GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Conker Criticisms"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/04/01 at 22:59
Regular
I have had this game for a week give or take a day and I find the criticisms of this, what I would call 'masterpiece', totally incomprehensible. I just don't understand. People moan about the length. And to that I say....WHAT?!?!?! The Game took me just under 17 hours to complete, and although I almost took that long on Click Clock Wood (Banjo-Kazooie) at my first attempt, I don't feel in the slightest bit 'ripped-off'.

You may not have noticed that when you walk over the dandilions by where you have lead the dog-fish into the wall that all the little bits from the foliage break-off and float in the air, you may also not have noticed that when you leave Conker motionless in the nightclub he dances as oppose to the juggling or drinking that he might anywhere else.

The attention to detail in this game is amazing, and after playing this game through at a slower-than usual pace I was able to enjoy it thoroughly and have no regrets what so ever for getting it. In my view, somthing that shows such creativity and care should be no less that £50 and I don't think that this is anyless of a game than Banjo-Kazooie or even Mario 64. You can have all the graphics you want, and don't get me wrong Conker looks great, but when you have the sheer incomparable gameplay and creativity that this game offers you don't even think about graphics.

Another complaint is the language and rude-ness, this is purely the theme of the game, it is aimed at older viewers and being almost 18, for me it hits the mark. It may not have the arch-typical storyline of obtaining and relocating a nuclear nitrogen based bomb or the like, and frankly I am sick of that sort of thing, but for what it is, which is a damn site better than almost 100% of games out there it is...Marvellous.

The game, through its diversity of crude and somewhat to-taste humor goes through many aspects of life, maybe not to the detail of Shenmue but it vaguely covers war, loss, love, hate, forgiveness, trust, patience. These may all be completely turned around to be seen as humorous, but to say that Rare have copped-out with the gameplay side of things is just plain lunacy.

Personally I can't get over what a great game it is, it is fun, fast-paced and very thorough. Now don't get me wrong, those of you who have had the pleasure of playing this game will know that the end leaves Conker open for a sequel, which I am VERY much looking forward to, but in the sense of the word 'thourough' that I am talking about, I mean there are no parts that have you thinking how? or why?...or that lead you to mis-understand and of the storylines.

I laughed all the way through the game, the voices, the animations, cut-scenes and gameplay had me on the edge of my seat for the 17-hour duration I played the game. I would reccomend this game to Anyone 16+ you will love it.

The Game
Wed 11/04/01 at 09:05
Regular
"not dead"
Mind you, it's lack of length has lead to my decision not to buy it.

My brother has it, and I'll be able to get plenty from it when I borrow it for a week or two. :-)

I think there are many reasons for it's shortness, one of them has to be that this game has been in production for so long, then had a complete makeover. This must have cost a bit, so Rare had to get it out now, or there wouldn't be the audience on the N64 to buy it.

Also I see it as the kind of game to test the waters to see if this type of game can be successful on a Nintendo console.
Tue 10/04/01 at 23:41
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Yeah, my point exactly and think about all the hard work and coding that went into that game! There is nothing short of the mark where the game is concerned. And plus you have to remember that it is Conker's Bad Fur DAY, I suppose it would kind of defeat the object if you needed 25+ hours to complete it, but that is another arguement. Where as Banjo had about 10 tasks in each level to comply with the number of 'jiggy's' Conker has no more than 4 tasks in each of the sections plus one or two bosses.

Game development for the N64 is reputed to be quite hard and for any company to pull this off is amazing. I just can't imagine how Conker will fare on the 'easy-to-develop-for' Gamecube if this is what the Twycross treasures can produce on the N64

The Game

I only live about 25 miles from Rare HQ, I might go and pay them a visit and see if I can have a look at that special version of Conker...

Hmmmm...what are the chances of a 'yes'...I'll give you 1000/1....

Tue 10/04/01 at 23:31
"High polygon count"
I have to agree with you. I don't own an N64 or the game, but I know exactly what you mean.

People have complained about the length of some of my favourite games on the PS1 and PS2 - MGS, Dino Crisis, ZOE, and others.

At the end of the day, if you've enjoyed the game, who cares? That's what the game is there for - to enjoy. If you think a game is good, you will play it more often and for longer. Both of these factors - surprisingly enough - have a significant effect on the amount of time it takes to complete a game.

Dino Crisis 2 took me one overnight session to complete. Yes, it seemed short, but it was highly enjoyable. If I'd played 'differently' - i.e. an hour or so at a time - it would have lasted me at least a week, maybe two; but because I enjoyed it so much, I couldn't leave it alone, and blasted through it.

If you think about it, very few games with any kind of story actually give you more than around a day's continuous gameplay from beginning to end. Sure, something like an FPS or a Tomb Raider game may keep you entertained for weeks, but they're very clever in how they do that. Once you know the levels and figure out 'attack patterns' you can go through them all in a very quick time.
Tue 10/04/01 at 23:19
Conker has one fault. It bleeps out realy harsh words like C F and some times S. But this adds to the comady side (like the German PROF, that's better with the BLEEP)
"Uzi Lover"
What is the actual style of in-game gameplay?

Does it take the same form of Banjo and Donkey Kong?
Regular
17 hours?

£50?

£3-ish per hour of play first time round?

Is this game on playstation?!

That's almost like me having to work my arm off in the kitchen where I earn minimum wage for 1 hour for every single hour I'm playing the game before I complete it...
Ouch
Tue 10/04/01 at 22:59
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I have had this game for a week give or take a day and I find the criticisms of this, what I would call 'masterpiece', totally incomprehensible. I just don't understand. People moan about the length. And to that I say....WHAT?!?!?! The Game took me just under 17 hours to complete, and although I almost took that long on Click Clock Wood (Banjo-Kazooie) at my first attempt, I don't feel in the slightest bit 'ripped-off'.

You may not have noticed that when you walk over the dandilions by where you have lead the dog-fish into the wall that all the little bits from the foliage break-off and float in the air, you may also not have noticed that when you leave Conker motionless in the nightclub he dances as oppose to the juggling or drinking that he might anywhere else.

The attention to detail in this game is amazing, and after playing this game through at a slower-than usual pace I was able to enjoy it thoroughly and have no regrets what so ever for getting it. In my view, somthing that shows such creativity and care should be no less that £50 and I don't think that this is anyless of a game than Banjo-Kazooie or even Mario 64. You can have all the graphics you want, and don't get me wrong Conker looks great, but when you have the sheer incomparable gameplay and creativity that this game offers you don't even think about graphics.

Another complaint is the language and rude-ness, this is purely the theme of the game, it is aimed at older viewers and being almost 18, for me it hits the mark. It may not have the arch-typical storyline of obtaining and relocating a nuclear nitrogen based bomb or the like, and frankly I am sick of that sort of thing, but for what it is, which is a damn site better than almost 100% of games out there it is...Marvellous.

The game, through its diversity of crude and somewhat to-taste humor goes through many aspects of life, maybe not to the detail of Shenmue but it vaguely covers war, loss, love, hate, forgiveness, trust, patience. These may all be completely turned around to be seen as humorous, but to say that Rare have copped-out with the gameplay side of things is just plain lunacy.

Personally I can't get over what a great game it is, it is fun, fast-paced and very thorough. Now don't get me wrong, those of you who have had the pleasure of playing this game will know that the end leaves Conker open for a sequel, which I am VERY much looking forward to, but in the sense of the word 'thourough' that I am talking about, I mean there are no parts that have you thinking how? or why?...or that lead you to mis-understand and of the storylines.

I laughed all the way through the game, the voices, the animations, cut-scenes and gameplay had me on the edge of my seat for the 17-hour duration I played the game. I would reccomend this game to Anyone 16+ you will love it.

The Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.