GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Email Problems???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/03/09 at 18:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Anyone else experiencing email problems this evening? Tried to access my accounts twice within the last few minutes and the following error was displayed:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'xxxxxxx', Server: 'mail.freeola.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Any suggestions, thanks.
Thu 23/04/09 at 19:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
> Oooh thanks for letting me know! I rarely use Vista and Live Mail
> now. Latest build of Ubunutu does everything much better and the
> Evolution mail client just work. Now Microsoft have pop3 access
> to Hotmail accounts there no need to use Microsoft mail clients.

Just to keep you 'up to speed' as it were, a new build seemed to appear yesterday (Wednesday) - 4.0.424.0 - however, the problem still exists with this build. Disabling part of the Threatsense engine parameters regarding email scans does allow complete and readable email. Not a good solution, but I've let the ESET techs know my opinions:-)

PS It does also appear that Windows Mail/Live Mail doesn't like quite a few anit-virus solutions that employ email scanning.
Wed 22/04/09 at 18:20
"Are you sure?"
ButchML wrote:
> ...goes an angry red colour when something stops working...

Hmmm... *looks in the mirror* ...

Thanks for the info.
Sorry if I appear over keen sometimes!

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 22/04/09 at 17:21
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
It's always nice to be kept on our toes for things like this! However, as a general rule if a server is still down after 25-30 minutes and there is no status message it is worth contacting us via the Support Request system, as you have done it the past, as it is likely we may have missed it.

In case you were wondering, we have a monitor in the Support department constantly 'watching' each server (be it POP, MX, standard or VIP hosting or our own internal ones) that goes an angry red colour when something stops working for more than a couple of seconds. This same information is also displayed to the Systems guys. If we haven't noticed this after something like 15 minutes myself, ncrs and at least 2 of the Systems guys will get e-mailed about the server being non-responsive, this rarely happens :)
Wed 22/04/09 at 16:54
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for that ButchML - fair enough :¬)

My only concern is how long to wait before contacting Freeola.

Normally I'm pretty sure that you are on the case, but sometimes after experiencing the problem for a while and not seeing any update on the status page I'm left wondering if you are unaware or already investigating.

I'm nit-picking of course as things are much better than some other providers, that I won't mention...

I'm just keen to keep you above the rest! ;¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 22/04/09 at 16:43
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> Hmmm... wrote:
>
> As the email service does go missing from time-to-time I
> would have a templated message prepared ("Sorry, no email,
> we're on it!" etc.) so the Service Status page can be
> easily
> and quickly updated with just a couple of 'clicks' :¬)
>
> Sounds simple Hmmm, good idea - do you think it will be
> implemented? :-)
>
>
> *cough*
> I'm not sure... ;¬)

This system is already in place and has been for as long as I remember, and is used for informing our customers of extended downtime or planned maintenance.

We would not utilise this for issues that are resolved by a quick server reboot, resulting in very little downtime such as the POP server today, to which I am assuming you are referring.

Of course, this isn't set it stone, if there is a 'minor' issue that we receive an exceptional number of calls or tickets about, we may use this system at that time. The POP server becoming unavailable for 5-10 minutes today was not one of these occasions hence there being no status message.
Wed 22/04/09 at 15:52
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Hmmm... wrote:
>
> As the email service does go missing from time-to-time I
> would have a templated message prepared ("Sorry, no email,
> we're on it!" etc.) so the Service Status page can be
> easily
> and quickly updated with just a couple of 'clicks' :¬)
>
> Sounds simple Hmmm, good idea - do you think it will be
> implemented? :-)

*cough*
I'm not sure... ;¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 20/04/09 at 22:30
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Oooh thanks for letting me know! I rarely use Vista and Live Mail now. Latest build of Ubunutu does everything much better and the Evolution mail client just work. Now Microsoft have pop3 access to Hotmail accounts there no need to use Microsoft mail clients.
Mon 20/04/09 at 18:40
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
@Eccles,

After what seems like ages, emailing backwards and forwards to ESET tech support about the email problem with NOD32 v4 - the email protection client - I have finally got the following response today:

"We are expecting a new build hopefully this week which will fix some issues with some e-mail clients.
The developers are working on a number fixes for various issues which each require testing before being released."

Fair enough, but what staggers me is, as I pointed out to them, their own support forums are awash with email problems and so too, are web forums. Why not admit the problem in the first place. It would have saved a lot of 'messing' about. Any way Eccles, our problem may be solved soon:-)
Sun 29/03/09 at 18:36
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
> Thanks. Will give that a try although the accounts I'm using are
> IMAP so the slider setting might not effect that. There is a
> support forum accessible through the support section of Esets
> site, it has various posts regarding V4 problems and Eset are
> apparently working on a fix, but there's no word on when that is
> due.

@Eccles, hang fire on last post - emails after 'slider' change still seem to be arriving in 'bits'. Had a fiddle with IE7 settings under Vista this pm and things seem to have improved - ie Protected Mode seems to be a problem. Keep you posted:-)
Sat 28/03/09 at 21:15
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
> Thanks. Will give that a try although the accounts I'm using are
> IMAP so the slider setting might not effect that. There is a
> support forum accessible through the support section of Esets
> site, it has various posts regarding V4 problems and Eset are
> apparently working on a fix, but there's no word on when that is
> due.

Just received an email with images etc as per normal, maybe, just maybe the 'slider' is working.

I viewed the forum with posts for v4, but nothing was relevant.

Just plugged in old PC, with NOD32 v2.7 fully licenced, for my son to use and attempted to uninstall it ready to upgrade to v3 or 4. No way would it uninstall!

Sorted it now but what a nightmare:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.