GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Councils = stupid"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/03/04 at 13:35
"High polygon count"
In our area (Northampton), we have recently been given two Recycling Bins. Well, they're not bins exactly - more like plastic storage containers with no lids and "Recycled Waste" stamped on the sides.

One is green. This is for paper and card etc. This includes... Newspapers, magazines, brochures, junk mail, telephone directories, food boxes, sheet & corrugated cardboard, computer and photocopy paper.

...but not

Window envelopes, wax or foil lined containers (such as fruit juice containers/milk cartons), tin foil, hard backed books (why not?) and polystyrene.

The other is blue. This is for...

Soft drinks bottles, plastic milk bottles, shampoo/detergent bottles, cans for food/drink/pet food, aerosol cans, tin foil and aluminium food trays...

...but not...

Margarine tubs, ice cream tubs, yoghurt pots, carrier bags, polystyrene trays or egg boxes, foil lined plastic (e.g. crisp packets), plant pots, paint containers, DIY and garden chemical containers, and engine oil containers.

Then we have the standard 'black bag' for all other household waste that can't go in the green or blue boxes.

So, why can the green take all paper and card, but not hard-back books? Why can the blue take foil, but not foil crisp packets, and take plastic bottles but not margarine tubs?

Anyway, that is just the start of the madness.

These are supposed to be left at the kerbside for 7:30 in the mornings of pre-determined days, for collection.

Now this is just my own opinion and speculation, but I think most will agree with me...

1. Those that are not working are likely to think, "I'm not getting up early just to put them out. I'll put them out the night before."

2. Those that are working are likely to think, "I don't have time in the mornings for that. I'll put them out the night before."

A bin full of paper with no lid, left out on a windy night?

Worse still, we live on a council estate with lots of bored, moronic youngsters. If several hundred people put out open 'bins' full of tins, paper and other rubbish the night before, with bored teens roaming around... what do you think is going to happen?

But it gets even more stupid.

On the local radio yesterday, a woman phoned in to relate a story about the stupidity (and futility) of the recycling plan.

She had phoned the council to say that she and her husband have a lot of paper to throw out every week, and that she had been recycling it herself. Could she carry on as usual? The council said, "No, you must use the bins provided."

So she told them that they have far too much paper each week to fit in the bin, could she have another? The council asked how big her family was, and when she said there was just her and her husband, they said, "No, your family isn't large enough. If you had more people at your address, you would qualify for a second bin, but you don't... sorry!"

She then asked, "Well, you've told me I can't recycle myself and I can't have another bin. What do I do with the paper that won't fit in the bin I have?"

Ready for the punchline?

The council told her, "Just put it in a black sack and put it out with the normal rubbish."

Ba boom... tssshhhhhhh!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... the stupidity of councils, and the futility of recycling schemes.

I'm all for recycling, but until they come up with a sensible way of doing things (and maybe lobotomise council estate youths), I really don't see the point.
Sat 27/03/04 at 19:20
Regular
Man, your council IS stupid! :-D

They should realise that it's the amount of paper used that counts, not how many people that live there. :-D
Sat 27/03/04 at 19:13
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
My council gives us recycling tubs. They're useful...
Sat 27/03/04 at 19:06
Regular
"Excommunicated"
We just had our recycling one delivered this week BTW
Sat 27/03/04 at 19:05
Regular
"www.360volts.tk"
your doing tere work fot them its the same in our area
Sat 27/03/04 at 19:04
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> i.e. the kids are more than likely to tip it all
> over the road!

Or worse, set it on fire.
Sat 27/03/04 at 19:02
Regular
"Excommunicated"
That is stupid

Recycling is a good idea but people aren't going to go to the trouble of everything that it tells you.

However, I have sorted my stuff and washed and crushed all my cans and stuff.
Sat 27/03/04 at 18:48
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Lindgren wrote:
> And if you don't want to get up at 7:30 to put the bin out, do it
> the night before!
>
> I'm sure we will, but I did cover the reasons for not wanting to in
> the original post - i.e. the kids are more than likely to tip it all
> over the road!

Never ever happened to me.
Sat 27/03/04 at 18:31
"High polygon count"
Lindgren wrote:
> And if you don't want to get up at 7:30 to put the bin out, do it
> the night before!

I'm sure we will, but I did cover the reasons for not wanting to in the original post - i.e. the kids are more than likely to tip it all over the road!
Sat 27/03/04 at 18:29
"High polygon count"
Loquacious Duck wrote:
> It was only a last-resort type measure, a £1000 fine, but it
> seemed like quite a good idea to me really.

Generally speaking, I agree. But what will Northampton Council do?

They've told this woman she can't have an extra bin, and to put her excess paper out in a normal rubbish bag.

Will they then send these "rubbish snoopers" round and fine her for not recycling that paper? Knowing council jobsworths, they probably will!
Sat 27/03/04 at 13:09
"period drama"
Our system rocks.
We get wheelie bins - one with a blue lid is for recycled stuff (paper, plastic, cardboard only), everything else goes in the green-lidded one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.