GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DS racers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/03/05 at 19:13
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Got Ridge racer through the post and although it's almost a straight port of the PSone and N64 game 6 years ago I am enjoying it. I always wanted a racer for DS ever since I got it in November but the reason im posting this is because of the reviews im reading. The other racer is Asphalt which has been out over here since day one.

Im just a little confused how NGC say this is the worst game in the line up yet reading through online reviews, most say it's better than Ridge racer.

Has anyone played both and can give a fair comparison?

Ridge racer is fine so im not going to pay for another racing game until Mario Kart but the NGC Asphalt review SOUNDS incredibly harsh compared to all the others ive read.
Wed 30/03/05 at 19:13
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Got Ridge racer through the post and although it's almost a straight port of the PSone and N64 game 6 years ago I am enjoying it. I always wanted a racer for DS ever since I got it in November but the reason im posting this is because of the reviews im reading. The other racer is Asphalt which has been out over here since day one.

Im just a little confused how NGC say this is the worst game in the line up yet reading through online reviews, most say it's better than Ridge racer.

Has anyone played both and can give a fair comparison?

Ridge racer is fine so im not going to pay for another racing game until Mario Kart but the NGC Asphalt review SOUNDS incredibly harsh compared to all the others ive read.
Wed 30/03/05 at 19:16
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
NGC like to be seriously harsh sometimes, as long as they make a big joke about it all. It depends on who reviews it, I think. As much as I find the jokes about Kittsy funny, he's a complete idiot when reviewing.
Thu 31/03/05 at 08:04
Regular
Asphalt is dire to be fair. I have no idea what Ridge Racer on DS is like, but if it's anything like the PSP version, I wouldn't look at another handheld racer for some time yet.
Thu 31/03/05 at 13:23
Regular
"tokyo police club"
It's a decent enough port, juswt isn't made for the DS, and you can tell this by the poor attempt at touch screen.

Could've done a lot more with it, but for a straight port (and launch title), it's not too bad.
Thu 31/03/05 at 19:26
Regular
"NJAN"
I havent got either but from practically all the reviews i have read, Asphalt is supposed to be pretty rubbish and ridge racer is supposed to be at least half decent.

Asphalt is a port from the N-Gage and ridge racer is a port from the n64 - from that alone id pick ridge racer.

im lookin forward to gettin ridge racer when it comes out over here (and not just for the above reason).
Thu 31/03/05 at 19:45
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Ridge Racer is a far, far better game. Asphalt was so poor I've sold it on.
Thu 31/03/05 at 19:53
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Thanks for the responses. Well im glad I chose Ridge Racer. What makes Asphalt bad then? NGC never went into detail about it.
Fri 01/04/05 at 06:44
Regular
It's sluggish, uninvolving, grainy to look at and a general pisstake in terms of effort.
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:57
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
What he said.
Sun 03/04/05 at 20:58
"possibly impossible"
Don't forget that Need for Speed Underground and Mario Kart DS are coming though.

Probably among others as more people jump on the bandwagon of touchiness

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.