabbing praise. [Galactico indeed.

Nuno Gomes- A second half sub who will be heavily praised for years to come, or at least till portugal play a definite quarter final.

Luis Figo- Playing well enough to force someone to comment on him as "hard-working), a rarity.

Jorge Andrade- A primary example as to why 24 is not too young for a centre back.

Milan Baros- Continuing a sparkling international track record. Superlatives only, please, for his play in the current tournament.

Losers:

Francesco Totti- Spitting is for those who live a rugged life on the streets, not a suposed world class talent. Seems not to be able to transfer serie A performances to the world stage. Disgraceful. The team will do better without him.

Sebastien Frei- The talent hasn't flourished as yet and a dubious saliva offence put him in the spotlight.

David James- Hasn't covered himself in glory having made a poor decision for a certain french mans set piece.

Philip Cocu- A purely rank player at this tourne and there isn't enough space for numerous team mates.

Add your own or comment if you like...
Mon 21/06/04 at 00:05
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I know this is probably the wrong topic to put this in but ( God help me) if beckham isnt fit and isnt playing well, why not drop him and use dyer down the right side ?
Mon 21/06/04 at 00:00
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Flock wrote:
> i'm not exactly pleased though as we're going to run into the portugese if we're lucky enough to get through.

England play well against the better teams, so it might not be a bad thing.
Sun 20/06/04 at 23:58
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I've been saying for ages that Nuno Gomes was a bloody good player, you only had to watch Euro 2000 to see that, i can't undertsand why he was dropped to a bench warmer after that competition, i'm not exactly pleased though as we're going to run into the portugese if we're lucky enough to get through.
Sun 20/06/04 at 23:53
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Ashley wrote:
> Switzerland you have been most harsh on. They were good against us

I think it was more England being bad, we were poor and the Swiss just played their game.

> Holland bad?

Yes they have been bad and on a good day Holland would never have let a 2 goal lead slip, they have been on a downturn for quite a few years now and their performances in the build up to and in the Euro have been average. They can certainly do a lot better than this - on the verge of going out.

> Portugal have been utter balls and somehow fuked qualification, and
> figo has been vastly disappointing so far.

Yeh but Ronaldo, Maniche, Cosiniha have done pretty well, and with this being a derby they place pretty well, would be funny if they won it now.

> David james poor? he hasn't made a mistake yet.

He's made 2 major blunders which potentially saw England lose to France - Beckham was telling A.Cole to get back on the line but James sent him back, then when the freekick came in he decided to edge towards the area which was covered by the wall which of course meant he was going the wrong way when Zidane shot into the right hand side which he should have been covering - against the 'best' he screwed up in his decison making, against the Swiss he was great - he still has to prove himself.
Sun 20/06/04 at 22:58
Regular
Clazon wrote:

>
I must say i disagree with a lot of what you wrote.

The basics:

sebastian frey is a goalie who plays for france
Alexander Frei is a swiss spitter.

Switzerland you have been most harsh on. They were good against us though the croat game was balls. they also haven't recieved the biggest beating so far. i think Bulgaria losing 5-0 might be a little worse!

Holland bad? the only team not to have played latvia in their group. Had the joint best performance of the tournament last night!

Portugal have been utter balls and somehow fuked qualification, and figo has been vastly disappointing so far.

David james poor? he hasn't made a mistake yet. I'd like to see any keeper in the world have saved that as it was travelling at about 75 mph!

How did nedved not make that list? probs rosicky too? Gronkjaer deserves a mention! one sub appearance 1 goal and all the publicity about his mum dying and dodgy transfer on going!
Sun 20/06/04 at 22:45
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I agree completely about Czech Republic and Baros. They've had a brilliant tournament already, mainly down to that result against Holland. I actually believe they can win the tournament. With Baros's scoring record and he and Koller's extremely successful partnership continuing to work, along with the brilliance of Nedved, Poborsky and Rosicky, why not?
Sun 20/06/04 at 22:24
Regular
"The Red Shift"
So Far:

TEAMS:

Winners:

Portugal- They're through and how. A dashing win against their national neighbours has sent them flying through on a high and best of all the home nation are still in.

Greece- Played well for their qualifications and were "outsiders" for going through to the quarters.

Czech Republic- A thrilling game against Holland turned up a win for the Eastern European side who are through to the quarters with a game in hand.

Croatia- Still got a chance with the final group game fast approaching. A bunch of no hopers have jumped on the big boy beating band wagon (well almost) with a draw merited (perhaps only by a second half performance) against a disorientated french side.

Latvia- Haven't been crushed in the group of death. An accomplishment on its own, but they could go through aswell, if the profits back them against a less than smooth dutch team.

Sweden- Perrenial tournament steadies, and haven't dissapointed this year.

Losers:

Russia- Out after 2 games and a poor disciplinary record to boot. Ambiguity over their entry to the finals and that didn't stop a few months ago. A reasonable win against a qualified Greece team, doesn't really mask a poor tournament on and off the pitch.

Bulgaria- Out and seemed like a sunday league team at times. "Anyone for a pint" must have rung in the players ears too many times.

Switzerland- Biggest defeat of the tournament so far and little to be seen from some much built up players. Better book ya plain tickets lads.

Holland- Well it's not really a failure for them (that came in the form of failure to qualify for a recent world cup) as they never seem to "click". It would take some hard work and some good football to see them getting a second place.

Players:

Winners:

Wayne Rooney- The chaotic english media are actually half right about the amount of praise given out this time. He may only be able to do it at international level so far, but the best in the england shirt without doubt. Surely performances only rise a summer buying price?

Zinedine Zidane- The flair has paid off so far. A shining beacon of a meandering France. Captaincy, penalties and free-kicks are all taken in his stride. "No, he doesn't have a bald spot" is surely the angle of the hair cut, but it's the man who plays underneath it that's grabbing praise. [Galactico indeed.

Nuno Gomes- A second half sub who will be heavily praised for years to come, or at least till portugal play a definite quarter final.

Luis Figo- Playing well enough to force someone to comment on him as "hard-working), a rarity.

Jorge Andrade- A primary example as to why 24 is not too young for a centre back.

Milan Baros- Continuing a sparkling international track record. Superlatives only, please, for his play in the current tournament.

Losers:

Francesco Totti- Spitting is for those who live a rugged life on the streets, not a suposed world class talent. Seems not to be able to transfer serie A performances to the world stage. Disgraceful. The team will do better without him.

Sebastien Frei- The talent hasn't flourished as yet and a dubious saliva offence put him in the spotlight.

David James- Hasn't covered himself in glory having made a poor decision for a certain french mans set piece.

Philip Cocu- A purely rank player at this tourne and there isn't enough space for numerous team mates.

Add your own or comment if you like...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.