GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need to know how 2 progra, games, can anyone help?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/04/04 at 21:15
Regular
"You have a choice"
Me and some of my friends are creating a game, but our programming knowledge is virtually non-existent. If you know what the best programming language to use is, or know a program that might help, could you leave your thoughts here or e-mail me at: [email protected] Thanks.
Mon 26/04/04 at 22:00
Regular
"bing bang bong"
gamezfreak wrote:
> #include
> #include
>
> main() {
> printf("Hello, press enter to program game");
> getche();
> program(awesomegame);
> return awesomegame;
> }

Doesn't compile :O[[[
Sun 25/04/04 at 00:34
Regular
Something weird happened the other day; I finished typing out an essay, and after checking, realised on several occasions that I used semi colons instead of commas. Weird.
Sat 24/04/04 at 23:37
Regular
#include
#include

main() {
printf("Hello, press enter to program game");
getche();
program(awesomegame);
return awesomegame;
}
Sat 24/04/04 at 21:45
Regular
Well it is *the* language used for the defence industry, so I guess security and stablity has to be laboriously high.
Sat 24/04/04 at 21:42
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Icaruss wrote:
> Nope, it's SPARKada, a subset of ada. THe pre/post conditions aren't
> necessary in ada I know, but apparently for more robust code SPARK
> makes this compulsory.

Ye gods...

Do they force you to program it blindfolded, underwater, and using a keyboard with all the letters rearranged as well?
Sat 24/04/04 at 21:40
Regular
Nope, it's SPARKada, a subset of ada. THe pre/post conditions aren't necessary in ada I know, but apparently for more robust code SPARK makes this compulsory.
Sat 24/04/04 at 21:38
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Icaruss wrote:
> Java is just so much more beginner and developer friendly that Ada,
> with ada you have to include compulsory pre and post conditions in
> order for the compile to be successful,in addition to including
> asserts and derives, even though they have nothing to do with the
> bare operation of the code.

While I don't disagree with the essence of your post, I don't think you're thinking of Ada, as it has none of the above. Are you confusing it with PROLOG/Haskell/Lisp?
Sat 24/04/04 at 12:50
Regular
Java is just so much more beginner and developer friendly that Ada, with ada you have to include compulsory pre and post conditions in order for the compile to be successful,in addition to including asserts and derives, even though they have nothing to do with the bare operation of the code.

For someone who wants to see results fast (and without resorting to the visual packages), Java is the best. And what Miserableman said, the docs are great.
Fri 23/04/04 at 16:46
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> There is a reason it is so widely used for teaching, and that is that
> the very natural syntax makes it easy to understand the concepts.
> Once you understand that, the rest is just memorising the syntax of a
> language. And it always helps the old motivation if you can get
> something up and running fairly quickly.

My overriding memory of programming in Ada is the sheer frustration of working with strings or arrays, because of strict bounds-checking. The syntax derives from Pascal, which contains more words than the more symbolic C++/Java, but puts you at a disadvantage if you want to work in more mainstream languages in the future.

> I actually never recommended they start learning Ada, just that
> it was probably the best high level language to start learning,
> rather than say Java.

Java wins over Ada simply because its documentation is the best of any language, and the whole thing is spiked to make you program properly without blocking your progress the whole time.

Although apparantly you can earn a fortune in the defense/aviation industries if you're really good at Ada.
Wed 21/04/04 at 19:18
Regular
"Teal'c"
Get Blitz Basic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.