GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Music, a lifestyle choice?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/06/04 at 15:53
Regular
"SOUP!"
Music, a lifestyle choice?

Music maybe well be an overlooked aspect of the life that one chooses to lead; I do use the word ‘may’ here with some degree of caution. Does the sort of music a person chooses to listen to have an impact on their lifestyle or does a person’s lifestyle denote the sort of music a person will listen to?

It is no coincidence that the majority of people who listen to rap and hip hop music tend to aspire to or relate to gang behaviour and suchlike. Especially in North America this can be shown; the street gangs roll around in their pimped-up cars listening to rap music, not hardcore Swedish trance or Slipknot. Now rap music generally talk about “popping caps in people’s ass”, something gangs (especially in North America) tend to do. So the question I am asking is does listening to these lyrics make a person more inclined to indulge in gang behaviour, or does their gang behaviour lead them to listen to music that reflects their lifestyle? Then there is the matter of “bling”. Do people who wear “bling” do so because they think it looks good or because of the fact their musical idols do so? I’d be inclined to say it was the latter. Then there are other things; people who are in gangs and listen to rap music are also more likely to carry a gun on their person with the intent of using it (again, mostly in North America) – does this stem from listening to lyrics about guns and violence or would they still carry weapons without their choice of music?

Moving away from rap, is it a coincidence that people who listen to metal or ‘gothic’ music generally have a more negative outlook on life? The lyrics of most metal/grunge/goth bands are typically about how bad life is, how people are the diseases on the face on the crumbling Earth and we’ll all die alone and be forgotten. Whilst depression can be a medical thing that has nothing to do with anything else, it can also be due to ones activities and if a person listens to a band telling them how bad life is, surely that will have an impact on their outlook. Or could it be that already depressed or angst-filled people turn to metal/grunge/goth music because it reflects their own lives in some way, and as such provides an outlet of some sort by listening to it?

You can also ask the same questions of people who listen to pop music; without pop music would they still be the same air-headed giggle-bags who think they’re God’s gift to the opposite sex, or do empty boy-band lyrics turn them that way? Does classical music make you 50 and own a Mercedes or is it a status thing? Do people who miss their youth listen to music from their ‘own generation’ to try and rekindle their youth, or do they just like the music? Then you can ask, are people with broader music tastes more socially accepted than those with niche tastes in music?

You can ask the question for any genre of music, I believe.

What would be really interesting would be to take music away from society and see what happened. Would gang behaviour dry up, would depressed teenagers stop crying their nights away in their room listening to Nirvana and would trance fans stop popping pills and twitching? Or would segregated culture survive without music to accentuate its being? Who knows, but its certainly a good point to ponder.
Tue 22/06/04 at 13:55
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Depends if you choose to label yourself as a fan of a particular 'type' of music I suppose. That just proves your subscribing to the group-culture aspect of it. I think it's very close-minded, but everyone goes through it in their teens I guess. An adult that still feels that way is very sad if you ask me.
Tue 22/06/04 at 13:40
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think it's one that can easily work either way.

I mean, not only will people wear "Bling" to look cool like the 'rappers' they idolise, but many of them seem to listen to rap music in general simply because that makes them appear cool.

It seemed to happen a lot when Eminem came around.

As for "Goths", I'd say they go to the music first because of their negative outlooks on life. And, once they're inside, they only fall deeper. Things get worse; everything appears worse.

I'm interested to know what I am, though, which my obsessive liking for the music of the Red Hot Chili Peppers...

Some kind of sex-loving, drug-taking maniac who'll wear nothing but a single SOCK on stage given the first oppurtunity?

Hmmm... Doesn't sound like me at all! Perhaps this theory doesn't always work?
Tue 22/06/04 at 10:42
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Very_Metal wrote:
> NICE choice!!!!

Heh. Just one of those bands I keep coming back too. Epitaph was a little weak however.

> one of Frontline Assembly is in a comedy-metal band called
> "Zimmers Hole", if you have a shred of humour in you then

Just had a listen to the samples. Very weird. ;)

Wouldn't mind listening to the full tracks, but will have to get hold of some disposable income first!
Tue 22/06/04 at 10:29
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Me? Shaved head, jeans and a t-shirt, a few facial
> piercings and currently listening to Frontline Assembly.

NICE choice!!!!
one of Frontline Assembly is in a comedy-metal band called "Zimmers Hole", if you have a shred of humour in you then you'll love them. check them out here:

[URL]http://www.legionofflames.com[/URL]

.. buy their stuff here:

[URL]http://www.hevydevy.com[/URL]
Mon 21/06/04 at 14:12
Regular
"Kram"
My hair is very short. Rory Gallagher had long hair and he is my idol, anyone who hasn't heard his music should listen to his songs: Walk on hot coals, tatoo'd lady, million miles away and his album deuce, greatist guitarist ever, bar none.
Mon 21/06/04 at 14:09
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I hoipe that wasn't sarcasm, as girls (relatively, compared to old style), flock to me.
Mon 21/06/04 at 14:08
Regular
"SOUP!"
Mattributé wrote:

> For me, my hair is just to look cool

and it works a charm.
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:55
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
Of course I am being overly stereotypical. I tried to make that very clear mate. I'm a trance fan, I've never taken speed or E, I also
like rap but I've never shot a whitey.

Yeah, I realise that, but the thing is that some people do just look at stereotypes. And, I think, therein lies the problem, to some extent.

Can, I fit in, any more, of these comma's, into a sentence, before it just gets, plain silly?
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:52
Regular
"tokyo police club"
When people see my long hair, then automatically think 'Mosher'. Which isn't nice. I had kids in school coming up to me, telling me to cut my hair, calling me a mosher and stuff. Which I could put up with, as I'd have done teh same in their situation, probably worse. But it's the actual people who think they're moshers who are worse, talking about concerts, about drugs and getting high, and being shocked because I don't do none of that.

For me, my hair is just to look cool, and the music is only there to entertain.
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:49
Regular
"SOUP!"
Of course I do, nothing like a nice intellectual discussion, especially with you!

It's very refreshing to see not biased opinions on the matter too. I know of other people who like metal music but dont feel inclined to dress in the hoodys and baggy jeans because they dont feel they want to be so clichéd or make such an overt bold statement about themselves. They think people shouldnt judge people on appearance and choose to dress in "normal clothes", by which I mean jeans and plain-ish tops. It's something I respect quite a lot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.