GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"USB Modems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/04/04 at 22:55
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I have been told that USB Broadband Modems are not very good. Is this true? Would I be better off with a router?

If I used USB on a 512kb/s connection, what sort of Pings should I expect playing on a UK Server?

I am getting my broadband from Force9.
Thu 08/04/04 at 22:55
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I have been told that USB Broadband Modems are not very good. Is this true? Would I be better off with a router?

If I used USB on a 512kb/s connection, what sort of Pings should I expect playing on a UK Server?

I am getting my broadband from Force9.
Thu 08/04/04 at 22:58
Regular
All depends who the host is and how your connection is. I had USB but have swapped to Ethernet and I much prefer Ethernet.

I have upgraded to 1mb Broadband which will be activated next Wednesday which should make playing online quite a bit smoother from my original 576k.

I would definitley go Ethernet though.
Thu 08/04/04 at 23:10
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
There's no real difference between USB and ethernet when using a modem due to the small speeds involved.

And it doesn't matter how fast your connection is, you could still have super high pings.

I had NTL 128kb broadband and I got pings as low as 18MS, and I still do on the 150kb package. Basically because it's digital and fibre optic it's a hell of a lot faster than a modem. I doubt it's possible to get better pings on the net of more than 15.
Sun 11/04/04 at 15:43
Regular
"Nobody Home"
You mean less than 15ms :D ;)

Yeah, I didn't think it would make too much difference, only a few thousands of a second. I play with a ping on 56k of 300ms, and sometimes I get 180ms and that is Godlike to me. I reckon a crap ping on 512 would be around 150 and a good one 15, as you said. A low ping is fine :D I decided I dont care about the number.
Mon 12/04/04 at 13:46
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
danieldone wrote:
> You mean less than 15ms :D ;)
>
> Yeah, I didn't think it would make too much difference, only a few
> thousands of a second. I play with a ping on 56k of 300ms, and
> sometimes I get 180ms and that is Godlike to me. I reckon a crap ping
> on 512 would be around 150 and a good one 15, as you said. A low ping
> is fine :D I decided I dont care about the number.
a stable ping is better than an ultra low ping that spikes, remember that
Mon 12/04/04 at 15:45
"I love yo... lamp."
I get pings of 26ms on BT broadband, just to let you know.
Mon 12/04/04 at 23:05
Regular
"Nobody Home"
well, Force9 bypasses BT servers and goes straight into Core Servers, so it'll be better :D (PS. I dunno wtf I just said, I was just told it)
Tue 13/04/04 at 13:22
Regular
"\\"
There is no difference between USB amd Ethernet connection speed wise, however, Ethernet would be recommended to leave mroe USB slots.
Tue 13/04/04 at 14:21
Regular
mine seems to run a lot smoother on ethernet. my connection used to drop loads on usb. since i switched to ethernet it has been really reliable and seems a bit quicker (but that might just be me)
Tue 13/04/04 at 19:50
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Well, i have 8 USB2.0 Ports, so no biggy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.