GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shadow the Hedgehog: THE GAME"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shadow the Hedgehog'.
Wed 09/03/05 at 15:41
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Yeah- a game entirely devoted to Shadow the Hedgehog is on it's way!

Deviating a little from the Sonic the Hedghog series we see Shadow sporting A GUN, blowing things up, shooting left right and centre. Sort of different to what we were used to in the Sonic universe before, its coming Christmas 2005 though.

Graphics wise it looks very much like the Sonic Adventure series/Heroes but its the Matrix style gun battles that will give it an edge.
A video is on cube.ign.com as well as info on it.
Thu 10/03/05 at 16:38
Regular
"0228"
Hopelessly Addicted wrote:
> Eggman has much more of an evil edge to him now. Sonic
> and Tails are the same now then they were in 2D. If anything, we've
> learnt more about since 3D. We've learnt more about the Knuckles
> character and what his priorities are.

All of the characters had full stories to explain their character in the pre-3D days. All you had to do was read the truly wonderful Sonic the Comic.
Thu 10/03/05 at 15:04
Regular
What's up with Eggman as well?

It sounds gay, they should have stuck with Dr Robotnic.
Thu 10/03/05 at 14:42
"As Always"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> You can't say you didn't want to slaughter every team in Sonic Heroes
> except the one with Sonic himself in it. And he still sounds like an
> idiot, despite being legendry.

Some characters I don't like but I guess they are just trying to appeal to as many people as possible, which is probably a mistake. I much preferred to play as Team Sonic though. I think Sonic sounds okay.

> I just don't think the mix of sonic speed and 3D really went together
> - the best times it worked was when there was a narrow, linear piece
> to zoom down - which kind of makes going into 3D pretty pointless.

I think it could still work. They just to work on it a bit. Sonic Heroes wasn't really aimed at being fast. It was more towards solving a problem by using the team's attributes. Considering it was the only new release featuring Sonic since Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast, the speed issue could still be resolved.
Thu 10/03/05 at 14:06
"period drama"
You can't say you didn't want to slaughter every team in Sonic Heroes except the one with Sonic himself in it. And he still sounds like an idiot, despite being legendry.

I just don't think the mix of sonic speed and 3D really went together - the best times it worked was when there was a narrow, linear piece to zoom down - which kind of makes going into 3D pretty pointless.

I did enjoy playing Adventure when it first came out ... but playing through Mega Collection, you can see that it really has nothing on the older games, when he was in his natural environment.
Thu 10/03/05 at 13:17
"As Always"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> It's because Sonic was an amazing, ground-breaking 2D adventure game -
> nothing came close in terms of speed and level design. And the
> characters were pretty good.
>
> And here we go into 3D. There's a great chuck of speed missing at
> first, and easily the most irritating, pointless, painfully-voiced
> load of toss characters ever made.

I'll agree that the speed was missing for quite a lot of the games. I don't know how you can say that the characters had changed so much from 2D to 3D. Eggman has much more of an evil edge to him now. Sonic and Tails are the same now then they were in 2D. If anything, we've learnt more about since 3D. We've learnt more about the Knuckles character and what his priorities are.

Sure, some of the subsidiary characters may not be everyone's cup of tea but they expand the Sonic universe and I'm sure there is some appeal for these other characters, particularly Shadow, as he is getting his own game.

I'd agree that the voice acting in the early 3D games were bad but I think it's improved over time. It still needs a bit of work.

Level design goes down the pan,
> and we have a pretty standard, pretty boring 3D adventure game like
> so many hundreds of others.

I think there are some really good levels on the Sonic Adventure games, but I guess this comes down to a matter of opinion.

I'd agree that there are some camera issues on the Sonic Adventure games but I've never really been bothered by them and I've had similar problems on other 3D games that I've played.

For a game that's about 8 years old (estimate) and originally released early on a Dreamcast, I'd say they were pretty good for their time.
Thu 10/03/05 at 11:31
Regular
"-_-"
Hopelessly Addicted wrote:
> Sonic Adventure 2 was very
> playable and enjoyable.

Urgh the camera angles were horrible and the find the pieces of emerald levels were dull and boring.
After playing the 3d secret level it made me wonder why the hell they put that in, half the time you cant see where you are going :(
Wed 09/03/05 at 23:43
Regular
"thursdayton!"
FACT: The only decent Sonic game out this generation is Mega Collection.
Wed 09/03/05 at 20:30
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
The adventure games are the best Sonic games ever created.
Wed 09/03/05 at 19:45
"period drama"
It's because Sonic was an amazing, ground-breaking 2D adventure game - nothing came close in terms of speed and level design. And the characters were pretty good.

And here we go into 3D. There's a great chuck of speed missing at first, and easily the most irritating, pointless, painfully-voiced load of toss characters ever made. Level design goes down the pan, and we have a pretty standard, pretty boring 3D adventure game like so many hundreds of others.
Wed 09/03/05 at 18:59
"As Always"
That's a fair comment. I do feel that a lot of people are critical of the recent Sonic games because of the 2D games. Maybe it's down to the fast pace action of Sonic that makes them so critical.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.