GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Clever Computery People..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/04/04 at 15:33
Regular
"SOUP!"
i) Can you tell me the difference between a Compiler and an Interpreter language and why it might be an advantage to translate a programme using a compiler rather than a interpreter?

i) Compare the operation of the compiler with that of an interpreter

i) Identify and justify a situation where a compiler might be preferred to an interpreter

i)Identify and justify a situation where a interpreter might be preferred to an compiler

i)Is source code where something is read from and object code part of the code that tells you what to do to a certain 'thing'. If not, what are Source and Object codes

My computing teacher spends more time harassing year nines and drinking coffee than he does teaching us so I need some help please, Ic, Ali, Blue Eagle, anyone?

[S]Posted this in General too but I know some of the top brass dont venture there often.
Tue 06/04/04 at 16:49
Regular
You guys should try 3rd year degree level games tech.

We're currently looking at Ray Tracing and collision detection solid math, Java application programming, audio programming in Direct Sound and agroup project to boot. We're being clever and making a scripted strategy game engine :D

Still got time to teach myself how to program on my PS2 linux kit when it arrives this week though :D
Tue 06/04/04 at 00:04
Regular
Plus, technically orientated subjects never allow for babbling on in essays; each sentence always carries a purpose. Whilst in other subjects, namely the arts and social sciences, you can babble on and get away with it.
Mon 05/04/04 at 23:02
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Paradox: wrote:
> 2,000 words is nothing for an essay. I've got a 4,500 word one set :-|
> and its not even a final or anything.

I know 2,000 isnt alot, but when your doing a 10,000 dissertation and a group project which contains 3,200 individual report plus 4 2,000 word essays to do in a semester is alot. Dissertation and group project were started in semester 1 but its still a ton of work to do.
Mon 05/04/04 at 20:21
Regular
"SOUP!"
Anyway, thanks for everyones help - you rawk.
Mon 05/04/04 at 20:20
Regular
"SOUP!"
2,000 words is nothing for an essay. I've got a 4,500 word one set :-| and its not even a final or anything.
Sun 04/04/04 at 21:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Miserableman wrote:
> Uncle Albert wrote:
> 2nd year computing coursework is much more interesting (and time
> consuming) that 1st year. Although when I did my 1st-year coursework
> we had to code it - couldn't use Access alone.
>
> If you're talking about degree level, the difficulty and intensity
> roughly doubles each year.

I would agree and disagree. It gets harder but because you gradually move up in difficulty the jump isnt as hard, especially if you need amazing in the 1st year. At the moment my degree is getting pretty hetic. Got a group project to finish off which is a Java Battleships game, and also finish off my dissertation on JavaBeans, plus 2 more 2,000 words essay all in just under 2 months.
Sun 04/04/04 at 19:54
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Uncle Albert wrote:
> 2nd year computing coursework is much more interesting (and time
> consuming) that 1st year. Although when I did my 1st-year coursework
> we had to code it - couldn't use Access alone.

If you're talking about degree level, the difficulty and intensity roughly doubles each year.
Sun 04/04/04 at 19:39
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
2nd year computing coursework is much more interesting (and time consuming) that 1st year. Although when I did my 1st-year coursework we had to code it - couldn't use Access alone.
Sun 04/04/04 at 09:21
Regular
"SOUP!"
Thanks doc :-)
Sat 03/04/04 at 19:30
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
A couple more things - compilers make it easier to distribute your work to other people. You may even only need to distribute the .exe file, depending on the language. Also, if the code is interpreted, you need to distribute your source code, which doesnt do much for your copyright.

BTW, neither helps you to weed out the logic errors in your pgm. A compiler will detect the syntax errors but not your screwed-up logic. I always found interpreted code much easier to debug because its instant to change and try again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.