GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Barton 2500+ Overclocking Tips and Unlocking"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/03/04 at 13:40
Regular
"Nobody Home"
I have a Barton 2500+ on one of my systems, but its only on a board with a 166mhz FSB, so it cant hit the 200mhz FSB to make it a 3200+.

How can i unlock the Multiplier? I have read about cutting the bridges, sticking in bits of wire and putting conductive paint between bridges, etc... which is right?

If I unlocked the Barton, wat sort of speeds could i hope to achieve on a 166FSB? This is just seeing whether its worth upgrading to the NF7 at all and i just wanna see what Frequencies I can hit without the 200mhz FSB.
Wed 14/04/04 at 16:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> That makes little sense. Sure, you got some bits right, but you want
> to raise the FSB (and hence the memory speed) not lower it.

When he talks about RAM speed i think he is talking about slackening the timings.
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:14
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
danieldone wrote:
> how did it make it cooler?

Well partly because the case side fan is blowing "fresh" air almost directly onto the cpu fan and partly because part of the actual CPU heatsink is feeling the breeze...
>
> I have 7 Fans? Imagine the degreeage drop I could potentially get :D

heh heh if you have too much air going in it will heat up before it can get expelled out of the case.... = hotter case!!

If the pressure and heat gets high enough you could have yourself Britain's first jet propelled PC... :P
Wed 14/04/04 at 13:10
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Two possible reasons for that, well that I can think of.
>
> Number one, you never screwed the fan in properly and you are getting
> more vibrations.
>
> Number 2 the air blowing into the case at high speed is just causing
> some reverberation of the sides of the case. You can get mats to sit
> a PC on that supposedly damped the noise.

Its the STUUUPID case design thats causing all the noise, the vents are shaped in such way that theres a whine as the air rushes through them, might have to cut a whole through and patch it up with mesh...
Wed 14/04/04 at 02:14
"I love yo... lamp."
That makes little sense. Sure, you got some bits right, but you want to raise the FSB (and hence the memory speed) not lower it. When similar CPU clock speeds are available through different settings, the one with the higher FSB is preferable due to the increased memory bandwidth.

For example 220 MHz FSB * 9.5 multiplier = 2090 MHz is better than 200 MHz FSB * 10.5 multiplier = 2100 MHz, because the memory bandwidth is 10% higher for the sake of only 10 MHz.

Over volting does increase the speeds at which components can run though, just like you said. However, you want to take it nice and easy. More volts = more heat, and temps are a worry. But not only that, higher voltages shorten the life of the CPU.

Also to be mindful of is making sure that you don't run the PCI and AGP buses out of spec by too much. Nforce 2 based motherboards have a PCI lock, so that isn't a problem. With say a VIA KT400 based motherboard, you have to be careful to set the dividers properly. If you have a 1/5th divider available, then you wouldn't want to go much higher than 175 MHz FSB. If only a 1/4th divider then the max safe FSB would be approx. 140 MHz FSB. A 1/6th divider will let you go to around 210 MHz FSB safely. This is based on a max PCI bus speed of 35 MHz being allowed, instead of the standard 33 MHz.

As for temperatures, they are a worry, but not as much as you might think. If it led to great over clocks I would probably run my CPU at up to 60 degrees Celsius.

As for multipliers, well most are locked now, meaning you can't change them. But with processors that have unlocked, changable multipliers, it gives a way of taking the CPU to the limits as well as the RAM. With locked multipliers it becomes rather difficult to get the most from the RAM and from the CPU. One will end up being run slower than it can manage.
Tue 13/04/04 at 19:48
Regular
"Nobody Home"
http://www.olate.com/tutorials/view/176

Theres a tutorial I wrote a while ago. I dunno if its true, but thats what I do and it seems to work :D
Tue 13/04/04 at 12:21
Regular
"\\"
On the subject of overclocking... What is it? What does it do? How do i do it? I feel ashamed not to know, but i best ask.
Mon 12/04/04 at 23:03
Regular
"Nobody Home"
how did it make it cooler?

I have 7 Fans? Imagine the degreeage drop I could potentially get :D

I switched some round in their mounting brackets and no noise difference for me. But there was 7 of em, so I cant be bothered to switch em round! lol.
Sun 11/04/04 at 21:00
"I love yo... lamp."
Two possible reasons for that, well that I can think of.

Number one, you never screwed the fan in properly and you are getting more vibrations.

Number 2 the air blowing into the case at high speed is just causing some reverberation of the sides of the case. You can get mats to sit a PC on that supposedly damped the noise, and the seemingly work to a certain extent. But you would probably get the same effects with a towel or something.

So now that it is all fixed you have no excuse not to run FAD. Boosh and checkmate :-D
Sun 11/04/04 at 18:11
Regular
tigamilla wrote:
> -The noise level shot up

Shot up?

Wouldn't the noise be just the same regardless which way round you positioned the fan?
Sun 11/04/04 at 17:20
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
On the subject of overclocking, (I didnt want to start a new topic)

I was tinkering around and stroking the innards of my PC when I thought of experimenting with Biggles' suggestion to someone to have a case fan blowing in to build up pressure. (I had 2 blowing out.)

I reversed the case side fan so its now blowing in and 2 things happened:-

-The noise level shot up
-Im running 7-10 degrees cooler at full load!!! = no more blue screening!!!

WINNER!!

That is all...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.