GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problem with DVD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/05/04 at 23:35
Regular
"Time Up"
Yesterday I was watching The Godfather part 2 for the first time, the disc was brand new, and it's never been touched before, and then at a certain part, it paused and a large part of the movie was skipped (about a minute or so). I tried to rewind, but it skips everytime. I thought there was something wrong with the disc, so I tried it on my pc DVD, and it worked perfectly! I mean it worked 100% perfectly, without the slightest pause, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, so I tried it on my ps2 again, and the same problem happens with the same part, I kept trying it all over agin and again, and nothing worked, I tried to put the ps2 vertically, and 2 seconds of it were played, but still the rest of it didn't seem to exist, I tried it again on my pc, and it was perfect, and then again on the ps2, and I get the same problem... Anyone has a reasonable explanation ? And please don't just ignore me like all the other posts, this is a serious one, if you have any idea about this please tell me, because it has been really bothering, and all the activities of my life had stopped ever since this thing happen.
Wed 05/05/04 at 11:34
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The Ps2 and Xbox are designed to play games with the added extra of being able to play DVD movies.
They don't cope too well with certain DVD disks, usually the duel layered ones so the fact that it works fine on a stand alone DVD player would suggest that this is your problem.

Sony are unlikely to replace the PS2 unless you have only had it a short time and it is "defective" in some way. A new model may not solve the problem anyway.

Best bet would be to pick up a cheap DVD player, plenty of very good ones around and low prices these days.
Wed 05/05/04 at 13:14
Regular
"Time Up"
Does anyone here own the godfather on DVD ?
Wed 05/05/04 at 15:46
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Yep.

I presume your next question is can we try it on a PS2 to see if it runs ok...

Well I ain't tried it but I have tried other DVD's that work fine on a DVD player but skip or miss bits out or the lip sync gets messed up a bit on the PS2.
Wed 05/05/04 at 16:23
Regular
"Time Up"
So do I get a new one, or will it be the same ?
Wed 05/05/04 at 23:25
Regular
Reason: The PS2 is a crap DVD player. Buy a proper DVD player you tight arsed hippy.
Wed 05/05/04 at 23:32
Regular
"Time Up"
I only own 5 DVD's , it's not worth buying a DVD player, and I can't rent because there are no DVD rentals in Egypt.
Thu 06/05/04 at 09:58
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Cusack wrote:
> I only own 5 DVD's , it's not worth buying a DVD player, and I can't
> rent because there are no DVD rentals in Egypt.

Well watch it on your PC or see if you have the ability to hook the PC up to your TV.

As people have said the PS2 is rubbish at playing DVDs, I had problems with lip syncing and have bought a proper DVD player and have had no problems what so ever. Sony will not change a PS2 because a DVD doesnt work properly as its a games console and not a DVD player. Even if they did change the PS2 you might get the same problems or different problems depending on whether the DVD drivers are the same on both consoles. Look [URL]http://dvd.ign.com/articles/315/315957p1.html?fromint=1[/URL] to see how many DVDs have problems and the sorts of problems, and with what DVD driver versions.
Thu 06/05/04 at 11:29
Regular
"Time Up"
I can connect my pc to my tv using an s-video cable, but will the picture be as clear as it is on ps2 ?
Thu 06/05/04 at 14:41
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Cusack wrote:
> I can connect my pc to my tv using an s-video cable, but will the
> picture be as clear as it is on ps2 ?

Yes it should be. Depends on what connection you use on your PS2.
Thu 06/05/04 at 16:02
Regular
"Time Up"
I use s-video for ps2, so now I have s-video for ps2 and pc, which will display better DVD's ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.