GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Music, a lifestyle choice?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/06/04 at 15:53
Regular
"SOUP!"
Music, a lifestyle choice?

Music maybe well be an overlooked aspect of the life that one chooses to lead; I do use the word ‘may’ here with some degree of caution. Does the sort of music a person chooses to listen to have an impact on their lifestyle or does a person’s lifestyle denote the sort of music a person will listen to?

It is no coincidence that the majority of people who listen to rap and hip hop music tend to aspire to or relate to gang behaviour and suchlike. Especially in North America this can be shown; the street gangs roll around in their pimped-up cars listening to rap music, not hardcore Swedish trance or Slipknot. Now rap music generally talk about “popping caps in people’s ass”, something gangs (especially in North America) tend to do. So the question I am asking is does listening to these lyrics make a person more inclined to indulge in gang behaviour, or does their gang behaviour lead them to listen to music that reflects their lifestyle? Then there is the matter of “bling”. Do people who wear “bling” do so because they think it looks good or because of the fact their musical idols do so? I’d be inclined to say it was the latter. Then there are other things; people who are in gangs and listen to rap music are also more likely to carry a gun on their person with the intent of using it (again, mostly in North America) – does this stem from listening to lyrics about guns and violence or would they still carry weapons without their choice of music?

Moving away from rap, is it a coincidence that people who listen to metal or ‘gothic’ music generally have a more negative outlook on life? The lyrics of most metal/grunge/goth bands are typically about how bad life is, how people are the diseases on the face on the crumbling Earth and we’ll all die alone and be forgotten. Whilst depression can be a medical thing that has nothing to do with anything else, it can also be due to ones activities and if a person listens to a band telling them how bad life is, surely that will have an impact on their outlook. Or could it be that already depressed or angst-filled people turn to metal/grunge/goth music because it reflects their own lives in some way, and as such provides an outlet of some sort by listening to it?

You can also ask the same questions of people who listen to pop music; without pop music would they still be the same air-headed giggle-bags who think they’re God’s gift to the opposite sex, or do empty boy-band lyrics turn them that way? Does classical music make you 50 and own a Mercedes or is it a status thing? Do people who miss their youth listen to music from their ‘own generation’ to try and rekindle their youth, or do they just like the music? Then you can ask, are people with broader music tastes more socially accepted than those with niche tastes in music?

You can ask the question for any genre of music, I believe.

What would be really interesting would be to take music away from society and see what happened. Would gang behaviour dry up, would depressed teenagers stop crying their nights away in their room listening to Nirvana and would trance fans stop popping pills and twitching? Or would segregated culture survive without music to accentuate its being? Who knows, but its certainly a good point to ponder.
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:53
Regular
"SOUP!"
Music, a lifestyle choice?

Music maybe well be an overlooked aspect of the life that one chooses to lead; I do use the word ‘may’ here with some degree of caution. Does the sort of music a person chooses to listen to have an impact on their lifestyle or does a person’s lifestyle denote the sort of music a person will listen to?

It is no coincidence that the majority of people who listen to rap and hip hop music tend to aspire to or relate to gang behaviour and suchlike. Especially in North America this can be shown; the street gangs roll around in their pimped-up cars listening to rap music, not hardcore Swedish trance or Slipknot. Now rap music generally talk about “popping caps in people’s ass”, something gangs (especially in North America) tend to do. So the question I am asking is does listening to these lyrics make a person more inclined to indulge in gang behaviour, or does their gang behaviour lead them to listen to music that reflects their lifestyle? Then there is the matter of “bling”. Do people who wear “bling” do so because they think it looks good or because of the fact their musical idols do so? I’d be inclined to say it was the latter. Then there are other things; people who are in gangs and listen to rap music are also more likely to carry a gun on their person with the intent of using it (again, mostly in North America) – does this stem from listening to lyrics about guns and violence or would they still carry weapons without their choice of music?

Moving away from rap, is it a coincidence that people who listen to metal or ‘gothic’ music generally have a more negative outlook on life? The lyrics of most metal/grunge/goth bands are typically about how bad life is, how people are the diseases on the face on the crumbling Earth and we’ll all die alone and be forgotten. Whilst depression can be a medical thing that has nothing to do with anything else, it can also be due to ones activities and if a person listens to a band telling them how bad life is, surely that will have an impact on their outlook. Or could it be that already depressed or angst-filled people turn to metal/grunge/goth music because it reflects their own lives in some way, and as such provides an outlet of some sort by listening to it?

You can also ask the same questions of people who listen to pop music; without pop music would they still be the same air-headed giggle-bags who think they’re God’s gift to the opposite sex, or do empty boy-band lyrics turn them that way? Does classical music make you 50 and own a Mercedes or is it a status thing? Do people who miss their youth listen to music from their ‘own generation’ to try and rekindle their youth, or do they just like the music? Then you can ask, are people with broader music tastes more socially accepted than those with niche tastes in music?

You can ask the question for any genre of music, I believe.

What would be really interesting would be to take music away from society and see what happened. Would gang behaviour dry up, would depressed teenagers stop crying their nights away in their room listening to Nirvana and would trance fans stop popping pills and twitching? Or would segregated culture survive without music to accentuate its being? Who knows, but its certainly a good point to ponder.
Sun 20/06/04 at 18:06
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I'm not sure. I am inclined to agree that music affects the outlook some people have on life sub-consciously to some extent. Affecting the way in which they see themselves, and others. I once watched this television programme in which two twins were woken up at the same time, and one of them had to spend an hour listening to more stereotypically "depressive" music and the other more "cheery" music, and then told to go shopping. The results were that the twin who'd been listening to cheery music bought lots of clothes because she thought they looked good on her, whilst the other twin bought very little, and mainly gifts for other people.

I think this demonstrates that music does affect the kind of lifestyle we lead, whether its the music that gets you into the lifestyle, or the crowd that surrounds you is another matter.

Interesting and refreshing post.
Sun 20/06/04 at 21:21
"period drama"
Music affects mood.
Mood affects music.

In the long-term, ?
Sun 20/06/04 at 21:51
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Hmmm
Fashion and music have always gone hand in hand, and it does seem especially today that the music you listen to denotes the way you are and the life you lead, but which comes first ?
Looking at rap it stemmed from angry young american black men and the situation they found themselves in, it was almost punk music for black america, it seems to have been adopted by those not in that situation aswell now as a fashionable style and almost an ideal, rap has progressed from being about being poor and a victim of society to gangsta rap which is about doing whatever it takes to be sucessful, almost a look after no 1 mentality, anyway i've lost the point i was making, rap started for a reason and became fashionable.
As for the violence aspect of it, i think if you listen to someone going on about shooting people maybe you might start to think it's a little more acceptable.
As for gothic music, i consider myself to be quite dark but it doesnt come listening to that music, i actually go out of my way to avoid listening to it because i find it slightly embarrassing and if is particularly dark it doesnt help my mood in the slightest, when i say embarrassing it's because i've never found anything that actually feels genuine to me, i can only say i beleive depression to be a personal thing and hearing other people talking about it just sounds like complaining.
I don't think everyone who listens to it is depressed, i thinks its largely a fashion thing for people who like wearing black and being faux-miserable.
Music is all about fashion and finding something that you like and suits yourself or the life you want to lead.
As for life without music, god knows what would happen, it would be unimaginable.
I dont think i've answered anything, what a waste of time. :(
Sun 20/06/04 at 23:06
Regular
"~a Libertine~"
When has music ever been about the music?

You're asking a similar question that Nick Hornby asked in 'High Fidelity'

Do I listen to sad music because i'm depressed,
or am i depressed because I listen to sad music?

Well I am a very depressed person and i never listened to music till about this time last yeat... so I can exclusively reveal that it is indeed we listen to sad music because we are depressed!!!

I know, no need to thank me!

Im joking of course. Music is a fashion statement.. listen to people talking, anytime the subject of music comes up the next thing you hear is them asking what type of music they like. If the tastes gel a lovely conversation is based on repoir, or if two conflicting styles like goth and indie come up (depending on the people) they will either scoff at eachother or a protracted silence will follow.

Quick tip, if you know a bit about every style you can usually have conversation with everyone.

I wonder when society got all wrapped up in what sets us apart?...
Sun 20/06/04 at 23:24
Regular
I think that you'll only listen to a certain music if it appeals to your mentality.

But once you're listening to it, the chances are that it will drive your mentality that way.

Gives you a push in the direction you're going...

Sort of. :-)
Mon 21/06/04 at 09:56
Regular
"you've got a beard"
i think it's more the opposite.
people in a specific frame of mind or situation seek out things that reflect their situation. I don't think music has a bearing over a persons behaviour, people will be how they want to be and most of the time the music they choose, the clothes they wear, etc are ways of "flying a flag" to let others know what kind of person they are.
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:16
Regular
"SOUP!"
Strafio wrote:
> I think that you'll only listen to a certain music if it appeals to
> your mentality.
>
> But once you're listening to it, the chances are that it will drive
> your mentality that way.
> Gives you a push in the direction you're going...
>
> Sort of. :-)

I like this rationality :-D
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:21
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I think your wrong about metal/goth (which is the only type of music I feel able to comment on in this context). In my experiance Metal etc Fans are some of the most outgoing, happy pleasant people I've ever met.

Sure It has had bad press being linked to some teen spree killings in the US and so forth, but then video games, so called video nasties, and a whole number of books and poems have also been linked to similar things.
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:24
Regular
"Kram"
I think a lot of people that listen to rap just do it because they think it's cool, and they jump on the bandwagon. If all their friends and piers suddenly stopped listening to it would they still? It's the same with goth music, why is there not a single fan of that style of music that doesn't wear gothy clothes and paint their nails black?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.