GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RESPECT MAN UNITED"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/04/01 at 19:29
Regular
Manchester United. Not many people like them? Pa! That’s like saying they aren’t any good at football, which is normally the kind of response a hater of United to say.

I don’t support Manchester United, but unlike many people, I do not hate them, as Alex Ferguson’s men are the most likely source of silverware every season, particularly through Europe – and if a British team are in Europe, and it’s usually Manchester United, then I want them to do well, as Blackburn don’t seem to have much of a chance of playing the likes of Real Madrid, Bayen Munich and Juventus, so whenever a UK squad gets into the European elite I have to cheer! However, Blackburn could get into Europe soon if they get promoted (and they will!)!

Man United are going to win the premiership again this year. No question about it – with less than a handful of defeats, it seems the mighty Red Devils are cementing their dominating presence into the 21st century and look unstoppable really! Of course they do slip up from time to time, losing to Liverpool, getting beaten at home by their German equivalents, but I can’t see them going out of Europe – they’ll go to Munich with the same attitude that has awarded them so many trophies and prestigious titles over the years, and they probably will win something like 2-1 and win on away goals.

They’re a big business. Manchester United have the most successful manager, are the richest club in the world, have the most supporters and the largest stadium to accommodate just 1% of them all (68,000 now?)! Alex Ferguson has the most talented squad in the premiership, and possibly in Europe, and the best thing is most of them are English. I’ll give you a quick rundown of the main players at Old Trafford in a minute!

Man United are currently sitting high above anyone else in the premiership, and could easily win by a clear 15 points or so, which is really quite amazing. They’ve won every single premier league title with the exception of 1995’s Blackburn championship and 1998’s Arsenal title. In 1999 they won the treble, the FA cup, league and Champions League – I found it quite incredible as they scored 2 in the last few minutes! Amazing stuff that made nearly every jaw drop in he country. Those Sheringham and Solksjaer goals were absolutely amazing, and most United supporters will be able to tell you exactly what they were doing when the goals flew in. It was simply astounding, and I think possibly the best match I have seen on TV!

Man United play at one of the most atmospheric (and ever increasing in capacity) stadiums in the world, and although I have never had the experience of watching any teams play here, I would dearly love to go and see Blackburn play United next season when Blackburn of course will be playing in the Premiership! The ground Old Trafford is very famous – the Theatre of Dreams. Many players would move to United just to play here!

The most influential player rundown:

David Beckham: At just 25 years old (I think) he’s one of the greatest players the world has ever seen, and deserves to where the famous number 7 shirt in my view, and he’s definitely as influential as the incredibly talented, yet similarly highly talked about, Eric Cantona. The press may go on about him 24/7, and he may where his wife’s clothes from time to time, and he may even talk in a strange voice, but there’s no denying it – David Beckham is the greatest English player, and is likely to be voted the world’s greatest player within a couple of seasons. Respect!

Teddy Sheringham: Over 30, and still he’s the best Man United striker! Unbelievably quick and has great awareness, on and off the ball, Sheringham has got to be the best bargain signing for Manchester United, and would easily be in the England team if I were in Eriksson’s shoes! He may not be the best of friends with fellow striker Andrew Cole, but they play well as a team up front. He may well end up with the Golden Boot for this year, if he can catch up Jimmy Floyd @ Chelsea! Superb player, one of England’s best also.

Fabien Barthez: the best French goalkeeper in a very long time, and a worthy ‘true’ replacement for the supreme Great Dane Schmeical (I canny spell, sorry!). No one really considered Mark Bosnich, Taibi or Van Der Gouw to be of suitable quality of replacing the best goalkeeper in existence, or did they? Only Barthez would do in the eyes of Alex Ferguson, and now Man United continue the trend of not having a British goalkeeper – seems to work in their favour!

Ryan Giggs: the best Welsh winger and controller of the ball you’ll ever hear about. He’s got incredible pace, and has been at Old Trafford for his entire playing career – he’s likely to stay there too. I don’t know who’ll eventually replace him, but it seems like Giggs has been running up and down that left flank for ages! Can anyone remember that goal he scored against Arsenal a couple of seasons back? Now that is what I call individual genius. Ryan Giggs – another top quality Man United player.

The defence: I won’t single out any individual players here as all the defence at Man United play at a very high standard and work impeccably well as a unit. Jaap Stam has proved that his £10million price tag was a bargain, the Neville brothers: Gary and Phil, both play well, and are often in the England team; Ronny Johnsen sometimes plays, Wes Brown may score own goals, but he’s a future England regular I am certain! There’re also many others, including a lot of improving youngsters, which will help ensure Manchester retain the trophies, and their flawless goal difference!

Roy Keane: the Irish hard man, who’s been magnificent over the years. His work rate is unrivalled in my view, and his switching of play is very intelligent. He can defend, score goals and boost morale – an excellent captain, when and if he gets the captaincy – I think Sheringham is at the moment. Again, he seems to have spent a lifetime at united, on a high wage Roy Keane doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere soon!

Alex Ferguson: Ok, so I’ve left a lot of players out, but the ones I have included are players who I feel are playing the best football out of the entire squad. So onto the manager – he’s a tactical genius, a talent spotter and one of the most highly regarded and respected managers in the world. As I say his record is impressive with United winning over 63% of all their games under his command. Ferguson, when he retires from United will probably stay on as a chief executive at the club, or something similar, but expect a lot of offers for him – an excellent manager.

Ok, I’ll try and bring this post to a close within the 1500 word mark, but I just hope that you can appreciate that other teams, players, fans and a lot of people in general will be envious of them, people may hate them because they’re such an impressive team, that nearly always brings some silverware home each season. As a business they are also successful, but as a football team is how I regard them as the very best. The team spirit and style of play is something different to everywhere else, and they always play with certain flair and offer great entertainment.

Man United even have their own television channel, the most kits in a season and a record sponsorship from Vodafone! Umbro supply the kits, which are the famous red and white in colour.

United are a five star class act all the way – if you’re a neutral supporter you can’t go far wrong than watching them play on the box or at the ground.

Dan2K1
Mon 16/04/01 at 16:38
Regular
Well, what can I say about Manchester United? Huh, that’s a funny question! As everyone knows, Man United are the best football team in the premiership and they are definitely one of the best football teams in the world. They have got so many great footballers in their squad and so even if some of them are injured for matches, there are always replacements. They have also got one of the best managers in the world, if not the best, in Alex Ferguson.

As I have already said, Man United have got some of the best players playing for them, in the premiership. These players include the like of Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs, Barthez, Stam, Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Gary Neville………..Ok, I could go on, but these are probably he main players.

Since the premier league started in 1992/1993 season, Man United have been the most dominating team in English football. Out of the 8 years that the premiership has been going, Man United have won the title 6 times. The other 2 titles went to Blackburn and Arsenal. This is an amazing record and in my opinion, Man United will continue to win the premiership a lot, especially with Alex Ferguson in charge.

Below is a list of this seasons’ Man United squad and whether I think they are a hit or miss for the team.

Fabien Barthez – Barthez is United’s first choice goalkeeper and I will admit to the fact that he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. He has got amazing ability when it comes to shot stopping and he can also run with the ball, which isn’t bad for a goalkeeper. In my opinion, he has been a great buy for United and is the perfect replacement for Scheimical.
Garry Neville – Gary Neville is the older brother of the Neville’s and I would have to say that he is probably the better footballer as well. He has been a first team regular in both the United and England squad for a few years now and I reckon he will continue to do this, as he is still quite young.
Jaap Stam – Jaap Stam is definitely one of the best defenders in the premiership at the moment and some people would consider him to be one of the best in the world. He is a great tackler and his heading ability is quality too.
Ronny Johnsen – Injured for most of the season
Dennis Irwin – Old, but still a good defender.
David Beckham – One of the best players in the world.
Paul Scholes – One of the best players in Europe.
Roy Keane – Another quality midfielder.
Ryan Giggs – Once again, another quality midfielder.
Andy Cole – England striker who can score goals.
Teddy Sheringham – Might be 35, but still United’s leading scorer this season.
Dwight Yorke – Another striker who can score goals.
Wes Brown – Young English defender who is very talented.
Luke Chadwick – Young England midfielder who is still improving.
Phil Neville – Younger brother of the Neville’s, but still a decent defender.
Mikael Silvestre – Quality left back.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – Quality striker, but he has never been given a proper run in Manchester United’s first team.
Raimond Van Der Gouw – Old and not getting any younger.

THIS SEASON

So far this season, Man United are top of the premier and they are top of their group, in the second phase of the Champions League! In the premiership, they have played 31 games, having won 21 of them, drawing 7 and losing the other 3. This season in the premiership has also seen Man United lose at home for the first time in more than 2 years, in the premiership. This happened recently in their game against Liverpool, in which Liverpool won 1-0. The goal was scored by Danny Murphy in the first half. Man United are presently 5 points clear at the top of the table. Arsenal are in second place on 35 points, while Man United are on 40 points. Man United have also scored the most goals so far this season, which isn’t a surprise seeing as they seem to always end up as the seasons top scorers, every year anyway. So far this season, United have scored 44 goals and conceded 14. This puts them on a goal difference of 30, which is about 15 more than any other team in the premiership. Their leading goal scorer this season is surprisingly Teddy Sheringham. The reason why I used the word ‘surprisingly’ is because last season, Teddy Sheringham was United’s 4th choice striker and he only scored 6 goals during the whole season. But this season has seen Sheringham play most of United’s games, and has seen him score around 20 goals. That has put him as the overall leading scorer in the premiership. His form has been so good that he has restricted Dwight Yorke to coming off the bench, whenever he plays. (He has been playing in the first team recently though, due to the injury of Andrew Cole)

Other players but that have been having a good season for Man United so far, include Paul Scholes and David Beckham, who have both being scoring goals from their midfield positions; Ryan Giggs, who has being inspiration on the left side of midfield and Fabien Barthez, who seems to be the right man for the goalkeeping position at Man United. He was signed this year in the summer and in my opinion, he will be United’s first choice keeper for quite a few years to come.

In the Champions League, United are in the quarterfinals, but they lost their first leg against Bayern Munich, 1-0. In the first phase, United came second overall after a few disappointing results. It looked as though it was going to be easy for United as they won their opening game 5-1 against Anderlecht, who ended up the eventual winners of the group. But the players just couldn’t seem to get their act together as United drew a games, where they should have won, and lost games where they should have at least drawn. In the second phase of the champions league, United top their group having won their opening 2 games. The other teams in their group are Panathinaikos, Sturm Graz and Valencia. United’s opening game was against Panathinaikos, which they won 3-1. Sheringham and Scholes, who got 2, scored goals. Their second game was against Sturm Graz, which they 2-0. Giggs and Scholes scored the goals. Valencia finished top of the group and United finished second and so both team went through to the quarterfinals. United’s opponents in the quarterfinals are Bayern Munich.

Another good thing about this year for United is the fact that they are going to be in the F.A Cup. Last year, this wasn’t the case as they went to Brazil and played in the FIFA Club World Championships. This didn’t go to well for United as they drew their opening game with Rayos Del Necaxa 1-1; lost their second game against Vasco Da Gama 3-1; but they won their final game against South Melbourne 2-0. So, in total, United scored 4 goals, but they also conceded 4 goals. United’s 4 goals were scored by Nicky Butt, Dwight Yorke and the other 2 were scored by Quinton Fortune.

Although I do not support Manchester United, I have seen them play a few times. The best game that I saw them play in was when they went to White Hart Lane to play Tottenham. This was a great day for me, as well as many other Tottenham supporters as Spurs won the game 4-1. Even though United got stuffed, they still went on to win the premiership.

LAST SEASON

Well, how can you follow the unbeatable? How could Manchester United avoid demoralising anti-climax in the wake of the barely credible treble triumph of 1998/99? In fact, the Red Devils made a good fist of their Millennium campaign. Ok, they did let the European Cup slip away, but this didn’t happen until Man United became the only club to reach the quarterfinals in each of the last 4 seasons.

But, to many of the Man United fans, the domestic League crown represented the principle prize and that was retained with a flourish. Sir Alex Ferguson’s men served up some of the most sumptuous football of modern times, in the process setting premiership records for most points and wins in a 38-game season. They also scored more goals than any top flight title winners for nearly 40 years, as well as finishing 18 points ahead of their nearest rivals. Man United finished the season on 91 points, compared to second place Arsenal who finished on 73 points. They also scored an amazing 97 goals. Arsenal were the closest team to United as they score 73, which put them 24 goals behind United. Manchester United also won 28 games, drew 7, and lost the 3. The 28 wins was a record and was 6 more than their closest rivals. Once again, it was Arsenal.

The success of Man United could have been due to many reasons. Some said that it was due to the quality of the midfield. But for all the formidable quality of such world-class performers as David Beckham, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, it is actually none of them who held the outright key to the phenomenal continued success of Manchester United. The 4 midfielders that I have just mentioned are in fact, still the main 4 midfielders for United, at this present time. In my opinion, these players are definitely the best midfielders in the premiership, as a team, by a long way.

On that unforgettable day in May, when the whole of Old Trafford was partying after the presentation of the Premiership trophy, Alex Ferguson was given his new name of Sir Alex Ferguson. This was a great day for the Man United manager and he will always remember it. In my opinion, Alex Ferguson deserved this name as he has been a great manager of Man United and he has brought so much success to the club. He even helped them to become the first ever club to be worth more than £1 billion, which was simply astonishing. The only problem is the fact that as long as Ferguson is in charge of United, other premiership clubs will just have to try and do their best to stop United from dominating football every season.

LEGENDS

There are many great footballers that played for Man United down the years, but in my opinion, these are the main legends.

George Best
Bobby Charlton
Peter Schmeicel
Eric Cantona

Obviously there are many more, but I can’t seem to think of them.

Man United will continue to dominate the premiership for a few years, but it won't be too long before more teams start to challenge them.
Wed 11/04/01 at 10:59
Oh, come on RBS. This was a worthy winner. Just take a look back at some of the highlights of this illuminating post:

"Umbro supply the kits, which are the famous red and white in colour."

"The ground Old Trafford is very famous – the Theatre of Dreams"

With cutting analysis, delicate insight and high-spirited debate of this standard how could it not win!
Tue 10/04/01 at 13:53
Regular
"You've upset me"
Ha! What did I tell you this would win!

*shakes head dissapointingly(?)*
Tue 10/04/01 at 10:47
That's my point exactly. Blackburn fell apart because the manager and a few players left. If Man Utd or Arsenal lost their manager and a few players they would not be relegated. OK - they may not win the league but they would continue to be a force. Any top flight club has to have the infrastucture to cope with big changes in staff and still remain at the top.
Mon 09/04/01 at 20:42
Actually Blackburn went back into division one because Kenny Dalglish left, as did a vast amount of excellent players - however, I can see Blackburn returning to the premiership and finishing in a top half position - possibly in the top 6 and going for a European spot.

I think I know a little bit more about Blackburn than you, no offence, but I have supported them all my life - and well, I can tell you that they have a completely changed team, they are a completely different club that have a superb manager in Graeme Souness, who is very well respected throughout the footballing world. Blackburn have the most impressive youth academy system and facilities as well as the best players in division one. I can even see them beating Fulham convincingly on Wednesday night - I'd go for a score of 3-0 to Blackburn.

Lying in a very strong 2nd place with several games in hand to the teams in the playoffs and have a superb goal difference. They have very strong foundations now, and they will become a major rival to the top Prem teams within a season or two.

Thanks

Dan

Mon 09/04/01 at 19:13
I thought the post was quite a tedious read in all honesty. I also think the post should be ruled out for a prize on the basis that the poster thinks Blackburn will get back into Europe when they get promoted.

Blackburn bought their way to success without setting the foundations to sustain their short lived glory. OK - winning the championship was a great acheivement but just a few years later they were in Div 1.

There are so many things that make a great club (decent ground, decent youth scheme, large GROUND support, large FAN support - for merchandise sales etc, good PR, good facilities to attract top players etc etc etc). It is no good paying huge sums of money for short lived glory if the basic ingrediants for sustained success are missing.

I wonder where Fulham will be in 5-7 years time - once Mohamed Al Fayed has tired of his new toy !!.

The team that are doing things the right way are MILLWALL. They have the best youth system in the South and have developed several promising youngsters. They look like getting promoted to Div 1 and have acheived this with very little spend on new players. They have a decent ground and large and very loyal support. They are acheiving this without the need of an egotistical chairman, trying to buy adoration.
Mon 09/04/01 at 17:02
The post is good. I don't misunderstand things. Respect to RBS.
Mon 09/04/01 at 14:56
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Haha, i think you misunderstood! Go on, read it again....
Mon 09/04/01 at 14:32
Respect to the sandman
Mon 09/04/01 at 10:32
That's absolutely right. If your post was any good it would have stood a excellent chance of being picked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.