GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Winners and Losers of Euro 2004"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/06/04 at 22:24
Regular
"The Red Shift"
So Far:

TEAMS:

Winners:

Portugal- They're through and how. A dashing win against their national neighbours has sent them flying through on a high and best of all the home nation are still in.

Greece- Played well for their qualifications and were "outsiders" for going through to the quarters.

Czech Republic- A thrilling game against Holland turned up a win for the Eastern European side who are through to the quarters with a game in hand.

Croatia- Still got a chance with the final group game fast approaching. A bunch of no hopers have jumped on the big boy beating band wagon (well almost) with a draw merited (perhaps only by a second half performance) against a disorientated french side.

Latvia- Haven't been crushed in the group of death. An accomplishment on its own, but they could go through aswell, if the profits back them against a less than smooth dutch team.

Sweden- Perrenial tournament steadies, and haven't dissapointed this year.

Losers:

Russia- Out after 2 games and a poor disciplinary record to boot. Ambiguity over their entry to the finals and that didn't stop a few months ago. A reasonable win against a qualified Greece team, doesn't really mask a poor tournament on and off the pitch.

Bulgaria- Out and seemed like a sunday league team at times. "Anyone for a pint" must have rung in the players ears too many times.

Switzerland- Biggest defeat of the tournament so far and little to be seen from some much built up players. Better book ya plain tickets lads.

Holland- Well it's not really a failure for them (that came in the form of failure to qualify for a recent world cup) as they never seem to "click". It would take some hard work and some good football to see them getting a second place.

Players:

Winners:

Wayne Rooney- The chaotic english media are actually half right about the amount of praise given out this time. He may only be able to do it at international level so far, but the best in the england shirt without doubt. Surely performances only rise a summer buying price?

Zinedine Zidane- The flair has paid off so far. A shining beacon of a meandering France. Captaincy, penalties and free-kicks are all taken in his stride. "No, he doesn't have a bald spot" is surely the angle of the hair cut, but it's the man who plays underneath it that's grabbing praise. [Galactico indeed.

Nuno Gomes- A second half sub who will be heavily praised for years to come, or at least till portugal play a definite quarter final.

Luis Figo- Playing well enough to force someone to comment on him as "hard-working), a rarity.

Jorge Andrade- A primary example as to why 24 is not too young for a centre back.

Milan Baros- Continuing a sparkling international track record. Superlatives only, please, for his play in the current tournament.

Losers:

Francesco Totti- Spitting is for those who live a rugged life on the streets, not a suposed world class talent. Seems not to be able to transfer serie A performances to the world stage. Disgraceful. The team will do better without him.

Sebastien Frei- The talent hasn't flourished as yet and a dubious saliva offence put him in the spotlight.

David James- Hasn't covered himself in glory having made a poor decision for a certain french mans set piece.

Philip Cocu- A purely rank player at this tourne and there isn't enough space for numerous team mates.

Add your own or comment if you like...
Mon 21/06/04 at 20:11
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Ashley wrote:
> sebastian frey is a goalie who plays for france
> Alexander Frei is a swiss spitter.

I think it was obvious in context i was talking about alexander.

> Switzerland you have been most harsh on. They were good against us

So 3-0 is a good result? I think not. I've seen them play far better in the qualifiers than anything they've churned up in the finals.

> though the croat game was balls. they also haven't recieved the
> biggest beating so far. i think Bulgaria losing 5-0 might be a little
> worse!

*second biggest and you stabbed yourself in the back with the croatia comment.

> Holland bad? the only team not to have played latvia in their group.
> Had the joint best performance of the tournament last night!

Dear lord, if you have a team of such good european players, who are payed and worth buckets of anyones money in club money, you'd hope they could do a little better atleast than they have so far.

> Portugal have been utter balls and somehow fuked qualification, and
> figo has been vastly disappointing so far.

Figo was dissapointing for real, yes, but in the tournament so far he's worked hard, captained well and improved his set pieces if only a little.

> David james poor? he hasn't made a mistake yet. I'd like to see any
> keeper in the world have saved that as it was travelling at about 75
> mph!

It was his decision to send Cole back into the wall, which was fatal. Numerous times he's been in no man's land and finally i havent seen him hold a good save yet!

> How did nedved not make that list? probs rosicky too? Gronkjaer
> deserves a mention! one sub appearance 1 goal and all the publicity
> about his mum dying and dodgy transfer on going!

gronkjaer had a good sub performance which i watched, but theirs been 3 games for some teams. If he prooves his worth in the side in denmarks final game, he might be in with a shout.

Nedved probably should be on there, but i admire him greatly and so set him high standards.

tomas rosicky does not however, when you look at how he has been overshadowed by Cech, Nedved, Baros and Smicer.
Mon 21/06/04 at 16:29
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Ashley wrote:
> David james poor? he hasn't made a mistake yet.

You can't have been watching too well.
Mon 21/06/04 at 15:38
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
ITALY = winners even without totti

baggio never spat
Mon 21/06/04 at 14:43
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Wheres France and England?
Mon 21/06/04 at 14:27
Regular
Surely Spain are big losers. A talented team and in a great position with a win against Russia and leading against Greece then they threw it all away. And so far Michael Owens been a bigger loser than David James.
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:21
Regular
Pauleta can't do anything right and I have no idea why
> he's always on the starting line up,

that might be a minor issue that he has one of the best international strike rates in the world he has 30 goals in 60 games. He also has a 1 in 2 strike rate for PSG. And was immense in portugals e2k4 (freestyle (saving no time!)) warm up matches
Mon 21/06/04 at 09:06
Regular
Flock wrote:
> I've been saying for ages that Nuno Gomes was a bloody good player,
> you only had to watch Euro 2000 to see that, i can't undertsand why
> he was dropped to a bench warmer after that competition

Very true. Pauleta can't do anything right and I have no idea why he's always on the starting line up, hopefully Scolari has seen some sense and will put Gomes on from the start on Thursday but something tells me he's not going to :(
Mon 21/06/04 at 09:04
Regular
Ashley wrote:
> ha schmeichel cracked me up. had something against figo. he denied it
> but he blatantly hates him!

Bah thank you! Someone else who realised that, stupid d.ick! For a Portuguese fan to be sitting there and having to listen to that idiot...argh! Ah well, at least I'm getting Portuguese TV today so I won't have to listen to stupid comments on Thursday :)
Mon 21/06/04 at 01:56
Regular
ha schmeichel cracked me up. had something against figo. he denied it but he blatantly hates him!
Mon 21/06/04 at 00:52
Regular
Dropping your star player, and captain is just like stabbing yourself in the back. Imagine the headlines if England lost in a game where Beckham was dropped! Perhaps he should be used like Figo is used by Portugal. I dont think Figo has finished any of the 3 games, but the fans love him and the rest of the players must feed off that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.