GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ARCADE REVIVAL!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/04/01 at 01:42
Regular
Console gaming. I'm pretty fed up with console gaming - it's so restrictive! If you ask me the the present and the future of truly sublime video gaming is down at your local arcade. But wait, what's all this about Sega, Namco and Capcom - supposedly pulling out of the coin 'op expedition? I sincerely hope that people wake up from their single player role playing games, from their resident evil nightmare sessions and get yourself and a few mates down to that polygon parlour and experience the best games - first hand.

I can't even imagine what it would be like without these great machines, the 5minute break between a round of bowling when there's nothing better to do than make your way promptly to the Scud Race, Daytona or Sega Rally 2 departments! Where would we go? Surely those money grabbing 10p game things can't be the future? No of course not.

Competitions should be held at the arcade, the arcades should have a new name, something exciting to reflect the fun that you can honestly have there! Consoles are great yes, but the increase in popularity of the home console, of the PlayStation or PS2 or whatever you have, is only helping to deter the masses from the neon lights, from the 'Game Over, yeaaahhhhh' voice from Sega Rally, and it's causing gaming to shy away into people's homes - and it's becoming, dare I say 'geeky'!? In Japan they've got the idea. Every weekend people gather to the latest gaming exhibition, to try out the new games - that come out at the arcades first, but later appear on the games consoles - as that's where the money is made.

I just think there should be a national uplift, a revamp, no - a major overhaul! Bring in the Sega Marine Fishing games, get some new rallying games in and let us be playing Crazy Taxi 2 before it's on Dreamcast! Ok so SR2 is great fun, but who really wants to be playing House of the Dead still (yeah it's fun, but come on - surely HOTD2 should be there!), and Tekken 1 is well and truly out of date now!

So let's quit the fighting, go to your arcade machines - go now before they're gone forever. Feel every bump and turn on the rally sims - don't pretend you can with a 'rumble featuring' racing wheel for your home console. It's not the same.

I want to be able to forsee the future of the arcades having online competitions, with large crowds of excited people gathering round to cheer on the local games master as he or she takes on 'Vladmir' from Russia at Virtua Tennis - perhaps even with Real/Virtual racquets? I want to be able to imagine Daytona USA online - actually online, with people queing up to experience time lag free next generation classic racing against people from the USA! There should even be a little commemorative ChuChu Rocket online machine, where kids who never really 'got' gaming could play against people on the moon perhaps! After all ChuChu Rocket was the first 'console' online game!

Anyway, that may never happen.

Just take it from me: - nothing beats a good old half an hour session down at the Sega Raly arcade! It may cost you anywhere up to £30 depending on your skill level, or lack of it, but for me, if you can't partake in actual 'real' rallying, then you should experience the next best thing! I prefer arcades to home games consoles despite the cost - the thrill of beating 'up to 4 players' of which only to machines are connected, combined with the jolting racing seat, that tries to simulate the real thing (and does a fair job at it to!).

Cheers,

Dan2K1

Fri 13/04/01 at 19:23
Dan2K1 wrote:
> Yeah, but you can see how getting closer to the real thing is better
> than sitting in front of the TV with your 'rumble steering wheel'
> 'with paddels'!

Power is nothing without control.

Closer to the real thing? with a chunk of plastic Shaped like a car? you call that closer? your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

Explain that 'power is nothing without control' reverting to the arcade, how does that relate to it?
Fri 13/04/01 at 19:16
Yeah, but you can see how getting closer to the real thing is better than sitting in front of the TV with your 'rumble steering wheel' 'with paddels'!

Power is nothing without control.
Fri 13/04/01 at 17:15
Restricted consoles?
If anything is restricted i think it would be the arcade!!
In the arcade you have to pay separatly everytime! and you only get one measly game!
recognise this? "game over, continue? 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1"
"insert more money"
£1 for ONE play!

(i reviewed red alert 2, check it out!)
Fri 13/04/01 at 17:14
I have to say, Hang On GP was pretty good - playing Shenmue's version isn't quite as exciting, but there you go!

18Wheeler in Alton Towers is great!
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:34
Italy was great - Wilma? Who are you? Arcade titles....
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:12
hope you had a good time!!!
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:12
arent you the self pro claimed lover of the Dremcast and here you are saying you would prefer to play these games on the arcade.uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm very strange,can i ask you one simple question.Do u own these arcade title on the DC
Thu 12/04/01 at 19:08
Depends how good you are really. In Italy - in Sienna I think (Tuscany), there was this huge arcade - looked absolutely brilliant, and of course accompanied by the classic dodgem/bumper car track (I think*). Virtua Tennis was only something like 10p!

Great stuff, and the Pizza was nice. Oh - and Fruit machines are not great fun in my view!
Thu 12/04/01 at 18:29
Regular
I don't know whether it's the same anywhere else but in Cardiffs 'Arena One' and 'UCI Cinemas' the arcade games are bloody expensive!

If you're not very good at games you've never played before, then £1 for 36 seconds on an arcade racing game is a total rip-off!

If I wanted tohave a go on 25 machines, I'd've spent £25! And that's without multiplayer!

I'd rather spend £25 on a new game than on 25 30 second games in an arcade! At least then I could play the game I just bought over and over as many times as I like!
Thu 12/04/01 at 18:08
The Arcades in Shenmue are pretty impressive if you ask me, not that you did. I like that boxing one....

Dan

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.