GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need to know how 2 progra, games, can anyone help?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/04/04 at 21:15
Regular
"You have a choice"
Me and some of my friends are creating a game, but our programming knowledge is virtually non-existent. If you know what the best programming language to use is, or know a program that might help, could you leave your thoughts here or e-mail me at: [email protected] Thanks.
Mon 12/04/04 at 18:13
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> No. It is a good language, though not so hot for games. The best high
> level language for beginning with is Ada. It's use is growing for
> first and second year uni teaching.

Ada is pretty exclusively for safety-critical software only. If you're good at Ada, you work in the defence industry and nowhere else. Ada is too awkward to work with and unsupported to be of any use in mainstream software development.

To the original poster, C and C++ is what games are written in, although the level of time and difficulty involved is much greater than anything you've ever done to date. If you're a bunch of 14 year-olds with crazy ideas, drop it. You will sooner or later.

If you want to persist though, grab a book about C++ or Java or find an online tutorial. If you need help doing that, you've already lost.
Tue 20/04/04 at 17:42
Regular
"You have a choice"
lol. well, 14 is more or less right. We've planned much of the game and we've ordered the darkBASIC book. I looked on the website, it's a much simpler language to learn than C or C++, but it can only create games for PC. It looks gd though.
Tue 20/04/04 at 23:18
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
If your thinking your going to be able to create amazing games within hours then your going to have your hopes crushed pretty quickly.

DarkBasic looks pretty good but according to one review you need other tools to create animation, 3D models etc.

If your serious in getting into programming than something like C, C++ or Java would be a good place to start. The start with simple things rather than going into how a game works as if you dont understand principles in programming then your not going to get anywhere.
Wed 21/04/04 at 00:05
Regular
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
http://www.gamedev.net/
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/

This is where to start. Don't be put off by the sheer amout of information here, just work your way through, and you'll start to pick it up.

I've been at uni 3 years and cant do half of the stuff on here :D
Wed 21/04/04 at 02:47
"I love yo... lamp."
Miserableman wrote:
> Ada is pretty exclusively for safety-critical software only. If
> you're good at Ada, you work in the defence industry and nowhere
> else. Ada is too awkward to work with and unsupported to be of any
> use in mainstream software development.
>
> To the original poster, C and C++ is what games are written in,
> although the level of time and difficulty involved is much greater
> than anything you've ever done to date. If you're a bunch of 14
> year-olds with crazy ideas, drop it. You will sooner or later.
>
> If you want to persist though, grab a book about C++ or Java or find
> an online tutorial. If you need help doing that, you've already lost.

Agreed, of no use for programming games or anything like that, but as high level languages go, it is one of the best to learn on. I do work in the defence industy, albeit the actual flying side, not the missile guidance software side.

There is a reason it is so widely used for teaching, and that is that the very natural syntax makes it easy to understand the concepts. Once you understand that, the rest is just memorising the syntax of a language. And it always helps the old motivation if you can get something up and running fairly quickly.

That is the main reason I recommended Dark Basic, simple and it will help them to do something. Once you develop some sort of skill at programming they would be able to move on to something else, a bit harder. I actually never recommended they start learning Ada, just that it was probably the best high level language to start learning, rather than say Java.
Wed 21/04/04 at 04:59
Regular
TO be honest, if you were to make porgramming a career, it would be better to start off not attaching to one language in particular - instead go for generic pseudo code, which helps develop the core knowledge needed for learning multiple languages quickly.
Wed 21/04/04 at 18:43
Regular
"You have a choice"
Ye. we're getting the dark basic book, we think we can learn that allbeit it will take a long time. Once we have got some decent experience in that, and probably have a look at Ada as well, we're gonna start looking at C and then onto C++. I had a look at darkbasic.com and thats got all the stuff i could eva hope for with all the graphics and moddelling software!!
Wed 21/04/04 at 19:18
Regular
"Teal'c"
Get Blitz Basic.
Fri 23/04/04 at 16:46
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> There is a reason it is so widely used for teaching, and that is that
> the very natural syntax makes it easy to understand the concepts.
> Once you understand that, the rest is just memorising the syntax of a
> language. And it always helps the old motivation if you can get
> something up and running fairly quickly.

My overriding memory of programming in Ada is the sheer frustration of working with strings or arrays, because of strict bounds-checking. The syntax derives from Pascal, which contains more words than the more symbolic C++/Java, but puts you at a disadvantage if you want to work in more mainstream languages in the future.

> I actually never recommended they start learning Ada, just that
> it was probably the best high level language to start learning,
> rather than say Java.

Java wins over Ada simply because its documentation is the best of any language, and the whole thing is spiked to make you program properly without blocking your progress the whole time.

Although apparantly you can earn a fortune in the defense/aviation industries if you're really good at Ada.
Sat 24/04/04 at 12:50
Regular
Java is just so much more beginner and developer friendly that Ada, with ada you have to include compulsory pre and post conditions in order for the compile to be successful,in addition to including asserts and derives, even though they have nothing to do with the bare operation of the code.

For someone who wants to see results fast (and without resorting to the visual packages), Java is the best. And what Miserableman said, the docs are great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.