GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problem with DVD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/05/04 at 23:35
Regular
"Time Up"
Yesterday I was watching The Godfather part 2 for the first time, the disc was brand new, and it's never been touched before, and then at a certain part, it paused and a large part of the movie was skipped (about a minute or so). I tried to rewind, but it skips everytime. I thought there was something wrong with the disc, so I tried it on my pc DVD, and it worked perfectly! I mean it worked 100% perfectly, without the slightest pause, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, so I tried it on my ps2 again, and the same problem happens with the same part, I kept trying it all over agin and again, and nothing worked, I tried to put the ps2 vertically, and 2 seconds of it were played, but still the rest of it didn't seem to exist, I tried it again on my pc, and it was perfect, and then again on the ps2, and I get the same problem... Anyone has a reasonable explanation ? And please don't just ignore me like all the other posts, this is a serious one, if you have any idea about this please tell me, because it has been really bothering, and all the activities of my life had stopped ever since this thing happen.
Tue 04/05/04 at 23:35
Regular
"Time Up"
Yesterday I was watching The Godfather part 2 for the first time, the disc was brand new, and it's never been touched before, and then at a certain part, it paused and a large part of the movie was skipped (about a minute or so). I tried to rewind, but it skips everytime. I thought there was something wrong with the disc, so I tried it on my pc DVD, and it worked perfectly! I mean it worked 100% perfectly, without the slightest pause, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, so I tried it on my ps2 again, and the same problem happens with the same part, I kept trying it all over agin and again, and nothing worked, I tried to put the ps2 vertically, and 2 seconds of it were played, but still the rest of it didn't seem to exist, I tried it again on my pc, and it was perfect, and then again on the ps2, and I get the same problem... Anyone has a reasonable explanation ? And please don't just ignore me like all the other posts, this is a serious one, if you have any idea about this please tell me, because it has been really bothering, and all the activities of my life had stopped ever since this thing happen.
Tue 04/05/04 at 23:45
"I love yo... lamp."
Ever get disc read errors on the PS2? If not, I bet you will soon. I assume this happens at the point when the layer changes. Most DVD movies contain too much data to fit on the one layer, hence dual layer DVDs. There is always an ever so slight pause when changing between these. I think the reason you are having the problems is the PS2 is chronically ill.

Of course I may be wrong, but that's my best guess.
Tue 04/05/04 at 23:58
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Problem with PS2 probably. Its known that the PS2 and XBox have problems with some DVDs like layer changes, not being able to get to a chapter etc. If the skip is half way through the film it could suggest a layer change issue. Search around the net and ask if other people with the DVD have problems on there PS2.

Look here [URL]http://dvd.ign.com/articles/315/315957p1.html[/URL] and see the sorts of problems. The only thing to do is to get a standard DVD player, and with the prices they are now you could get a all singing and dancing one for under £80 which would even play DivX and Xvid as well as any DVD from around the world. £40 gives you a multi-regional player.
Wed 05/05/04 at 09:47
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I had a similar problem with one of my dvds a few months back.

When I was first watching through it, it paused for about 3 seconds at this one point, and when I re-watched that bit, it did it again and again on that point. It then struggled to change chapter onto the next episode of the disc, just freezing.

I tried it on a different dvd player, and it worked OK, but I thought the disc could be defective in some way, so I sent it back and got a replacement.
But, the replacement disc had exactly the same kind of problem on one of my dvd players, so I guess it could have just been an incompatability problem between that one disc and my dvd player.

So that kind of thing can happen.
Wed 05/05/04 at 09:49
Regular
"Time Up"
But isn't there anyway to play this disc on my ps2 correctly ? If I take it to sony will they fix it ?
Wed 05/05/04 at 09:53
Regular
"Time Up"
Bejam wrote:
> I had a similar problem with one of my dvds a few months back.
>
> When I was first watching through it, it paused for about 3 seconds
> at this one point, and when I re-watched that bit, it did it again
> and again on that point. It then struggled to change chapter onto the
> next episode of the disc, just freezing.
>
> I tried it on a different dvd player, and it worked OK, but I thought
> the disc could be defective in some way, so I sent it back and got a
> replacement.
> But, the replacement disc had exactly the same kind of problem on one
> of my dvd players, so I guess it could have just been an
> incompatability problem between that one disc and my dvd player.
>
> So that kind of thing can happen.
Thanks a lot mate, I was actually considering buying the trilogy again if I couldn't fix it, you sure saved me a lot of money.
Wed 05/05/04 at 09:57
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Well, it could well be a problem with the PS2, or the disc could be defective, or there could be an incompapability between the two. Who knows?
Wed 05/05/04 at 10:00
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
It could be dust in the system?

I remember watching my copy of Octopussy for the first time, and when Bond is driving through the streets with Vijay, the screen had all blocks and enlarged pixels over it, and looked corrupted.
I took the disc out, gave the player a good strong blow through, and it worked OK after that. Dust probably causes quite a few of those kinds of problems.
Wed 05/05/04 at 10:03
Regular
"Time Up"
Thanks a lot, I'll try that.
Wed 05/05/04 at 10:35
"possibly impossible"
A good excuse to get a DVD Recorder, no?

Hey, and guess what, they sell one right here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.