GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Daily Game Chat Thread Thingy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/10/16 at 14:14
"possibly impossible"
I'm sure we had one of these before, but as we've got nowhere else on the forums for general game chat, here it is....

Page:
Fri 26/05/17 at 14:52
"possibly impossible"

dav2612 wrote:
Quite tempted by the Xbox Game Pass but between Games with Gold and EA Access I already have more games than I can possibly play. And that's before I factor in other consoles. Maybe one day.

I'm in the same boat. I tried the preview trial a while back, it's good but just either no time or I've already got/played the good games.
Fri 26/05/17 at 09:21
Regular
"And in last place.."
Quite tempted by the Xbox Game Pass but between Games with Gold and EA Access I already have more games than I can possibly play. And that's before I factor in other consoles. Maybe one day.
Mon 22/05/17 at 22:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."

pb wrote:
Anyone?

Not for me pb ... thanks anyway. Just trying to get my head around Dead Effect 2 ... not really me, but is this a 'lame' game? It is at the moment ...
Mon 22/05/17 at 15:53
Regular
"And in last place.."

pb wrote:
Anyone?

I would if it was for a different platform. My laptop can barely cope with being turned on these days.
Fri 19/05/17 at 14:20
"possibly impossible"

pb wrote:
I have a spare season pass for The Walking Dead A New Frontier on PC if any of you regulars want it.

Anyone?
Thu 18/05/17 at 22:24
"possibly impossible"
I have a spare season pass for The Walking Dead A New Frontier on PC if any of you regulars want it.
Sat 13/05/17 at 22:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Oh I so totally agree ...

Just completed Bulletstorm:Full Clip Edition and received 'Overkill Mode' as a result ... this is so cool ... there has got to be Bulletstorm 3 (for the PC) :¬D

Steam purchase will be happening shortly
Sat 13/05/17 at 13:17
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

DL wrote:
Nice :¬)

I can feel yet another Steam investment brewing!

I'd say so!

You must remember the days when you'd start a game following a particular skill tree, then abandon that character early on and start again so that you could follow an entirely different path. Used to be quite common when games dev's could be bothered to make the power up's and level up's actually matter.

"False-started" twice before I finally found a happy route. Not because the other two wouldn't work, but because I revealed a far more "fun" option that suited my way of playing.

That's quality right there...
Sat 13/05/17 at 13:10
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice :¬)

I can feel yet another Steam investment brewing!
Sat 13/05/17 at 09:48
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

DL wrote:
I've been waiting for your views chas :¬)

It is so, so close to being System Shock for a new generation of gamers, and there are still enough "common" elements with the original Prey game that it still feels right.

Full 360 degree combat in weightless environments, for starters, is a nice touch. But there's a few things in particular that just blew me away. The game physics are absolutely spot on (some of the best I've seen), the sheer, often overwhelming, variety of ways to approach any obstacle, the visuals (of course!), and the fact that this is a fully modelled environment in every possible respect; the space station that this plays out on in fully mapped and constructed inside AND OUT!.

There are various bits where you have to go space walking to achieve a mission or reach a new area, and you can actually travel around the outside fully, full 360, just goggling at the intense detail. It's breathtaking.

On ways to attack an obstacle, here's an example.

There was a room, locked with a key card, barred windows on two sides. I could see a nanomod (the creepy eye injection power ups), some food and ammo stacked on a desk, and another door leading to another area. There was also a computer terminal with valuable info on it. I wanted in, but had no key card. So I could:

a) Find the key card (probably on a dead body somewhere in the lobby)
b) Break a window, use my Morph power to change into something small and roll between the bars (this would require me finding a box to stand on; coffee cups can't jump after all...)
c) break a window, and use my toy crossbow to fire a nerf dart at the computer screen to unlock the door (a remote switch was showing on the screen)
d) Break a window further round, and use my nerf dart to hit the switch on the other side of the door.
e) Find a maintenance access tunnel (a lot of the areas have these, so always worth a look; normally requires a detour though)
f)... well you get the idea.

The whole game is like this, and the further you go, the more options become available to you. So much of it is a case of "If I did that, I could do this..." or "If I had that, I could do it this way". The way Arkane have meshed all the elements together is phenomenal, and, rather cleverly, the more potent you become, the more difficult the game gets. I say "cleverly" because it isn't simply bigger nastier enemies, or "I've levelled up so everything else has too", it's that the more alien mods you apply to yourself, the more obvious you are to the aliens; they track you, attack in bulk and generally try harder to take you down. Plus, the more alien DNA you have, the more likely your own turrets and security systems are to see you as a target.

There's a ton of other stuff that I could mention, but most of it would be spoilers to one extent or another. Just play it, see for yourself.

Post edited by chasfh on 13/05/2017 at 09:53.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.