GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm after a CD/MD-player for my car..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/03/04 at 14:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Basically, I'm after a decent CD (or, preferably, MiniDisc) player for my car at a good price, and I'm looking for help in choosing one.

First of all, I don't know where to look. I've looked in all the obvious places (like Argos, and the rest), yet, the only thing I've found that relates to what I want is a 10-CD thing from SONY that also plays MiniDiscs.

Ideally, I want something with a radio (digital or not - I don't really care), the ability to play CDs (at least 3, if it can't do MDs) and, most importantly of all, it has to play MiniDiscs.

I've got one of those FM-transmitter devices that SR sell, yet, in the long-run, I don't think that'll quite be as-good, somehow - although, it does make a good job of it, temporarily.

So, where should I be looking?
Which one should I get?
How much will it cost?

(And don't try to tempt me with speakers or any of that crap. :P )

Thank you.
Thu 04/03/04 at 14:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Basically, I'm after a decent CD (or, preferably, MiniDisc) player for my car at a good price, and I'm looking for help in choosing one.

First of all, I don't know where to look. I've looked in all the obvious places (like Argos, and the rest), yet, the only thing I've found that relates to what I want is a 10-CD thing from SONY that also plays MiniDiscs.

Ideally, I want something with a radio (digital or not - I don't really care), the ability to play CDs (at least 3, if it can't do MDs) and, most importantly of all, it has to play MiniDiscs.

I've got one of those FM-transmitter devices that SR sell, yet, in the long-run, I don't think that'll quite be as-good, somehow - although, it does make a good job of it, temporarily.

So, where should I be looking?
Which one should I get?
How much will it cost?

(And don't try to tempt me with speakers or any of that crap. :P )

Thank you.
Thu 04/03/04 at 15:07
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
What about an mp3Cd player for your car?

Dad bought one before christmas and its great as all you need is a few home made cd's of all your fav tunes.

I was going to get one but I got an iPod with an iTrip so can play my music through the car stereo with that.

Is there nowhere local to you that deals with car audio? could be worthwhile going there as they are likely to give you the best deal on fitting it and may give you something extra.

Tried looking on ebay?
Sat 06/03/04 at 20:31
Regular
"Long time no see!"
After doing a little reserach, a CD/MP3-combo. doesn't sound like such a bad idea, actually. I mean, there looks to be a decent £140 JVC one in the Argos catalogue I'm looking to add to this month's (empty) Birthday List ["Heh, heh, heh!"], and it seems much more affordable than the average £200+ ones I've seen that play MiniDiscs.

Yeah. If I get some blank CDs, and use that MP3 program I've got on my PC, I could just create my own "Best of..." CDs from scratch, rather than having to Random play my MDs through all-sorts.

Since I might go with this idea, what are the best kind of CD-Rs to get,(quality-wise), or doesn't it really matter? I've got some imation ones around somewhere, but I was wondering if SONY discs (for example) really are any better (like they are with MiniDiscs).

Also, on average, how many tracks do you reckon a blank CD can store?

Oh. And, if I see a CD/MP3 player than has "line-out input", does it mean I'd be able to play my protable MiniDisc player through it anyway? Or, would that require a "line-IN" port?

Just wondering.

Thanks. :)
Sat 06/03/04 at 20:34
"Uzi Lover"
Get an iPod and plug it in.

Sorted.
Sat 06/03/04 at 21:01
Regular
"Long time no see!"
And just how fugging expensive are those things?!

:P
Sat 06/03/04 at 21:26
"slightlyshortertagl"
AliBoy wrote:
> I was going to get one but I got an iPod with an iTrip so can play my
> music through the car stereo with that.

oooooo

Someone with an iTrip... :-) How does it work? Easy to use?
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:31
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
HálloHowArtThou wrote:

>
> Someone with an iTrip... :-) How does it work? Easy to use?

Plug it in the top of the ipod. import the mp3's it needs for your ipod as a playlist using itunes. Then its a case of picking a frequency, using your radio on that frequency and listening away. Its all in the instructions and easy to follow.
Simple
Sun 07/03/04 at 00:34
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Solskjær wrote:

> Since I might go with this idea, what are the best kind of CD-Rs to
> get,(quality-wise), or doesn't it really matter?

I don't find it matters much, avoid the really cheap ones though as you get what you pay for with them. But unless you have a really good stereo and speakers you wont really notice much in the difference of quality.

> Also, on average, how many tracks do you reckon a blank CD can
> store?

A normal audio CD maybe holds between 18 - 22 songs depending on the length of the songs.
MP3 CD can hold about 200 songs but again it depends on the sample rate of the mp3's and the overall size of them.
Thu 11/03/04 at 16:30
Regular
"Long time no see!"
MP3 CD? What's that??

Is it like... A normal CD, only, with different coding or something, but it can hold so-much-more than an average blank CD?

Are they expensive to buy? Where can I get some?
SR don't seem to sell them...

Or, are you mistakingly talking about the memory stick-things you use with MP3 players in the first place?
Thu 11/03/04 at 16:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Its a case of burning mp3's straight to cd and the player being able to recognise it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.