GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm after a CD/MD-player for my car..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/03/04 at 14:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Basically, I'm after a decent CD (or, preferably, MiniDisc) player for my car at a good price, and I'm looking for help in choosing one.

First of all, I don't know where to look. I've looked in all the obvious places (like Argos, and the rest), yet, the only thing I've found that relates to what I want is a 10-CD thing from SONY that also plays MiniDiscs.

Ideally, I want something with a radio (digital or not - I don't really care), the ability to play CDs (at least 3, if it can't do MDs) and, most importantly of all, it has to play MiniDiscs.

I've got one of those FM-transmitter devices that SR sell, yet, in the long-run, I don't think that'll quite be as-good, somehow - although, it does make a good job of it, temporarily.

So, where should I be looking?
Which one should I get?
How much will it cost?

(And don't try to tempt me with speakers or any of that crap. :P )

Thank you.
Sun 21/03/04 at 01:01
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Nah, CD/rw drives write to either CD-r's (CAn only write once on them) or CD-rw (Can write as many times as you like. I think its like about 1000 or something) Basically if you use CD-r's thry faster at writing to and cheaper. CD-rw's are more expensive and slower.

Anyhow.

http://www.download.com will have lots of programs for you if you look around abit.

Enjoy :)
Sat 20/03/04 at 18:56
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Aha! I see how it all works now.

Put 5 incubus albums onto my PC as MP3s, went to record them all to a blank "MP3 CD", and it didn't even fill-up HALF of it!

Trouble is, I still don't have my CD...

Using the software that came with my CD-RW Drive (Easy CD Creator 5), it tells me I do not have the correct version for this kind of job, and that I need to go on-line to upgrade to Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. So, I go on-line, have a look around and... it's not there!

There's an update for Easy CD Creator 5; but it's not the Platinum one.
There's one FOR the Platinum edition, but, I don't have that, anyway.
I search around the site some more.... But, nothin'!

I've also tried using this MusicMatch Jukebox thing I downloaded a couple of years ago, but, when I go to do an MP3-job, it tells me "You must have a CD-R Drive to Record!"... Well, that's exactly what I have, isn't it?!

I mean, I've recorded (copied) CDs before - it CAN be done, using the Easy CD software that came with it. That may've only been for a standard Audio CD, but it did work.

So, I'm now interested in what downloadable programs other people use for transferring MP3 files to a blank disc as an MP3 CD.

And, PLEASE, don't tell me a CD-R Drive is completely different to a CD-RW or anything like that....?
Thu 18/03/04 at 16:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Solskjær wrote:
> So... What's AliBoy on about, then, with his 200-track MP3 CDs?

Normal audio tracks are stored on the CD by time, so you can fit up to 74 mins or 80 mins depending on the CD.

MP3's are stored by the data size so you get to fill the CD with as many mp3's you can fit onto it. The mp3 file size will depend on the sample rate but I would say its best to use 128KB/s or better.

I usually get anything between 180-220 songs on an mp3 disk.
They only play through the MP3 players, not ordinary CD players.
Thu 18/03/04 at 13:59
Regular
"Long time no see!"
So... What's AliBoy on about, then, with his 200-track MP3 CDs?
Thu 11/03/04 at 17:25
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
You can fit up to 80 minutes of music of any quality onto a CD, but it's best only use decenty quality MP3s- ie 96 Kbp upwards.
Thu 11/03/04 at 17:10
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Aha. So, if I put MP3 files onto a blank CD-R from my PC, will that give me an "MP3 CD" that can take loads more songs than a normal one?
Thu 11/03/04 at 17:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Solskjær wrote:
> But... Don't you do that anyway?

No, .wma files are burnt to cd for normal cd players.
Thu 11/03/04 at 16:57
Regular
"Long time no see!"
But... Don't you do that anyway?
Thu 11/03/04 at 16:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Its a case of burning mp3's straight to cd and the player being able to recognise it.
Thu 11/03/04 at 16:30
Regular
"Long time no see!"
MP3 CD? What's that??

Is it like... A normal CD, only, with different coding or something, but it can hold so-much-more than an average blank CD?

Are they expensive to buy? Where can I get some?
SR don't seem to sell them...

Or, are you mistakingly talking about the memory stick-things you use with MP3 players in the first place?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.