GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"USB Modems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/04/04 at 22:55
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I have been told that USB Broadband Modems are not very good. Is this true? Would I be better off with a router?

If I used USB on a 512kb/s connection, what sort of Pings should I expect playing on a UK Server?

I am getting my broadband from Force9.
Sun 18/04/04 at 14:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Using Ethernet does provide better pings than using USB. The difference may only be as little as 1ms or maybe upto 5ms depending on your USB modem.

In UT2004 I have got 10ms before and have had 30ms on some game servers and there is no difference. Ping will always depend on where the server is or if your downloading at the same time. Ping on broadband could easily go up to 500ms or more, as if your using all the bandwidth to download a file and try pinging a Austrialian site then your going to get a high ping.
Sun 18/04/04 at 15:04
Regular
"Nobody Home"
well, obviously downloading and playing games is a bit dumb. I know you can do it on broadband and still have pings of <100, but I wudn't do it, cos I would want the best speed i can.

I am gonna get a proper job (as apposed to building a PC now and again) soon and then buy myself a decent Wireless ADSL Router.
Sun 18/04/04 at 15:25
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
danieldone wrote:
> Well, i have 8 USB2.0 Ports, so no biggy.

Why in gods name do you have so many ports? I have *checks* 4.
Sun 18/04/04 at 15:26
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
erm i got 6 and i only use ... 3
Sun 18/04/04 at 15:56
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
You can easliy fill 6 of them...

Webcam
Mouse
Game controller
Printer
Scanner
Modem

Then just have 2 for digital cameras etc.
Sun 18/04/04 at 16:33
Regular
"Nobody Home"
-Camera
-MP3 Player
-Logitech MX510 Mouse
-Webcam
-Phone Data Cable
-Printer
-Scanner
-Broadband Modem (shortly)

Answer your question? Really, I need more :P
Sun 18/04/04 at 16:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I only need the two - bluetooth hub for mouse and keyboard, and a USB cardreader for my memorysticks. Printers are on a network and scanners are on another computer. Webcams and MP3 players connect via firewire :-)
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:02
Regular
"Nobody Home"
actually, sorry, Data Cable is in Serial Port and my Wireless Adapter is in a USB.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:21
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I have 4 ports, but could have 6 or 8 cant remember which. I have the 2 on the back of the motherboard and then two on top of the case which are hidden and are part of the case. Have the back two filled with a ADSL modem and the printer/scanner all in one. And then the top USB ports are excellent for attaching my digital camera. Have got a top firewire port as well but as the case is a massive full tower Xaser 3 one the lead cant reach the motherboard, so I have had to use the back firewire ports for my digital camcorder.
Sun 18/04/04 at 17:24
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
phi11ip wrote:
> You can easliy fill 6 of them...
>
> Mouse

I use the PS2 port like everyone else...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.