GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Trade' Secrets"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/04/01 at 10:36
Regular
When you've played that new game to death and don't really want to pick it up again, do you just leave it on the shelf to gather dust, never to be entered into the hallow grooves of your CD drive again? Do you have a mounting pile of games that are never played?

Trading games, rather than leaving them unplayed, is gathering support from many gamers these days. Most independant retailers are happy to receive your old games in exchange for money off of new ones, it keeps the games 'alive' and means that someone else with a limited budget can pick up your old game second hand.

It also means that you can trade between platforms, so if you sell your Playstation and have a few games left over, then you can always trade them towards games for your new console. Some places even trade Consoles, meaning that your new Gameboy Advance isn't so far away from your bank balance as it once was.

Trading games is the way forward for games shops, even larger stores are part exchanging games now, albeit at stupid prices in some, and it prevents build up of all those unwanted boxes of games lying dormant in a cupboard somewhere until they get so high that they nearly kill you when you next open the cupboard door.
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:05
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
yes its true, i do not lie.
Sun 08/04/01 at 11:48
you dont say.
Sun 08/04/01 at 11:44
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
pb wrote:
> i got £25 for my game boy colour.

Well lucky u. Because i was so desperate to get a DC in october, do ya no how much i got for tradin in my playstation....£15. Yeah thats rite, the stingy people in game only gave my £15. I was happy enought tho coz it was all i needed to pick up my DC(a paperround dont pay so ell see,) I think tradin in games is good and bad. Its bad when u get a crap deal but iits good at gettin so extra money off new games.
Sun 08/04/01 at 11:30
Regular
This is what i said before.
Sun 08/04/01 at 10:00
Sr rule
Sun 08/04/01 at 09:55
"possibly impossible"
Prices relate to how much the games can now be sold for. If you're sensible, you'll buy new games and trade in other games for another second hand game, that way you're getting more back for what you give in.

I don't tend to buy new games anymore (mainly because I can't afford it) but I trade old games for other second hand games, which means I get more for my money, and I never go to eb to do it either, as they suck.

Of course, you can buy older games cheaper from SR as well, they seem to excel at selling older games at lower prices, just look at some of the N64 and Playstation bargains on offer.
Sat 07/04/01 at 22:05
people are not acknowledging my story!
Sat 07/04/01 at 18:51
*time warp buys an n64 with 5 games and plays happily for 2 years*. then gets a few more games and enjoys them too. *after completing the games that cost £50 a few times he decides to trade some in for some new top games that will then keep him busy for the next few months while waiting for the new consoles are coming out. When timewarp gets to the store he puts 5 games that all cost £50 at the time on the counter and says can i trade these in for a new game or 2. The store worker starts marking on with pen the prices of the games. timewarp waits happily and thinks, yes a few new games on the way for me. Then when all numbers are added up each game turns out to be about £6 and his face drops to the floor in disgust.
with £35 to get a new game unhappily timewarp dishes out 15 more sqids which he was goin to use for a day at the local theme park chessington world of adventures. After he hands it over he chooses a brand new game and with mixed feelings trudges home. with the new game in slot he thinks this better not be cr@p but it turns out that it is not that bad but not brilliant at all. he then realises that he could have had fun with the older games he had with his mates when they come round for a couple of hours. Ok so the game is fun but knowwhere as near as fun as the 5 other games he traded it in for.
The truth is that is better to play an old game every few months than selling it for a 12th of the price you got it for even if you start to hate it.(avoid eb they suck)

time warp.
Sat 07/04/01 at 18:11
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I still agree that the independant retailers still offer the best deals on trade-ins, but they also have the time to spend chatting with you about what is going on in the gaming industry. (My local one does, anyway.)

As well as this, he's a gaming guru, so if you ever need advice on what would be the best RPG or shooter to buy, his advice is usually spot on.

So your independants can always offer a better service than the main high street stores, and that's what I prefer. Customer service is worth more than just a few quid off a game, but I'm lucky, my local store has both advantages.
Sat 07/04/01 at 18:03
Regular
Yes i have i said that trading game is not worth it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.