GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles - Is the End Nigh?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/04/01 at 18:39
Regular
I had a master system. Bought the games. Got bored of the games Game Gear looked better, bought a game gear. Then after lots of saving I got myself a Mega Drive. Game Gear and Master System gathered dust. Played my Mega Drive for a while. Then stopped. Then let it gather dust. Then out came the Playstation - didn't get it instead got an N64 just for Goldeneye. Then finally decided to get a Playstation. Now both are gathering dust upstairs with me saying goodbye to Mr. N64 after I got stuck on Perfect Dark, and the Playstation? Stopped playing it because of Sony's terrible distribution policies of Playstation 2's. If they are not going to make it easy for me to simply go into a shop and come out with a PS2 - screw you Sony :-P. Now I have turned my attention to the PC.. Why? Because Consoles are dying. Consoles are becoming increasingly better and better and with the quality more expensive. 300 quid isn't it for a PS2? (something like that), yet for a few quid more I can get myself a nice PC.

Consoles are just becoming more powerful because of competition. The competition is going to kill consoles off trust me. I can see it now. What’s happening.. its all going hazy

Microsoft have released their X Box! Microsoft kill sales of PS2. Nintendo release Gamecube! Within months PS2 announce a 3rd Playstation inventively titled "PStation 3". Nintendo's sales are nowhere near X Box. X Box announce plans for a new console “The Super Bill-Gates” Pstation 3 released at £400, Nintendo release plans for a new console code name “Grey Squirrel” Super Bill Gates released at £500. Grey Squirrel released at £550. Grey Squirrel sales pathetic, people turn to PC’s. Consoles die.

Is it just me who thinks this is where we are going? There came a time where consoles were for people to play games on and have fun at a small cost. Now it’s an expensive luxury for people to be cool and have the ‘right’ console – the one that sells the most.
Sat 07/04/01 at 16:44
Regular
Nope, just posting my view on which is better.

I've been here for over a year now and I've never properly posted my view on what's better, PC or consoles, so I thought I might as well put as many points as I can think of in one message!
Sat 07/04/01 at 16:35
Regular
"You've upset me"
hmmmmm looks like someone on here's goin' for GAD. Of course I won't mention Edgys name.

what the?! D'oh!!

:-D
Sat 07/04/01 at 16:29
Regular
Unless you've got a fulty Exp. Pak then I agree with Sniper...

Anyway this argument is "Which is better for gaming" not "What can do more than gaming".

Sat 07/04/01 at 15:34
Regular
Those are the problems with the games not the machine.
Sat 07/04/01 at 15:07
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Consoles can be buggy at times. Once I played DOnkey Kong 64 Jack Boss Level and he kinda got glitched and was half jumping from a platform to another then back. Sure they are not as frequent but PCs are useful for so much more and are more worth the money.
Sat 07/04/01 at 13:26
Regular
lol :)

My mind is finally booting up like a PC and actually workign as it should....

....however I can feel a crash coming on soon.....

In fact talking about crashes......

Consoles very rarely have any major problems with them because the software is designed just for them and nothing else! So when you buy a console you don't have to worry about illegal operations, crashes, boot problems or anything like that!

Pc's, however, have loads of problems!

Illegal Operations: Usually occur when a program has an anomaly which the PC can't simply ignore. Sometimes something major happens to cause this but usually it's just a glitch that the PC should really be able to ignore.

Crashes: Tend to happen when two or more programs try to compete with each other to use the same hardware. Your computer freezes and sometimes there's nothing you can do about it. When this happens the best thing to do is use a boot disk to restore original settings, and if that doesn't work. Use it to restore your PC to it's facory Default which can take ages!

Viruses: Let them infect the wrong files and you'll have to take your PC to the manufacturer to get your whole system wiped! Makes sure you have an Antivirus program which you can update on a regular basis. Otherwise you may lose everything on your PC and it'll cost a lot to sort it out! Antivirus programs don't always detect the virus programs til it's to late, so be careful.

The list of problems goes on and on, so if you want an easy gamers life, stick to consoles, but it doesn't mean consoles are any better though!
Sat 07/04/01 at 13:10
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
HES DONE IT AGAIN!!
AHH! STOP THE POSTS THEY ARE SLOWLY KILLING OFF MY BRAIN CELLS! That's not a post it's an essay! :)
Sat 07/04/01 at 13:03
Regular
Back to the consoles versus PC argument...

PC's are obsolete as soon as you take them out of the shop! It doesn't matter whether you bought the latest PC with all the extras, there'll be a newer model just released. That's why PC's have to be upgraded all the time.

This doesn't necessarily effect gaming so much. However PC's aren't as good for gaming in the long run as consoles are. Nothing to do with the graphics, sounds or anything like that. It's partly because of the war between Microsoft and Apple.

Microsoft seem to be releasing a new Operating system every year, and I there were two very similar ones released last year: Microsoft Windows 2000, and Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition (which my friend says is pants) Now they are doing this to try and compete with the not as popular but better rated Apple Mac. operating systems.

Games companies can afford to update their operating systems when they want to so they just go along with the flow, and make their PC games run on the latest versions of Windows without letting it be backwards compatable with Windows 95. And Windows 95 is probably the best operating System since the Disk Operating System (DOS) and it is the best because all the bugs have been sorted.

So games aren't compatable with the older operating systems. But it's not just the computer software that games wont run on, it's the hardware too!

Games are almost always designed for the latest sound and graphics cards, and a lot of games require £300 3D cards which to the average person, aren't at affordable prices. Games used sell for longer in the shops when they didn't require the latest hardware. But now they do, you tend to see a game in a shop for only a couple months before either the price has halved, or it's joined the budget range of games for only £9.99

So this is all against the PC in the Consoles versus the PC argument?

Not neccasarily.

Because there are a lot of budget games for the PC, you only need to buy the latest PC once to have a huge range of software titles to choose from at low prices! Then whilst all your friends are buying the latest games and getting bored quickly, you could already have bought 10 times more games which could last you for years!

People talk aobut PC's dying out soon to be replaced with laptops and even handhelds...but for offices PC's are better! Who's gonna be able to steal a PC out of an office without getting noticed? Wheras Laptops just need to be unplugged and out you go, maybe no one will notice at all then! Laptops are generally more expensive as well.

Palm tops aren't really any good if you need to print documents on the go...you'd need to connect your palmtop to a PC or laptop to print. So I can't see PC's completely dying out this decade. They may be replaced by better technology but they will still look very similar.

There is more of a chance of the console dying out though! Consoles are becomming PC's! You can now access the web and even buy discs that allow you to make your own music and games! You can buy Keyboards for the web-ready and mice for strategy games on some consoles. Every generation of games console is getting closer to being called a PC!

But this still doesn't give me enough info to say which is better, PC or console, mainly because there isn't anything that stands out above all the main features of either PC or console that changes my mind. Neither are better than each other for games.
Sat 07/04/01 at 11:13
We will win the world cup. (i will shoot every one who gets in there way). And it is cheating id the reff doesn't see it or not. There is no way round it. He cheated gaints England (which for some reason is why he is famous), and he did it on every one, inclueding club level.
Sat 07/04/01 at 11:04
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
he he
Lets face it England have the worst bad luck.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.