GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"AMD v INTEL"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/04/04 at 14:20
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
many people have there opinions about this subject, a 2.0ghz amd is better than a 2.6ghz intel p4 because of clocking speeds blah blah etc.

personally i have a AMD but what do you think is better value or better quality?
Sun 18/04/04 at 14:20
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
many people have there opinions about this subject, a 2.0ghz amd is better than a 2.6ghz intel p4 because of clocking speeds blah blah etc.

personally i have a AMD but what do you think is better value or better quality?
Sun 18/04/04 at 14:31
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Its not really better because of clocking speeds as its a lower clock rate. Personnally I have gone with AMD for the last few computers as the CPUs are cheaper. Intel are getting cheaper now which is a good thing. A XP2800 Barton runs at just under 2.1 Ghz but is in the same league as a 2.8 Ghz P4.

Looking at benchmarking tests on the internet its clear to see that both the P4 and AMD have there own advantages. One is quicker at doing a certain task and the other does something else better. MP3 and Video encoding is tended to be quicker on the P4 while AMD produces better results in the majority of games.

One advantage of the P4 is the Hyper threading technology which really does help in multi-tasking especially comparing a P4 with hyper threading to a P4 without.

Looking at a XP3200 and a P4 3.2 Ghz with HT there is only about £40 difference which isnt that much any more. But a P4 3.2 EE is 3 times the amount of the normal P4 3.2 Ghz with HT and a good £100 more than a similar speced Athlon 64Bit CPU.
Sun 18/04/04 at 14:59
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Like has just been said. Intel P4s are better for work stations, be it big calculations like in MP3 coding and decoding, etc. AMDs are best for games no matter which way you look at it. There must be a reason why PCGamers "TAG" Clan chose to use Athlon FX51s instead of the P4 Extreme Edition.

If you are a hardcore PC User or gamer, then you should use AMDs. There is a hell of a lot more overclocking potential, especially in the barton core CPUs. Personally, im only limited by my PCI Devices and Motherboard, so cant kick it past 2300mhz, faster than the 3200+. So If I can get my 2800+ Faster than a 3200+, imagine, on a good mobo, what you can achieve.

The only thing to bear in mind, is that AMDs run hotter. They will instantly burn out without a heatsink attached, whereas P4s dont as quickly I believe, all to do with the fact P4s use heatspreaders, and AMDs just have an open core. Although the new Athlon 64s have heatspreaders, so that "advantage" on P4s is now gone really.

I have used all manner of CPUs. When I do a quote, people sometimes ask for Pentium 4s, because they here all these fancy words like "HT/Hyper Threading Technology", which according to PCFormat and PCGamer makes hardly any difference compared with an AMD as apposed to a P4 without it. I aint complaining, cos it means i get more as I can rip em off another £20 or so on the CPU without them really realising. Thats a point as well. P4s are a lot more expensive.

Why buy a 2.8ghz P4, when you can buy a 2800+ Barton and run it at around 2400mhz on a decent Mobo, better than any AMD Socket A on the market and kicking the ass of a 3.2ghz P4 while you are at it?
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:09
Regular
"Digging!"
danieldone wrote:

> I have used all manner of CPUs. When I do a quote, people sometimes
> ask for Pentium 4s, because they here all these fancy words like
> "HT/Hyper Threading Technology", which according to
> PCFormat and PCGamer makes hardly any difference compared with an AMD
> as apposed to a P4 without it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/images/thg_video_5_p4_ht.zip

Judge for yourself whether Hypertheading is any good from this video.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:11
"I love yo... lamp."
You can still overclock P4s Daniel. Some will do over 4 GHz.

The best chip around at the moment, well best sanely priced chip is the Athlon 64.

But Athlon XPs versus P4s, well it depends on what you do. P4s encode video and audio quite a bit faster, but I don't really do either. What I do though, is run Find A Drug, and like nearly all distributed computing projects, it is FPU intensive, where the AMDs excel.

I went AMD this time because they were cheaper and because I could get a better overclock due to the unlocked multipliers, but that benefit has gone now.

Next time round, who knows?

Oh and the heatspreader isn't the reason for the Intel chips running cooler. The lower voltage and different internal architecture is the reason for that. Because in reality, you would be better off with the heatsink directly on the core.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:24
Regular
"Nobody Home"
well, thanks for clearing up my idiocies.

Granted P4s can do that 5ghz as on Toms Hardware, but thats Liquid Nitrogren. Not many people will have a weird set up like that. and be pooring barrels off the stuff on it every few minutes, lol.

Ok then. My point is that AMD is best for Gamers and Standard Home Users who aint loaded with cash. And about HT, when setting up a system I aint noticed any difference to the XPs, and PCG and PCF doesn't seem to rate it, so I believe what i am told.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:27
Regular
"Nobody Home"
taka-Q wrote:

> http://www.tomshardware.com/images/thg_video_5_p4_ht.zip
>
> Judge for yourself whether Hypertheading is any good from this video.

Ummm 16mb. I will later in the week, thanks. I should have my broadband soon enough.
Sun 18/04/04 at 20:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I prefer AMD, because you get more bang for your buck, and they're more fun. Overclocking is difficult by P4s because Intel refuse to make money by letting people kill their chips.
Mon 19/04/04 at 00:09
Regular
I am a fan of both chips, I have just upgraded my P4 2.8 rig with an athlon 64 rig and am impressed, the only problem is that on the motherboard i have i cannot overclock the chip to much because there is no way i can find of locking the fsb of the PCI and AGP bus's, I tried clocking it but anything over a 220mhz (cpu at 2.2ghz) The Serail ATA drives start to not work, im sure i can push more from the chip though as that 200mhz increase is not a problem and i notice no differance in heat, shame i chose the ABIT KV8-MAX3 mtoehrboard i suppose :(

Colin
Mon 19/04/04 at 01:09
"I love yo... lamp."
Research getting a controller card to run the hard drive. You'd be able to push the FSB higher that way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.