GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Some help for the tiny ginger one? : Uni"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/03/04 at 18:12
Regular
"Light of the world"
Hi guys i come to you for help and advise.

Ok, firstly I am in year 13 and have 8 wks left of school.

I havent applied for university as I was going to work.

Now, I feel differently due to bizarre and sudden changes in my life and so now I am looking at courses.

I have a dilemna. I can wait find a course and go next septembre or I can go this septembre if I hurry up and fill in UCAS in that new speed application.

I have looked at a journalism course at Middlesex. - But this is confusingly paired with Harlow college and to take a degree I would have to travel two and fro with zero money as a student therefore this isnt a great course for me.

But then low and behold - Kingston. Kingston is not too far from home - or where my partner will be studying. It offers a great arrangement of courses which are the following:

Creative writing joint with journalism:

Creative writing joint with drama:

English Lit joint with drama:

English Lit joint with creative writing:

So, I am scared. I have spokent o some people who have said that creative writing is great, others that as a degree it isnt a core subject at all it is a section - whether this would be recognisable to employers or journalists is what I need to know!

Also, I have heard that to be a Journalist alot do not want to see a degree in there area but something else (so you go in the field with an expertise)

I know for a fact that they are interested in me and there are spaces for me in the creative writing course.

I am confused, accomodation pointers? UNi courses? Student life? Is it worth it?

Employement opportunities for writers/ journalists and work in media?

Please O please help a girl trying to plan her life.

Love ginge xxx
Sat 27/03/04 at 18:12
Regular
"Light of the world"
Hi guys i come to you for help and advise.

Ok, firstly I am in year 13 and have 8 wks left of school.

I havent applied for university as I was going to work.

Now, I feel differently due to bizarre and sudden changes in my life and so now I am looking at courses.

I have a dilemna. I can wait find a course and go next septembre or I can go this septembre if I hurry up and fill in UCAS in that new speed application.

I have looked at a journalism course at Middlesex. - But this is confusingly paired with Harlow college and to take a degree I would have to travel two and fro with zero money as a student therefore this isnt a great course for me.

But then low and behold - Kingston. Kingston is not too far from home - or where my partner will be studying. It offers a great arrangement of courses which are the following:

Creative writing joint with journalism:

Creative writing joint with drama:

English Lit joint with drama:

English Lit joint with creative writing:

So, I am scared. I have spokent o some people who have said that creative writing is great, others that as a degree it isnt a core subject at all it is a section - whether this would be recognisable to employers or journalists is what I need to know!

Also, I have heard that to be a Journalist alot do not want to see a degree in there area but something else (so you go in the field with an expertise)

I know for a fact that they are interested in me and there are spaces for me in the creative writing course.

I am confused, accomodation pointers? UNi courses? Student life? Is it worth it?

Employement opportunities for writers/ journalists and work in media?

Please O please help a girl trying to plan her life.

Love ginge xxx
Sat 27/03/04 at 18:13
Regular
"Light of the world"
O jus so you know...

Predicted Grades = English Combined --- A
Theatre Studies ---- A
Sat 27/03/04 at 18:13
Regular
"Light of the world"
Lil Ginge wrote:
> O jus so you know...
>
> Predicted Grades = English Combined --- A
> Theatre Studies ---- A
Spanish -------------E

I also have C in gen studies (which kingston include)

And 12 GCSES A-C nothing below.

If that helps..
Sat 27/03/04 at 19:34
Regular
The University wouldn't offer it if it wasn't recognisable by employees.

It might not be quite regarded as highly as a degree, but it should be your pass ticket to all things written.
Besides, what you'd get out of creative writing (if the course was any good) would be worth much more than a qualification.

Not that I'd really know anything about qualifications or anything...
I got so sick of people telling me to get qualified for a "good" job that I packed it all in after my A levels and went to work for MacDonalds! :-D
Sun 28/03/04 at 13:31
Regular
I can't help you with the course, except to say that you'll have a much easier 3 years if you're studying something you have an interest in.

Could you finance a year out, travelling or something?
This might be a good idea for you - it'd save you having to rush into a decision so that you could go this year, and I'm sure you'd have a great time.

You could go backpacking and be the Littlest Hobo

Every stop she makes, she finds a new friend
Ba ba ba ba just turn around and she's gone again :^D
Sun 28/03/04 at 13:36
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
If its what you want to do, apply for it. As someone else said, the Uni wouldnt offer the course if employers wouldnt recognise it.
Sun 28/03/04 at 14:00
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Go for what ever takes your fancy. I don't quite know how this works but would it be possible to switch in your first year if you didn't like what you'd applied for?

I know someone who started and English Degree, hated it, switched to History and completed his degree.
Sun 28/03/04 at 14:01
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Judging by the number of errors in my last post, it obviously wasn't me :)
Sun 28/03/04 at 14:15
Regular
"SOUP!"
Wait a year, apply to Leeds uni on the journalism/creative writing course and we'll be together... forever...
Sun 28/03/04 at 16:54
Regular
"Light of the world"
Strafio wrote:
> The University wouldn't offer it if it wasn't recognisable by
> employees.
>
> It might not be quite regarded as highly as a degree, but it should
> be your pass ticket to all things written.
> Besides, what you'd get out of creative writing (if the course was
> any good) would be worth much more than a qualification.

It is a degree course dude, yea I think I would get alot out of it I am simply afraid of squeezing my hobby dry! O and it not being recongnised as much as a english degree - but heck it would be combined with drama!

... Paradox or shal i say kyle...
Is there one in Leeds!?

Wow leeds is a good uni - I would go for it but I have my family and partner back home!

YOU come to kingston upon thames and love it up with toffs for three yrs doing a creative writing and drana course (or a creative writing and journalism course) Mixed floors at this uni! Id cook for you! YEEEEEAAAA!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.