GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fate?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/04/04 at 20:49
Regular
"SOUP!"
Fate?

Do you believe that there is a reason for your continued living? I do. Not because of some religious teachings or fanciful message from God, because I have had an experience that changed my thinking permanently. Almost a year ago, on the same day as my end of school prom, I climbed a gate to take a shortcut home with some friends. It was a fence I’d cut over plenty of times before without a hitch but this time I got my shoe caught and fell head first onto the concrete floor below. Unfortunately for me I wasn’t knocked unconscious but lay bleeding in a state of wretched agony, and I well and truly thought my number was up.

I was taken to hospital and had my head x-rayed, they thought that falling at least 9 feet I would have some damage to my skull – nothing. Ordinarily a head injury patient would have to spend a few days in hospital recovering and having their progress monitored. I was out within a couple of hours.

The chances of my dying from a 9-foot fall and landing on my head were 60% - mostly the odds of my neck being broken and the oxygen supply to my brain being severed were what should have killed me, there was also a chance that my skull could have cracked and fragments of bone could have penetrated my brain. Then there is the odds of brain damage – surviving an accident like that is 40%, surviving without any sort of brain damage or long term side effect is very small. The impact alone was enough to be able to render my brain damaged, the blood loss from my head could have deadened nerves in my face and brain leaving me with memory loss or the inability to perform certain functions, the impact on my head could have crushed my cheekbones and also punctured my eyeball. But I’m fine.

The thing is, I didn’t even need stitches, just a few sterilised bandages over the cut and some facial swelling. The changes of me coming out of the incident totally fine, besides a small scar, are in the single figure percentages – not favourable odds for me.

Before the incident I thought life just ‘was’, but it changed my perspective of things entirely. We’re all here for a reason, our aim is to find out what.
Sat 03/04/04 at 20:49
Regular
"SOUP!"
Fate?

Do you believe that there is a reason for your continued living? I do. Not because of some religious teachings or fanciful message from God, because I have had an experience that changed my thinking permanently. Almost a year ago, on the same day as my end of school prom, I climbed a gate to take a shortcut home with some friends. It was a fence I’d cut over plenty of times before without a hitch but this time I got my shoe caught and fell head first onto the concrete floor below. Unfortunately for me I wasn’t knocked unconscious but lay bleeding in a state of wretched agony, and I well and truly thought my number was up.

I was taken to hospital and had my head x-rayed, they thought that falling at least 9 feet I would have some damage to my skull – nothing. Ordinarily a head injury patient would have to spend a few days in hospital recovering and having their progress monitored. I was out within a couple of hours.

The chances of my dying from a 9-foot fall and landing on my head were 60% - mostly the odds of my neck being broken and the oxygen supply to my brain being severed were what should have killed me, there was also a chance that my skull could have cracked and fragments of bone could have penetrated my brain. Then there is the odds of brain damage – surviving an accident like that is 40%, surviving without any sort of brain damage or long term side effect is very small. The impact alone was enough to be able to render my brain damaged, the blood loss from my head could have deadened nerves in my face and brain leaving me with memory loss or the inability to perform certain functions, the impact on my head could have crushed my cheekbones and also punctured my eyeball. But I’m fine.

The thing is, I didn’t even need stitches, just a few sterilised bandages over the cut and some facial swelling. The changes of me coming out of the incident totally fine, besides a small scar, are in the single figure percentages – not favourable odds for me.

Before the incident I thought life just ‘was’, but it changed my perspective of things entirely. We’re all here for a reason, our aim is to find out what.
Sat 03/04/04 at 21:07
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Wow, you're lucky. My brother was lucky to escape his cancer affair the way he did. He has emerged exactly the way he was before, but with a new perspective, just as you have. His suffering has rippled onto my life in a way, it really is incredible what life has in store for you sometimes.
Sat 03/04/04 at 21:24
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Ashman wrote:
> Wow, you're lucky. My brother was lucky to escape his cancer affair
> the way he did. He has emerged exactly the way he was before, but
> with a new perspective.

Then he is lucky, not all of us get through it that easily, don't presume it doesn't weigh on his mind.
Sat 03/04/04 at 21:41
"period drama"
Fate as in not dying is one thing.
Fate as in you have no control over what happens in your life in another.

A bad another.
Sat 03/04/04 at 21:50
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Flockhart wrote:
> Then he is lucky, not all of us get through it that easily, don't
> presume it doesn't weigh on his mind.

When did I presume that it didn't?
Sat 03/04/04 at 21:52
Regular
"Monochromatic"
we move forward in our path but we leave a road behind us and it is all connected, you can't seperate your present and future from your past.
Sat 03/04/04 at 21:58
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Ashman wrote:

> He has emerged exactly the way he was before, but with a new perspective.

We gain perspective through life, i don't believe he could go through it without it having any effect on him, he may be similar but he won't be the same.
I don't know him and i don't know when it happened but long-term it will have a effect.
Sat 03/04/04 at 21:59
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Medically and physically, he is exactly the same as he was before.
Sat 03/04/04 at 22:03
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Ashman wrote:
> Medically and physically, he is exactly the same as he was before.

As someone who has been through it, i can tell you that he is not the same, but he may not have realised it yet.
I don't know him or how serious it was so i can't say for certain.
Sat 03/04/04 at 22:24
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Well how are you different?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.