GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N64 vrs Playstation"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/02/01 at 13:31
Regular
Which is the best N64 or Playstation?

It has got to be the N64!!!

I leave YOU to choose.
N64 or Graystation?
Sat 10/02/01 at 13:31
Which is the best N64 or Playstation?

It has got to be the N64!!!

I leave YOU to choose.
N64 or Graystation?
Sun 11/02/01 at 12:12
Regular
"Under the Wall"
If you really, really have to bring up this topic (and it really has to be life or death to be excused), at least go with something current.
Thu 01/03/01 at 17:59
Well i'm willing to discuss this becasuse how ever much I try to prove to everybody that the X-Box will be the worlds most powerfull console, they start blabbing on about PS2 is the best (they treat it like their god, seriously!)
Anyway, back to the battle, N64 vs Playstation. Well on my honest opinion i would go for N64, this is due to it's incredible graphics and simple character design, although most of the games on the N64 are not realistic and the reson they look so good is becasue they are made up of simple characters in a detailed scenery. Also, have you noticed that the N64 dos'nt try to hide in shame when it comes to FMV's? The Final Fantasy range on the Playstation may have won the public over, but thats only becasue of the movie clips help on the CD, the console is'nt capable of generating grahics that good on it's own so it relies on pre-rendered videos to help it out. The in-game grahics are'nt anything to wow over, pretty basic if you ask me. The N64 on the other hand manages both great FMV's (Zelda, Goldeneye, etc) while keeping the gameplay smooth and clear and makes the two look seamless. This is why gamers who choose grahics over public hype (like me) nearly always choose the N64 (well, with the exception of the Dreamcast and PS2 but this is about cheaper consoles at the moment).
I used to own a Playstation, but when I bought Resident Evil - Suvivor, the only 1st person shoot 'em up from the Resi range, I realised just how bad the Playstation is! It was so blocky and chunky and un-detailed and, well, awfull! The gameplay was'nt much better either (although the story had my hair on end, like all the Resi range) and this is why i choose N64 over the Playstation, due to the fact the games don't look dark and dull and have a bright and cheerfull outlook, as well as incredibly in-depth gameplay and the games go on and on and on. Most of my friends used to borrow my PSX games off me and i would get them back 2 days later becasue they had completed it already!

Phew! I think i've babbled on long enough :) (and proved my point)

jamieB
Wed 11/04/01 at 17:51
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
N64 is far better than the Gaystation, for starters you don't have to load and listen to that horrible clicking noise, and you need a memory card for every single game.
Thu 12/04/01 at 16:04
The N64 is great, so is the Sony Playstation both have great games avilable for them and so I have both systems.

If I had to choose one then Ild probably choose the N64 because of the excellent "Perfect Dark".

However the Playstation has alot of good games such as "Driver 2" available for it so its a close call.
Sat 14/04/01 at 16:59
N64. Great Console. Better then the playstation. Here are a list of reasons why.

1: GRAPHICS. N64 has much better graphics with 64-bit graphics while the station has only 32-bit.

2: GAMES. Great games. Yes, the playstation has WAY more games but who cares?, there are enough N64 games to keep you occipuied for a lifetime.....well, not quite a LIFETIME!! The playstation needs so many games because you get bored of other PS games so easily!!! Take Tomorrow Never Dies for example. The great Rare had shown the world how to make a shoot em' up and playstation tried to better them - with a complete piece of rubbishy tripe!! One of my friends got Tomorrow Never Dies, and, after playing it for 5 minutes, threw it out the window!!!

3: LOADING TIME. Set your disc into the playstation and push the power switch. .........LOADING...........
Put your N64 cartridge into your N64. Push the power switch. Action starts immediatly. SEE? N64 has no loading time, so you just get stuck in with the games. With the playstation, it takes AGES to load!!!!

4: CONTROLLERS/MULTIPLAYER. Playstation: Great, 2 PLAYER ACTION!!!! YAY!!! Yes, I am being sarcastic. More like Awful, 2 player Bore!
N64. Great 4 PLAYER ACTION. As you have guessed, I'm NOT being sarcastic this time. The words say it all. With only 2 controllers, the playstation has to play second fiddle to the N64 on this. No, i havent forgotten about the Multi-Tap. You can have 4 player on the playstation BUT:
1: You have to spend around £30 on a multi-tap
2: Not all that many PS games actually HAVE 4-Player on them.

5: GADGETS. Well, its actually quite obvious who wins this section here. With Memory cards, Rumble Packs, Expansion Packs and Transfer Packs, it is.......guess........come on.......YES! its the 64.
Yes, Yes. Playstation DO have those rumble controllers But they cost you more and they were brought out after the 64 brought them out. Hmmmmmm. Funny, isn't it? The memory cards are pretty OK, but you have to use them for every single game!!! Half the n64 games half on-cart save!
As for the expansion pack, well it boosts the graphics of corse. Nothing wrong with that is there?
The transfer pack. Thats a stroke of genius. Transfer stuff from your GB games to you N64 games to do new and fun stuff. A few games it works with it (both for GB and 64) are: Perfect Dark, Mario Tennis and of course Pokemon.
On Yes! I haven't forgotten the screen for the PSone. Its a nifty little gadget which makes you play you miniture playstation in the car or on the bus. Handy. But it costs £90 for goodness sake!!! Yoy could buy a colour N64 and a controller and mabey a game for that sort of money!!

6: EXPERIENCE. Well, let me think Nintendo have the Nintendo (NES), Virtual Boy (VB), Super Nintendo (SNES)
Gameboy (GB), N64, Game Boy Colour (GBC), Game Boy Advance (GBA) and the Gamecube. From around 1979/1980 to 2001, Nintendo have made a total of 8 consoles. Pretty good eh?

Playstation have the Playstation, PSone (which is practially a Playstation shrunk) and Playstation 2.
3 Consoles. Pathetic.

7: LOOKS. Which do you think looks better? The 64 with its curvy, smooth cover available in a variety of colours, or a grey cuboid?
And what about the controllers? Which do you like more? The N64's Cool, Curvy crontrollers, again available in a variety of colours, or the standard playstation controller, available in grey, silver, or black, which has had no thought whatsoever put into how it looks?
The N64 controller is comfortable for hands, with the standard A,B,L,R and start buttons. But then theres a Z-Button, perfect for a trigger for shoot em' ups. Theres also a C-pad and the best of all, the analouge control stick. Perfect.
Then playstation decided to copy this idea and put two, big, chunky analouge sticks on their crontrollers to go along with pre-school, babyish, Square, Triangle, Circle, and X. Then they plonked a L1 & 2, and a R1 & 2 buttons on the top. TRIPE!!!

Think about all this, graphics, games, loading time, multiplayer, gadgets, experience and looks - the N64 comes out top in all. The only good things about the playstation are the prices - but thats not so good an more ever since the Playstation 2 came out (STILL with only 2 crontroller slots), worth a huge £300!?
If you are thinking about a games console, take the N64. It might be a bit more expensive, buti suggest you spend a few more quid and you'll DEFINITELY be getting you moneys worth cause N64 RULES!!!!!!

Sat 14/04/01 at 18:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I coudn't agree more. Yes, Playstation has far more games, but how many can claim to even match Super Mario 64 for sheer inventiveness, graphics (all round, not just FMV - Which isn't actually a game anyway) and lifespan. I played Driver 2 the other day. Good game, but since when did huge appartment blocks just pop up in front of you? Perfect Dark v Medal Of Honour no contest. I think you catch my drift.
Sat 14/04/01 at 19:13
Regular
N64 versus Playstation:

Here's which one wins each catagory in my opinion:

Quality of Console: N64
Quality of Games: N64
Quantity of games: Playstation
Multiplayer abilities: N64
Originality: N64
Design of Console: N64
Quality of controllers: N64
Best accesories: N64
Quality of graphics: N64
FMV: Playstation
Gameplay: N64

The N64 wins all the important catagories.

N64 doesn't ever use FMV, it uses in game graphics instead so that there aren't any or very little loading times.

And Quantity of games isn't important at all if most of them aren't worth buying!

Sun 15/04/01 at 19:22
Regular
"I like cheese"
bo***cks Edgy.

The N64 doesn't have enough games to have anywhere near as many good ones as the PSX has.

Also, there is hardly any difference in the graphics!! Play MGS (which came out about 3 years ago), GT2, Final Fantasy 8/9 or ISS Pro Evolution 2 for proof.

And the cos of the N64 games is horrendous!! £60 in shops for CBFD!!

I have easy access to an N64, but I play the PSX much more.

But don't get me wrong, the N64 has many excellent games, and it's a top class console, but overall, for the above reasons and more, the PSX wins it FOR ME. That's for me. Not you, but me. That is MY opinion.
In fact, this argument is pointless, as there is no right answer!! It's all opinion. Both consoles have good points and bad points, and we can all agree on one thing:
They both kicked Sega's @rse!!

Also, Sony and the PSX have made the gaming world into what it was today. Without Sony, it gaming wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is today, and you CAN'T deny that.

But anyway, this argument has been done SOOOOO many times!! And you could at least have posted it in an unbiased forum, like the FOG for instance.

Anyway, the wicked PS2 is out now, and I'm off to play games like ZOE, StarFighter, Shadow Of Memories, The Summoner and the AWESOME MGS2 demo.

Sun 15/04/01 at 19:41
Regular
How have sony made the gaming world when it shouldn't of even entered it??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.