GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shall we make a website?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/04/01 at 09:53
Regular
I have a fantastical idea. Hows about we all put our heads together and make a gaming website? You could put it on my address at dreamcastplanet.co.uk or a new one.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT TRYING TO REMOVE INTEREST FROM THE DISCUSSIONS BY DOING THIS. In fact the site could be a shrine to Special Reserve with details on all of the users of the boards.
Mon 23/04/01 at 18:02
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I've used 3.1/95/98/ME/2000/NT4/Linux/MacOS...and I find win2000 the best for general use - most new games do support it, and you get a decent amount of control over the system. As the home verisons of windows have progressed, M$ seem intent on giving the user less and less control over the system, and XP is going too far. I'll stick with 2000 for now (dual boot with ME), and in September I'll put Linux on too.
I've only ever had to do complete reinstalls because of Win98/ME, mainly conflicts on the dual boot with 2000, and regularly occuring BSODs. Some of these were just a case of updating drivers, but I got hundreds of VxD stack overflow errors on my old box, reinstalled, and all was fine.
Mon 23/04/01 at 17:51
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
I've had Win95, win98 and now winME, all for at least 2 years, and I have never had to re-install. Linux may be better though, you never know!
Mon 23/04/01 at 17:46
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Mr. Dark wrote:
> Yeah, if you have a 'total' virus, then you might get another one.
> Best to get a zip drive methinks.

Linux is a REALLY powerful OS... Toough its more compairable to NT/2000 than 98/ME...

NT/2000 itself has a much smaller range of avalible drivers avalible to it than WinME.

Overall it is a much better OS... and is seem by Microsoft as their number 1 threat... Which is why, apparently, there trying to make open source code illegal...

Although its much less user friendly than Windows which appears to be attempting to move more towards the MacOS efforts.

---

There seems to be a lot of people here that are finding themselves needing to re-install Windows quite frequently?

I'm not sure how your systems are setup, but noone should really need to do a complete OS re-installation more than once a year... (on average I think its once every two years)...

I use my PC for Games/Apps/Web Design/Programming/etc, I've got a non-standard setup, and a fair mix of components... I frequently install/unstall software... and havnt needed to re-install windows OS since I picked up ME last year... before then I didnt need to reinstall Win98 at all (it came pre-installed)?
Sun 22/04/01 at 19:42
Grix Thraves wrote:
> It wasn't exactly a very harmful virus. It just stopped me from
> accessing windows. That's all.

The reason why my computer got the
> virus though was my first ever post as Grix Thraves.

You left your e-mail address and someone sent you it right?
Sun 22/04/01 at 19:37
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Are you going to enlighten us about how you managed to get a virus from that, or leave it as one of life's eternal mysteries?
Sun 22/04/01 at 19:34
Regular
It wasn't exactly a very harmful virus. It just stopped me from accessing windows. That's all.

The reason why my computer got the virus though was my first ever post as Grix Thraves.
Sun 22/04/01 at 19:32
Yeah, if you have a 'total' virus, then you might get another one. Best to get a zip drive methinks.
Sun 22/04/01 at 19:26
Regular
Mr Dark, it really isn't a matter to be discussed. If Windows needs to be reinstalled, you are not going to have a lot of fun getting it running smoothly.

I've had to do it once, due to a virus... I've got so much work on my PC now, that if it crashed, that's it, I'm buggered.

I really should invest in a Zip Drive.
Sun 22/04/01 at 19:25
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Linux seems a bit overrated to me. Doesn't have as good a selection of drivers as windows either. It's good enough for networks, but I don't really see much benefit of installing it on your home computer.
Sun 22/04/01 at 19:25
> helpful errors ("no keyboard found: press F1 to continue"
> and suchlike)

LOL, i can't belive they put that in!

Windows kicks behinds!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.